Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: More fleet doctrine settings  (Read 3035 times)

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
More fleet doctrine settings
« on: May 14, 2019, 06:34:17 AM »

So we all love to play around with fleet doctrine. I noticed something cool the other day: They actually use player-made loadouts for hulls that have them. But they seem to mix and match these with other general loadouts. Reading the threads for the last couple of days has given me some ideas that could make it into the fleet doctrine settings.

The settings are already fairly in-depth, but they all work more like suggestions than actual rules. This can be both a good and a bad thing. Good, when the game tries to match fleets up to their intended size, or finding alternate fittings to stay within OP limits which may be different from player ships. Bad when you see ships you don't want in your fleets, or loadouts with weapons you have excluded.

Here's a couple of possibilities:

- The ability to set a desired burn level for small / medium / large fleets. If you have Atlas selected as the only cargo hauler, the game won't put Atlas in fast medium-sized fleets. This could be a 'soft' setting as the ones currently in-game are.

- Instead of a 'none' and 'preferred' status for weapons and hulls, open this up to 3 settings. 'Forbidden', 'allowed' and 'preferred'. More control for the player, as well as the possibility of *** it up.

- Separate settings for trade fleets vs. combat fleets. I may want to stick a few Mules in a combat fleet, but make Prometheus or Atlas the mainstay of trade fleets.

- The ability to set and / or build preferred loadouts for fleet doctrine yourself. This could either be separate of, or it could replace the preferred weapon list completely.

If you have any others, feel free to post them. I don't expect these will make it into the game, as complexity for its own sake is not something Alex usually goes for. But maybe we'll dig up a nugget or two.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: More fleet doctrine settings
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2019, 05:22:06 PM »

Okay, I guess folks aren't as interested in micromanagement as I am. ;)

miro

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2019, 08:25:02 PM »

I'd like to be able to set up patrol routes for fleets and stuff. Have them focus their efforts in certain parts of the system that I think might be at risk of Piracy.

I'd be down with the ability to fully customise each "fleet type" that gets spawned. All Onslaughts all the time for example.
Hey brah.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 03:44:30 AM »

I haven't tested this; if you remove all vanilla ship designs from the "autofit" screen and only put your custom ship in there, would that make the AI only use your design?

If that's the case, you can buy an Atlas or Prometheus, delete its vanilla designs, give it the Military Subsystems and Augmented Drive Field, and save the design. No more Atlas/Prometheus slowing AI fleets down.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 03:46:38 AM »

No, that's what I've been doing. I remove the defaults and just put my own fittings in there. The faction uses them, but it also uses a bunch of other designs. And it even substitutes stuff. Like for my Drover design with Spark drones, it will substitute Wasps.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 03:57:30 AM »

Hmm, that's a bummer. If Alex could implement that AI will only build ships according to what you have in the Autofit screen, then that'd be awesome.
Although I dunno how you'd work around the 10% extra OP someone's character might have, since the AI wouldn't get that bonus and would end up with missing weapons etc. on ships.

That the AI substitute Spark drones isn't that strange at least, since there aren't any blueprints for those.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 04:04:52 AM »

Still pretty cool that it's trading drones for drones, not putting something like Broadswords in there.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 04:10:35 AM »

Indeed it is! :)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2019, 12:20:36 PM »

Woah, I had no idea the AI used the player variants! Cool!

Ah, and I admit that of the suggestions I would probably only use the blacklist for hulls and weapons. I don't think the others are bad ideas, just that I doubt I would micro that much.