Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: project modfarer update #1  (Read 11682 times)

zbmott

• Ensign
    • View Profile
project modfarer update #1
« on: March 10, 2012, 11:52:42 AM »

It's been about a week since I decided to go forward with the Modfarer project, and things have been progressing swimmingly!  See for yourself:

(If the images below don't display, it's because they're locked up in my Google+ account.  You should be able to view the album directly on Google+:
https://plus.google.com/photos/112484727633166785807/albums/5718355027183403873?authkey=CJqLnZqA0_DZNA)

The home page:

The log in page:

The search page:

The registration page:

The backgrounds are randomly selected high-resolution images of celestial objects.  I'll try to keep y'all semi-regularly updated on my progress.  I'd like to do weekly updates, but that'll only happen if something noteworthy gets done weekly, and I won't make any promises about that.  Anyways, time to get back to work!

As always, let me know your questions/comments/concerns/suggestions/etc.

megal00t

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: project modfarer update #1
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 12:20:47 PM »

pwetty ;)

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 01:01:35 PM »

Um... I'm being a bit stupid here, but what's this? :-\

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 01:02:13 PM »

pwetty ;)
Either a typo or a new word?

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 01:03:25 PM »

And when is this coming out? I know that devs of mods (such as me ;)) will love this. Great work :D

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 02:29:00 PM »

Looking excellent so far. The Log In and Register pages are somewhat unnecessary though--you could just as easily make a little log in/register widget that sits at the top of all the other pages. Other than that, no significant criticism, though I think a blue color scheme might suit Starfarer a bit better.

Again, if you need art assets, don't hesitate to hit me up. Having users load randomly selected high-rez images every time they go to a new page probably isn't the most efficient use of a server's bandwidth.

rada660

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 02:31:25 PM »

i second that

Arrath

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 05:38:11 PM »

The Fallout3/NV/Oblivion/Skyrim Nexus of Starfarer mods, I'm guessing.

zbmott

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 07:49:13 PM »

i second that

Modfarer is a web design project I've started to support the blossoming Starfarer modding community.  I've posted about it before:

Here
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=1392.0

And here
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=1290.0

zbmott

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 07:50:35 PM »

And when is this coming out? I know that devs of mods (such as me ;)) will love this. Great work :D

I'm hoping phase 1 will be done by April, but I'm also a full-time student and a part time intern, so that may be wishful thinking.

zbmott

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 08:04:38 PM »

Looking excellent so far. The Log In and Register pages are somewhat unnecessary though--you could just as easily make a little log in/register widget that sits at the top of all the other pages. Other than that, no significant criticism, though I think a blue color scheme might suit Starfarer a bit better.

Again, if you need art assets, don't hesitate to hit me up. Having users load randomly selected high-rez images every time they go to a new page probably isn't the most efficient use of a server's bandwidth.

Without getting too technical, the way the site is written you only actually get one background image per visit to the site, unless you refresh it a bunch of times.  This doesn't come across in the images because I chose them specifically to show off the better-looking backgrounds I've come up with.

So far I've only used NASA materials, but I'm open to anything.  If you feel like artisting me a galaxy or a nebula or a bitchin' space cruiser, as long as it plays nicely with the starry background, I'll be happy to add it to the rotation.

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 10:45:00 AM »

Without getting too technical, the way the site is written you only actually get one background image per visit to the site, unless you refresh it a bunch of times.  This doesn't come across in the images because I chose them specifically to show off the better-looking backgrounds I've come up with.

So far I've only used NASA materials, but I'm open to anything.  If you feel like artisting me a galaxy or a nebula or a bitchin' space cruiser, as long as it plays nicely with the starry background, I'll be happy to add it to the rotation.
Personally, I don't think that having pictures of celestial objects as the background to the website works all that well. I imagine something more along the lines of the main Fractal Softworks website, with a nice looking image at the top while being mostly black everywhere else. Perhaps the blue grid could be incorporated into it, if it seems to be lacking.

If not, I could whip up a large, static background fitting with Starfarer's color scheme that could be used, working similarly to www.space.com 's.

zbmott

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 10:13:01 PM »

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from a little bit.  Too much "space" and not enough "space-themed computer game".  I'm hoping that'll change a little bit when there's some actual content on the site, and I start featuring screen shots of things.  Still, there's a certain amount of grandeur (however misplaced?) that the planets 'n things convey.

What do you think of a starship dominating the background?  I have an idea in my head of a big ol' something (maybe similar to a StarCraft battlecruiser?) positioned along the z-axis, maybe fighting something?

medikohl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 12:00:04 AM »

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from a little bit.  Too much "space" and not enough "space-themed computer game".  I'm hoping that'll change a little bit when there's some actual content on the site, and I start featuring screen shots of things.  Still, there's a certain amount of grandeur (however misplaced?) that the planets 'n things convey.

What do you think of a starship dominating the background?  I have an idea in my head of a big ol' something (maybe similar to a StarCraft battlecruiser?) positioned along the z-axis, maybe fighting something?
just grab some impressive battle screen shots. use a few vanilla, use a few from mods, use them as background material.
"Captain! You can't call our greatest dreadnought 'The Parrot'"
"Watch me"
Spiral Arms: Ship Sprites for Everyone

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2012, 10:25:02 AM »

That's something that I could probably do. It might not look extremely amazing as I'm not a pro artist or anything, but a big, decent looking spaceship wouldn't be too difficult. The ship in my signature is one example of what I can do, as well as the ships in this picture:
Pages: [1] 2 3