Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Please don't make Starsector an exclusive to any store  (Read 6826 times)

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Please don't make Starsector an exclusive to any store
« on: May 10, 2019, 11:47:18 AM »

I thought this went without saying but seeing the recent tweets I felt like creating this topic. I understand the allure of an exclusivity deal but please don't throw us, the player base, under the bus. I'd much rather have the option to support the game directly through the current launcher in a storefront-free form or through a platform of my choosing.

Terenin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Please don't make Starsector an exclusive to any store
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 12:11:50 PM »

I'm just going to go ahead and second this. I've been having a LOT of fun the last week playing this game pretty extensively, in spite of a few annoying factors, and I'd love to see this game reach as many people as humanly possible. Simply putting it on as many stores as will allow it should be the default decision for any game-devs, imho. I'd gladly re-buy it (even though I already bought it, obviously) if I had to and I'd love to be able to point my friends in it's direction when released, I've not done so yet as most don't care to try games before a 1.0 release, for various reasons.

You got a flawed gem here, everyone should be able to have a go at enjoying it :)

Yes, I did change avatar and sig before I did anything else. I have not had the pleasure of being on a forum in years.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 12:16:58 PM »

Just to clarify, 1) this isn't something I'm seriously considering, and 2) it's hard for me to see a scenario where I would stop selling the game directly from the website.

(At some point, I'd have to make some decisions about which storefronts, if any, to put the game on. "Put it everywhere" is not generally very appealing because of the amount of overhead it adds as far as releasing new builds, etc. But, yeah, selling directly is ultimately my preference; store stuff would be in addition to that, not instead of. Unless, like, somebody paid me a few million dollars, but I - sadly - don't see that happening.)

SapphireSage

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 02:02:42 PM »

Unless, like, somebody paid me a few million dollars, but I - sadly - don't see that happening.)

Maybe just sarcasm? or maybe hasn't heard about the ludicrous amount of money that Epic Games has been throwing at literally anything that would attract as much attention as possible to strong arm the market like me bombarding and robbing Sindria into decivilization to strong arm the fuel market (even going so far as to do it for Kickstarted games that promised Steam availability).

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 02:06:33 PM »

Even if Alex was offered a year long exclusivity deal right now, he still would be free to sell it anywhere by the time 1.0 releases. Long dev cycle is long.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 02:06:36 PM »

Actually the smartest move would be to DO a one years Epic Store exclusive now with 0.9.1 (while maintaining the current direct sales), cash in a fat check, and the exclusive will be over just in time for the 1.0 global release!

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2019, 03:21:19 PM »

Actually the smartest move would be to DO a one years Epic Store exclusive now with 0.9.1 (while maintaining the current direct sales), cash in a fat check, and the exclusive will be over just in time for the 1.0 global release!
That is with the assumption that Epic would be interested, which I highly doubt, since unfortunately this game is, to my knowledge, not really well-known. :-\

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 05:17:03 PM »

I think it should go up on Steam EA earlier rather than later; may as well get the EA buzz and sales there.  I still think this game's going to make a splash when it's on a platform with more eyes; right now, it's basically all Word Of Mouth.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 06:36:37 PM »

I think it should go up on Steam EA earlier rather than later; may as well get the EA buzz and sales there.  I still think this game's going to make a splash when it's on a platform with more eyes; right now, it's basically all Word Of Mouth.
Yeah no... I've seen people on steam react to a few months of a wait. With SS's dev times? It could screw the only real shot Alex has at a good steam release
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

ahrenjb

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 06:57:02 PM »

If Alex got an offer of a big fat 7 figure check for an exclusive release, he could walk away from game development forever and I wouldn't even be mad. Contrary to tyhe beliefs of some fans across all types of media, the content creators life as a human being is more important than any amount of fan furor. An early, financially independent retirement is about as good as it gets in terms of opportunity to pursue true personal fulfillment (whatever that looks like).

I doubt he's holding his breath waiting for this to happen, but regardless we should all be ready to cheer for the guy if he made enough to do it.

Choosing to accept the reality that George RR Martin may legitimately never finish his next novel, let alone the series, was a little disappointing. I sure can't blame the guy though! I wouldn't be working either!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 07:06:28 PM by ahrenjb »

From a Faster Time

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 11:37:05 PM »

If Alex got an offer of a big fat 7 figure check for an exclusive release, he could walk away from game development forever and I wouldn't even be mad. Contrary to tyhe beliefs of some fans across all types of media, the content creators life as a human being is more important than any amount of fan furor. An early, financially independent retirement is about as good as it gets in terms of opportunity to pursue true personal fulfillment (whatever that looks like).

I doubt he's holding his breath waiting for this to happen, but regardless we should all be ready to cheer for the guy if he made enough to do it.
Kinda sick of supporting an indie developer that provides something new to the market that people are starving for only for them to jump ship and abandon their baby at the first sign of money.
The whole reason these games are so good, like Starsector or Factorio is that it's removed from all the cancer of normal gaming industry.
Sure I agree it's nice for the guy who gets the money, but as a consumer I care about getting good games with least amount of cancer possible, the industry is starved of that right now.
I hope games like this provide plenty of profit to make the game to the dev/s, but at no point to I desire somebody to step in and sink their claws into the vision of the game that the developers didn't intend.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2019, 02:40:16 AM »

Because keeping devs on the brink of bankruptcy is such a noble and worthy goal.

But sure, when someone that worked thousands of hours on their passion project "jump ship and abandon their baby at the first sign of money" is only a sign of them being greedy bastards. No way they could take that road because it's their last chance to avoid starving.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 02:43:38 AM by Tartiflette »

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2019, 06:14:37 AM »

It's not only about the consumers, it's shooting yourself in the foot too, especially in the case for Epic. By making such a call you guarantee lower sales, much higher piracy rates and an alienated consumer base which will be much more inclined to not recommend your game. All in turn will destroy any chances of making a successful sequel or expansion content, which won't be getting any money from Epic. In other words, it's a shortsighted solution that sacrifices long term goals.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 06:16:31 AM by Cyan Leader »

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2019, 06:25:59 AM »

Unfortunately the easy payoffs are often ethically questionable because they involve giving the baby away to foster parents. I don't think it's fair to criticize this either way. Some devs are in the game to land a hit and make the big bucks. Some devs feel a drive to create a certain game.

Hell, if we look at a game like Dwarf Fortress.. Toady does very well through donations. Probably not feasible for SS with its much tighter scope and the finish line now in sight, but I could see something like this. A game that continues to be improved after 1.0 as long as donations keep rolling in is a game I might actually donate to.

I don't know Epic, but it seems to be no good. Steam is also dubious; they take a big chunk. But platforms like GOG or Humble could fit.

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2019, 06:39:22 AM »

Funny you bring Toady up since Dwarf Fortress has recently been added to Steam and is currently the 10th most wishlisted game there. Toady was in dire need of cash due to family medical complications but even in such a severe situation he understood that the best for him was not to sign any sort of exclusivity deal that would have tarnished its reputation, and instead opted for an option that will keep his playerbase happy.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 07:23:13 AM by Cyan Leader »
Pages: [1] 2 3