Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: 0.9.1a RC7 Weird dephase-rephase cycle on Doom while retreating  (Read 910 times)

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile

Spotted this during a fight when I ordered my Doom to retreat. 

For some reason while retreating it would cloak until it got to about 25% Flux, de-cloak and vent, then cloak again repeating the cycle.  I figured it would be difficult to duplicate, but luckily it seems to happen during the simulator fights. 

I also tried removing the commander, but it seems to happen with any of my Doom's...in fact, I stripped the Doom of everything, started an empty battle simulation and immediately ordered a retreat and it did the same thing.

Just checking while I'm at it; "Direct retreat" doesn't seem to use shields while retreating (so I've found it to be a bit of a death sentence in the midst of battle), is that by design in order to make a quick exit (get the flux to zero to make a speedy exit)?

I've attached my savegame to an email and sent it your way if you want to observe the Doom's behaviour during a retreat (if you can't duplicate it with your own savegame).
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 05:25:00 AM by Baqar79 »

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: 0.9.1a RC7 Weird dephase-rephase cycle on Doom while retreating
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 06:07:28 AM »

They do this because they move faster when phased. And the flux cap is probably so they're able to defend themselves, should their retreat be interrupted.

It's not just a retreat thing. Set a Doom to capture a point and it'll approach it the same way, as long as no enemies are in sight.

What I think could be improved is that they stay in phase up to 50% flux. Otherwise it really is a lot of cloak-decloak.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 06:11:08 AM by Schwartz »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 08:21:00 AM »

Thank you for the save! Yeah, this is intended behavior - could probably be optimized, but generally the goal is to get where it's going faster, and this does help it do that.

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 07:33:36 PM »

Ok, thanks for the explanations; I appreciate the extra info on this behaviour happening in other circumstances as well Schwartz.

When it occurred in battle it was a bit concerning because the Doom wouldn't make enough distance from the missiles it was surrounded by before de-cloaking again (well that's unfair, just enough distance to keep me on my toes!), when it could clearly reach safety if it would of cloaked longer to put more distance between itself and the missiles.

Any words on that second issue, is direct retreat meant to drop the shields to make for a speedy retreat? (I'm assuming it is by design, even looking at the description it makes sense that this is the case, just wanted to be sure).  Part of why I wasn't sure is I assumed that "Retreat" was a kind of 'Fire weapons on any nearby targets while slowly retreating', while "Direct Retreat" would be a 'Ignore firing weapons to conserve flux to keep the shields up (if under direct fire), while making the speediest exit possible'.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2019, 09:42:38 PM »

Direct retreat makes the ship face in the direction is going, regular retreat lets it face nearby enemies; that's the only difference.

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2019, 10:08:29 PM »

Ahh, well in that case, you can see what I mean with that save I provided.

Select one of the Apogee's for the simulator and choose an opponent (I went with the sim-Paragon).  Get within firing range of the ship and then order a "Direct Retreat".  Shields go down while it rotates away from the opponent and stay down during the "Direct Retreat" process.  My Apogee in the case of "Direct Retreat" was destroyed, though normal "Retreat" does that forward facing retreat with shields up.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 06:38:48 PM »

Aha, right - I was incorrect, actually; it'll also tend to keep front shields down. Basically it's intended mostly for 1) civilian ships and 2) ships with burn drive or similar systems.

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 07:47:12 PM »

Ok, thanks, that explains it.