Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Combat use of Solar Shielding  (Read 4919 times)

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Combat use of Solar Shielding
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2019, 12:55:24 AM »

Solar shielding is very op cheap, and would be actually better than Hardened Shields vs energy (cheaper and would work for armor and hull).
At this point the only good reason not to put this hullmod on almost every combat ship is being intentionally sub-optimal (which, admittedly happens with AI designs) or knowing for certain that enemy side uses no significant energy weapons.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 03:21:50 AM by TaLaR »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2019, 05:51:15 AM »

So far, the only enemy that relies heavily on energy weapons are Remnants.  Everyone else either relies on ballistics or a balance of ballistics and energy.

If the most important enemies rely almost entirely on energy weapons, you bet I would squeeze Solar Shielding somewhere.  Well, at least I would if it works for all defenses.  Currently, against humans, Solar Shielding is not important enough unless I want it more for storm-riding than protection from energy weapons.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2019, 06:53:30 AM »

I already thought of Solar Shielding as something of an autopick when fighting against Remnants, partially because of the travel involved. Now my high-tech ship will get the benefits, too, which makes it all the better.
It's not, but IIRC it's supposed to, and the phrasing on the hullmod description indicates that it would. Made it apply to energy damage taken by shields as well.
It's supposed to reduce energy damage to just shields and armour, or hull as well?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2019, 09:00:28 AM »

Hull as well, which it already did.

SapphireSage

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2019, 10:44:26 AM »

So wait, it currently affects all energy damage to ship including shields right?

I will say that when I go exploring, I will intentionally setup all of my ships with Solar shielding, both for speed in doing as many missions as possible by storm surfing, but it also gives the side effect of making the only real exploration threat, the Remnants, a bit easier as well. So I consider Solar shielding to be one of the best mods for exploration. (The derelicts are so weak that they're not a threat to anything much and could probably be defeated by a decently piloted Sunder with HIL and two Ion cannons).

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2019, 10:51:37 AM »

It doesn't currently affect shields, but it does affect both hull and armor. It will affect shields as well.

Psigun

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2019, 11:19:35 AM »

I just look at the combat benefits as a bonus to go along with the huge economic savings it gives to running an exploratory fleet. It just so happens that the main enemy you run into exploring, Remnant, also gets the most combat benefit from Solar Shielding when you face them as well due to all the energy weapon use. Love me some Solar Shielding! 75% less supply recovery from storms and stars hugely outweighs the combat portion of the mod. I get you're specifically asking about combat, but it's hard to ignore the economics behind it when running to the far corners of the map to analyze, survey, and scavenge.

I play more of an economic/exploration oriented game than a combat oriented game so I am probably biased.

Awe

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2019, 11:49:15 AM »

Imho, not very useful mod right now. At exploring stage im prefer to have small fleet and avoid high threat systems. Storms hit, but while fleet is cheap, effect is insignificant. And at the point when I can afford to farm high threat systems its almost useless for me too, just because I prefer to use ships with shield tanking and mod don't affect shields yet.
Pages: 1 [2]