Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Decided to make a personal-use mod from my settings tweaks, but it won't show up  (Read 1606 times)

BHunterSEAL

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

For version-control and mod compatibility, I decided to take my edits to vanilla settings.json and make a local mod. However, I can't seem to make it show up in the launcher. I don't have any experience modding SS (or anything else, really) so I was hoping someone could point out where I've gone wrong--I've been through the modding wiki and documentation and can't spot the problem. It's just mod_info.json and a few settings strings so I've included everything below; the internal brackets were added while I was troubleshooting, I get the impression they're not necessary if the arguments aren't arrays.

mods\Custom Settings\mod_info.json
Code
{
"id":"customsettings",
"name":"Custom Settings",
"author":"BHunterSEAL",
"utility":"true",
"version":"0.9",
"description":"Slightly reduced combat speed, Academy stipend disabled, commission rewards slightly buffed and supply/demand.",
"GameVersion":"0.9.1a",
}

mods\Custom Settings\data\config\settings.json
Code
{
{"oneClickJumpPoints":false,
"altMouseMoveToMassTransfer":false,
"combatSpeedMult":0.9f,},

{"impactSoundVolumeMult":1.0,},

{"enableSpacerStart":true,
"enableStipend":false,},

{"economyDeficitPriceIncrPerUnit":0.15,
"economyDeficitPriceMultMax":1.65,
"economyExcessPriceDecrPerUnit":0.11,
"economyExcessPriceMultMin":0.63,},

{"baseSystemBounty":1000,
"minSystemBounties":0,
"maxSystemBounties":5,},

{"factionCommissionBounty":500,
"factionCommissionStipendBase":25000,
"factionCommissionStipendPerLevel":2000,},

}

These are all running fine out of the vanilla settings file, but I noticed in the documentation that the launcher won't show mods which attempt to alter mod-restricted strings in that file--none of my changes were in that commented section of the file, but is it possible something I changed is on a restricted list anyway?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 08:45:49 PM by BHunterSEAL »

Morathar

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

The name of the version label should be "gameVersion" (lower-case g, upper-case V) rather than "GameVersion" (upper-case G, upper-case V). I think your mod should show up correctly in the launcher if you change that string. Also, you definitely shouldn't have those extra brackets in settings.json - they may screw up the parser.

Avanitia

• Commander
  • Local Egg Demon
    • View Profile

The name of the version label should be "gameVersion" (lower-case g, upper-case V) rather than "GameVersion" (upper-case G, upper-case V). I think your mod should show up correctly in the launcher if you change that string. Also, you definitely shouldn't have those extra brackets in settings.json - they may screw up the parser.

Yep, you're correct here - I just checked the "GameVersion" - it doesn't work, mod doesn't show up in launcher. "gameVersion" makes mod show up properly in launcher.

And yes, remove the extra brackets.

Spoiler
{
   "oneClickJumpPoints":false,
   "altMouseMoveToMassTransfer":false,
   "combatSpeedMult":0.9f,

"impactSoundVolumeMult":1.0,

"enableSpacerStart":true,
   "enableStipend":false,

"economyDeficitPriceIncrPerUnit":0.15,
   "economyDeficitPriceMultMax":1.65,
   "economyExcessPriceDecrPerUnit":0.11,
   "economyExcessPriceMultMin":0.63,

"baseSystemBounty":1000,
   "minSystemBounties":0,
   "maxSystemBounties":5,

"factionCommissionBounty":500,
   "factionCommissionStipendBase":25000,
   "factionCommissionStipendPerLevel":2000,

}
[close]

That's how it should look - check how vanilla does things, it's usually good idea to check it first ;)
You haven't played Starsector unless your storage has one thousand Vulcans in it.

BHunterSEAL

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Thanks for your help, I had no idea it was case-sensitive! All working now.

Does anyone know what impactSoundVolumeMult does? I assume it scales sound effects for impacts (of ships, weapons?) with 1=100%, but I couldn't find this noted anywhere.