Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 81

Author Topic: [0.97a] Starship Legends 2.5.2 - Extra flavor for ships, crew, and NPCs  (Read 768622 times)

yourleader

• Ensign
    • View Profile

> Being hostile with Hegemony
> Order an invasion to take control one of their planets
> When waiting for preparation, adventuring around
> [REDACTED]
> Ended with impressive victory
> Hegemony relationship +5 become not hostile anymore
> Invasion canceled, because they are not hostile anymore
> No War refund

I wasted millions for war, just to gain 5 point of relationship LOL

The relationship change sometimes create weird events
> Hegemony send AI inspection fleet.
> They are already hostile, so the colony order itself to resist.
> Adventuring around because i bet they wont even chip colony defense.
> [REDACTED] happen when they are close to my system
> impressive victory, relationship +5, Hegemony not hostile anymore
> the resist order auto canceled itself and change to comply.
> space police steal 5 Alpha cores and go
> i rush back to my colony, try to track them down, but they are already gone
MAXIMUM RAGE

Seriously, can we exclude relationship change when:
- There is an invasion from us to them and from them to us going on
- AI inspection
- Expedition

That will be nice
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 04:04:05 AM by yourleader »

Algester

• Ensign
    • View Profile

> Being hostile with Hegemony
> Order an invasion to take control one of their planets
> When waiting for preparation, adventuring around
> [REDACTED]
> Ended with impressive victory
> Hegemony relationship +5 become not hostile anymore
> Invasion canceled, because they are not hostile anymore
> No War refund

I wasted millions for war, just to gain 5 point of relationship LOL

The relationship change sometimes create weird events
> Hegemony send AI inspection fleet.
> They are already hostile, so the colony order itself to resist.
> Adventuring around because i bet they wont even chip colony defense.
> [REDACTED] happen when they are close to my system
> impressive victory, relationship +5, Hegemony not hostile anymore
> the resist order auto canceled itself and change to comply.
> space police steal 5 Alpha cores and go
> i rush back to my colony, try to track them down, but they are already gone
MAXIMUM RAGE

Seriously, can we exclude relationship change when:
- There is an invasion from us to them and from them to us going on
- AI inspection
- Expedition

That will be nice
this seems to be a nexerelin thing rather than starship legends...

yourleader

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Not really. nexerelin handle reputation reaction base from reputation change. Starship legend interference the reputation through impressive victory bonus, causing this to happen.
There can be two way i can think of as a work around
- Impressive victory bonus wont apply on faction that is hostile or vengeful to you. ( i mean it will cause jealously and grief more than respect at this condition)

Or

- Impressive victory bonus wont apply to faction that is attacking or planning to attack your colony (invasion, disruption, AI inspection)

Both of these will solve the problem

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

The "impressive victory" mechanic isn't from starship legends or nexerelin, it's from ruthless sector.

@yourleader: Thanks for the feedback! Both of those issues could arise from reputation changes occurring for any reason, but I'll admit the randomized nature of impressive victory rep boosts exacerbate problems like that since it means the player can't control rep changes directly.

- Impressive victory bonus wont apply on faction that is hostile or vengeful to you.
This seems sensible and it would solve both problems cleanly, so I'll probably end up going this route.

yourleader

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Can we have extra option that the other fleet consider your fleet's reputation before attacking you?
I mean you have few ships, but they are all legend ships, with all good trait, and very high combat rating. Suddenly a little group of pirate show up, with no  special trait and D-ships, telling you to give up and go to hell. Pirates are ruthless, but in this condition they are complete idiots. The description told you that even planet-bound people know about how powerful is your fleet, yet fools from everywhere still don't know how to stay out of your way.

There should be a feature that other fleets respect your reputation, or even run away when they see you. seeing 3 little pirate ships trying to pick a fight with a Legendary Paragon is quite a pain.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile

That'd be the definition of feature creep. Mechanics like that aren't Starship Legends' job.

yourleader

• Ensign
    • View Profile

That'd be the definition of feature creep. Mechanics like that aren't Starship Legends' job.
Well... i'm not demanding it? it's literally a suggestion. The author can say "no" and so that's it. If the author feels like i'm harassing him then just tell me and i will shut. By the way, is there a mod that have such feature? that's like you said, do something that's not "starship legends' job"?

truecore

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Well... i'm not demanding it? it's literally a suggestion. The author can say "no" and so that's it. If the author feels like i'm harassing him then just tell me and i will shut. By the way, is there a mod that have such feature? that's like you said, do something that's not "starship legends' job"?
Well, to provide a counter-argument, I know many, many, many veterans who get into fights at bars with nobodies. Usually, the nobody is the type of drunk that constantly feels emasculated by someone elses' strength, and feels the need to beat them to prove their own power. Other times, they take issue with the politics that surround the military, and project that onto the veteran. Either way, the fame and power of the veteran become the target of the others animosity.

A pirate might seek to fight someone famous to prove themselves. They may take issue with how the famous person rose to power. They might think that the famous person is just famous because it's a fluke. Or, they might not care about the combat reputation, and just see the wealth and go for that. Fame is no reason at all to dissuade people from coming after you. If anything, fame means even more, and usually stupider, people will try.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Can we have extra option that the other fleet consider your fleet's reputation before attacking you?
For the moment, no. I get where you're coming from regarding suicidal pirates and I think something like that could be cool if done right, but there are a few technical limitations preventing something like that from being feasible. The biggest problem is that I would have to override the AI of pretty much every fleet in the game, which would cause all kinds of incompatibility problems with any other mod that also affects fleet AI.

