Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Can't start the game at all. Nothing appears.  (Read 1303 times)

fenos

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Can't start the game at all. Nothing appears.
« on: May 17, 2019, 10:59:38 AM »

After starting the launcher, I choose start, and nothing happens after it. I can see java running in task manager, but it always uses up same amount of memory, always loads up CPU on 25%, and doesn't do nothing. I also don't see any window for the game. Output log doesn't show any errors, but here it is anyway: https://pastebin.com/bEh7mRKP

Anything I can do?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Can't start the game at all. Nothing appears.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 11:12:42 AM »

Hi - sorry about the trouble!

Could you try running the game using starsector.bat, found here?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core

Also, were you able to run the game before (perhaps a prior version), or is this the first time running it on this computer?

fenos

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 11:16:00 AM »

First time, and I did tried the bat file, and logs are the same.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 11:19:31 AM »

Hmm, this is very strange. Is it possible that the launcher is coming up in the background for some reason and needs to be alt-tabbed to? Or is on another monitor? The logs look like everything is working right, so it's not clear what might be going wrong.

Another thing to try: if you open up data/config/setting.json, there's a line like this:

"legacyLauncher":false,

Try changing it to:

"legacyLauncher":true,

And seeing if that helps. That might get the launcher to show up, but you may or may not have the same issue when running the game proper from the launcher.

Also: are your graphics drivers up-to-date?

fenos

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 11:23:31 AM »

Hmm, this is very strange. Is it possible that the launcher is coming up in the background for some reason and needs to be alt-tabbed to? Or is on another monitor? The logs look like everything is working right, so it's not clear what might be going wrong.

Another thing to try: if you open up data/config/setting.json, there's a line like this:

"legacyLauncher":false,

Try changing it to:

"legacyLauncher":true,

And seeing if that helps. That might get the launcher to show up, but you may or may not have the same issue when running the game proper from the launcher.

Also: are your graphics drivers up-to-date?
Can't keep them up to date, but i have the lastest they have, since I'm running on GTS 250 videocard. Launcher works just fine, but when i press play the game, java just is here, but not running the game.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 11:49:14 AM »

Hmm - could you possibly show me the log when running it from the launcher? Might be something there to point us in the right direction.

Also probably worth a shot: right-clicking on the icon and messing with various compatibility settings, just to see if anything makes a difference. Along the same lines, possibly something in the Nvidia control panel might help.

I'm not sure what the issue is - I don't recall seeing a similar problem before. Are you running any other software that might potentially interfere, such as some kind of video capture, MSI Afterburner, or (a longer shot) an anti-virus?

Also: I'd suggest trying to run the game in Administrator mode.

fenos

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 11:58:38 AM »

YESSS IT WAS AFTERBURNER ALL ALONG!!!
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 09:46:03 PM »

Awesome!!! So glad that was it and you got it working, I hope you enjoy the game!

(Edit: oh, hey, you posted this a while back and I somehow didn't see it. My bad!)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 09:49:23 PM by Alex »