Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [0.9.1a-RC8] Fighters freeze after their carrier retreats  (Read 1648 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
[0.9.1a-RC8] Fighters freeze after their carrier retreats
« on: May 23, 2019, 05:48:31 AM »

This is for my AI carriers that I order to retreat.  I fought a difficult battle, formed a deathball near the bottom of the map (tried to place rally point for all at the bottom edge, which is moved one square away from edge as enforced), I fight the battle, carriers run out of peak performance, and I order one or two to retreat.  Carrier retreats, and the fighters then freeze in place completely.  I do not remember if they rotate in place, and I have not checked if they can shoot if an enemy gets close enough.  Fighters should either follow the carrier or attack a bit then flee, but they just freeze in place.

MajorTheRed

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a-RC8] Fighters freeze after their carrier retreats
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2019, 06:02:33 AM »

I'll add something since I got a similar problem: a station module with fighter was destroyed, and its wings moved on top of the drifting wreck and got stuck there, not moving outside the hulk, not firing, and unable to be shot since the hulk was stopping all projectiles.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 07:09:09 AM »

Thank you, made a note to check into this. This is intermittent, right? I've definitely seen fighters stick around acting normally after the carrier is gone (whether retreated or disabled), hmm.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 08:14:07 AM »

Always happens for me as well, I think they do shoot when enemies get near (if they got ammo left).
Doesn't help them much though, since they're easy pray for the enemy, due to them not moving.

In one such a fight I created a defense point in front of all those stranded fighters, so the enemy wouldn't have a field day popping them all. :)

Zhentar

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 07:34:56 PM »

I see it intermittently as well. And a possibly related issue where some ally ships in station battles will stay rooted in place one large square south of the station.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 02:50:36 AM »

...a possibly related issue where some ally ships in station battles will stay rooted in place one large square south of the station.
Definitely unrelated. Alex explained somewhere that this is purposely done, although I forgot the exact reason.
If I had to guess, AI having too little space to maneuver properly and getting into the way of the station. So they wait behind it until there's room.

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 04:38:57 AM »

During disengagement battle drones from my retreated off-screen shepherd remained and attacked enemy frigate 3 squares from screen edge.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Update:  This bug also occurs if the carrier's CR decays to zero during battle.  Recently, I saw enemy fighters freeze suddenly, and my shots were passing though them without any effect until I got close to them to wake them up.  Then they rotated in place and fired at my ship, but then because solid enough and vulnerable to be destroyed by our PD.  I quickly checked the map, and the enemy Astral they come from had a big red X on it, telling me it just ran out of CR (and time to rush in and kill it).

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2019, 11:06:44 AM »

Thank you, made a note.