Steer

• Ensign
    • View Profile

How do I view what reputations specific ships in my fleet have?

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Ships with reputations will have a new "hullmod" that shows all the effects of their reputations.

Hamakua

• Ensign
    • View Profile

New to modding - but long time starsector player.  Thought I'd share some kudos and observations.  Love the mod. It's likely one of my favorite.
While I sometimes don't like how much the mod punishes taking hull damage -it only really comes about in the early game before you get a pick of your fleet comp so I've since gotten used to it.  The way the mod weighs fights encourages "some" cheese - "bring sacrifical decoys so you can hog all the damage" etc.
Further, I'm not sure if this is the mod or Ruthless - but it does not fairly weigh being out-numbered in the difficulty calculation - I don't know if there is a way to fix that.  I'll get an "easy" rated battle where me and another cruiser have to go up against a dozen frigates and it will say I've got the easy job.  Could also be about the Dmods.  Once again, just an early game issue when you are climbing up through fleet strength.  Once I hit mid game it's no longer an issue.

I don't know if you are in the mood for ideas but reading through the thread made me have a few.
It seems the majority of "issues" mod users run into seem to be with transparency as to why something did or did not happen - I'm not sure if this is possible in the mod - but lets say a player has a 100% difficulty 400% accomplished battle - but no one gets promoted nor do negative buffs get purged or positive buffs applied -  Would it be possible for there to be a little blurb in the battle report where "nothing happens" but "could have happned - just didn't this time"?

Example.  100/400% battle, no hull damage etc. Famous ship with one negative issue - lets say something like limited weapon range.   "The battle went great - but we are still working on those defective targeting systems, a little more time captain"/scottish accent.  or something like that - I don't even know if it would be possible and I do know it would be a significant amount of text/flavor text work if it were - just a thought.  Just something to let users know "the dice rolled - but nothing happened, but something could still happen, the dice are still rolling" etc.

Connected to the above and my general love of the mod - any possibility of a mechanic involving an officer being promoted from within "The crew" of a ship?  Perhaps one that hits famous without have an officer leading them.  I imagine you could have it trigger next time you go to a station and "visit the bar."
"You take the shuttle down to the local bar."
"You notice a particularly jovial group that you recognize from one of your fleet's cruisers, the [name tag Famous (no officer) trigger].   You approach the crew and signal the bar tender you are covering their tab"  (I don't code, obviously).
"A young crewman seems to be the center of attention..."
etc. etc.
Maybe have it so while they are level 1 they have a fiercly loyal crew from the outset?

Just a thought.

Had one question.   Is famous the highest rank?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2020, 04:40:30 AM by Hamakua »

Shad

• Commander
    • View Profile

OK, I'm not sure that's intended.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

New to modding - but long time starsector player.  Thought I'd share some kudos and observations.  Love the mod. It's likely one of my favorite.
;D

While I sometimes don't like how much the mod punishes taking hull damage -it only really comes about in the early game before you get a pick of your fleet comp so I've since gotten used to it.  The way the mod weighs fights encourages "some" cheese - "bring sacrifical decoys so you can hog all the damage" etc.
Further, I'm not sure if this is the mod or Ruthless - but it does not fairly weigh being out-numbered in the difficulty calculation - I don't know if there is a way to fix that.  I'll get an "easy" rated battle where me and another cruiser have to go up against a dozen frigates and it will say I've got the easy job.  Could also be about the Dmods.  Once again, just an early game issue when you are climbing up through fleet strength.  Once I hit mid game it's no longer an issue.
Yeah, estimating the difficulty of battles is never something I'll be able to get quite right. There are just too many variables to take into consideration (including variables that can't possibly be quantified, like the player's playstyle), not to mention the problems associated with the deployment cost of ships not matching up with their true power. Unfortunately, the only real way to fix it is to remove it.

It seems the majority of "issues" mod users run into seem to be with transparency as to why something did or did not happen - I'm not sure if this is possible in the mod - but lets say a player has a 100% difficulty 400% accomplished battle - but no one gets promoted nor do negative buffs get purged or positive buffs applied -  Would it be possible for there to be a little blurb in the battle report where "nothing happens" but "could have happned - just didn't this time"?
Yeah, transparency is definitely a part of this mod I need to improve, and I think more messages like that could be a good way to do it. I'll try to keep an eye out for opportunities to insert messages like that cleanly. It's just a matter of balancing thorough feedback with avoiding cluttery or immersion-breaking messages.

any possibility of a mechanic involving an officer being promoted from within "The crew" of a ship?
That could be a cool event. I might add something like that later on, but there are going to be a lot of changes to how officers work in the next version of Starsector, so I'll want to see how all that pans out first.

Had one question.   Is famous the highest rank?
Nope! There's one more reputation tier, but you basically need to get to the point of frequently winning large battles in order for your ships to start earning it.

OK, I'm not sure that's intended.
It's not! Thanks for pointing that out. I'll reduce the effect of that trait. It needs to be toned down a bit anyway, especially for some modded missiles where fire rate matters more than it usually does with vanilla missiles.

Calica

• Ensign
    • View Profile

just wanted to add my voice that this is one of my favorite mods. I only added it 2 games ago and i already can't imagine ever playing without it again. Adds soooo much to my playthroughs. Great Work!
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 81