Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 81

Author Topic: [0.97a] Starship Legends 2.5.2 - Extra flavor for ships, crew, and NPCs  (Read 768819 times)

DifficultyTweak

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Might I suggest implementing some sort of token system for ship traits?
Basically, the idea is that if you get a trait you dont want on a ship (ie, missile traits on a SO hammerhead or shield traits on a ship with bad shield stats) you could enter a dialogue menu or something and replace that trait you dont want with a negative trait, but it gives you a universal token that you can use to spend on traits that you *do* want. These bought traits would also be permanently on the ship so the game doesn't just randomly take away something you grinded for.
Thoughts on this?

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Even just something that let you trade out X trait for a random negative trait would be a powerful optimization tool.  No need for any upside to it, since negative traits will go back positive over time (assuming your ship has sufficient combat rating).  (In fact, I'd argue that doing this should be something that comes with a significant cost; for right now, maybe credits equal to purchase price of the ship; for next patch, a story point.)

...On the other hand, having such an ability available would mean less incentive to save-scum battle results for more useful traits, so I think it's probably a good idea.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

The primary goal of this mod is to make individual ships feel unique, so I've never been a fan of allowing traits to be chosen, as that would make them functionally equivalent to hull mods. If I added anything like that, it would probably just be a bar event where you meet someone (a marketing expert?) who can simply remove a chosen trait from one of your ships.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Starship Legends 1.4.0
Compatible with all previous versions

Added 10 new traits:
   - Rugged/Fractured - Adjusts hull integrity based on the number of dmods
   - Rapid/Sluggish Ammo Feeders - Adjusts rate of fire of ballistic weapons
   - Efficient/Inefficient Flux Adapters - Adjusts flux usage of energy weapons
   - Vigilant/Oblivious PD Gunners - Adjusts range of point defense weapons
   - Skilled/Inept PD Gunners - Adjusts damage dealt to fighters and missiles
Added the ability to pay story tellers for information about any other fleet that's trying to recover a famous derelict
Added the possibility for remnant fleets to use famous derelicts as bait (especially old, powerful derelicts)
   - Added setting "famousDerelictMayBeGuardedByRemnantFleet" for toggling this feature
   - By default, this setting is only enabled if Ruthless Sector is also enabled
Added RemoveTraits console command
Fixed reputations not being handled correctly for stock variants of multi-module ships, which could result in a crash in rare cases at the beginning of a new game
Fixed the possibility for ships to earn loyalty related traits even if the loyalty system was disabled
Fixed recovered ships not always counting as sustaining 100% damage in some cases (such as after recovering an Excelsior)
Fixed the possibility for famous derelicts to end up in constellations with only one system, which aren't named on the map
Fixed a few typos in procedurally generated text
Fixed the possibility for mismatches between reported trait changes and actual changes in rare cases
Fixed a the top header of battle reports being clipped if no trait or reputation changes were included in the report
Fixed fleet fuel and cargo capacity traits not being applied immediately after loading saves in some cases
Fixed ships deployed only for autoresolve pursuits getting trait and rating adjustments
Changed: Enemy NPC fleets now have about half the traits, but the effects of their traits are much greater
Changed the formula for determining the chance for each ship to earn a new trait after battle
   - The base chance for new traits is now much lower, but it is increased for...
      - Ships that deal and/or sustain a lot of hull damage
      - Ships with high-level captains
      - Ships that are generally more powerful (based on FP)
   - The settings related to trait chances have been completely reworked to support these changes
Changed reputation hullmod icons
Changed: Traits related to d-mods (lasting damage) are now gradually removed if the ship has no d-mods
Changed: Ships with only hardpoint slots can no longer get traits related to weapon rotation speed
Changed: Battle reports now have the "Reports" tag instead of the "Fleet log" tag
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 09:52:42 AM by Sundog »

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Starship Legends 1.4.0 - Extra flavor for ships, crew, and NPCs
« Reply #559 on: April 29, 2020, 06:49:12 PM »

I used the RemoveTraits command, assuming it would erase all SL info from a single ship. But it only erased the traits and left me with this tooltip.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: April 29, 2020, 10:56:04 PM »

Thanks for letting me know! I'll patch that soon. You can use ClearRep to remove the entire reputation from a ship (which will remove the broken reputation hullmod in this case).

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: April 30, 2020, 12:17:08 AM »

Another thing.. I set "useRatingFromLastBattleAsBasisForBonusChance":true, and even though a bad trait gets demoted properly, it seems once it's at the lowest point, it won't get removed and the ship will not get a positive trait to replace it with either, no matter how many tough battles I win. Is this intended?

By the way, it's a really nice touch that positive d-mod traits like "Battle Scarred" still get phased out if the ship does well.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 01:28:18 AM by Schwartz »

Faeren

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: April 30, 2020, 03:44:53 AM »

I'm enjoying this overall but the one frustrating part is that logistical ships just seem to constantly get slapped with negative traits out of the blue. They'll occasionally get a good one if I do a massive trade dump on a colony with a sabotaged spaceport or something, but if I'm just doing bounties or exploring there is seemingly no way to prevent this from happening.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: April 30, 2020, 10:52:35 AM »

Edit: Also, what do you guys think of the way fleet traits work now? Specifically, I'm concerned that a lot of people might dislike how extreme the effects are, so I might tune them down a bit. Thoughts?

I set "useRatingFromLastBattleAsBasisForBonusChance":true, and even though a bad trait gets demoted properly, it seems once it's at the lowest point, it won't get removed and the ship will not get a positive trait to replace it with either, no matter how many tough battles I win. Is this intended?
No, traits should be being removed. I took a look through the code and identified some cases when this could happen. Just to confirm that we're looking at the same problem, could you tell me the typical order of good/bad traits for the problematic ships (e.g. good good good bad)?

By the way, it's a really nice touch that positive d-mod traits like "Battle Scarred" still get phased out if the ship does well.
Such traits actually get phased out if the ship no longer has any d-mods, but yeah, I'm happy about it too  :)

I'm enjoying this overall but the one frustrating part is that logistical ships just seem to constantly get slapped with negative traits out of the blue. They'll occasionally get a good one if I do a massive trade dump on a colony with a sabotaged spaceport or something, but if I'm just doing bounties or exploring there is seemingly no way to prevent this from happening.
The likelihood of getting new traits for civilian ships is based on XP earned outside of battle, but whether or not those traits are good or bad is simply based on a 50% chance. You can adjust this likelihood by changing "bonusChanceForCivilianShips" in STARSHIP_LEGENDS_OPTIONS.ini, which is found in the root folder of the mod.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 11:19:34 AM by Sundog »

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Yes, it's a case where I have a legendary ship with all-positive traits, and the last negative trait is all the way at the bottom. It was moved down there pretty quickly, i.e. every Remnant combat I won had difficult odds and resulted in a positive trait change. Until the trait was all the way at the bottom and nothing moved anymore.

By the way, with the same ship, the 'Battle Scarred' trait only appears to get phased out when I keep it in reserve and a '=' symbol appears in the fleet log. When the ship actually fights, it does not move the trait.

And then this happened.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 02:16:38 AM by Schwartz »

Argonaut

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

I play on default. I love the traits. I think their effects are adequate, since on default i get a good mix of positive-negative ones. Like someone said, my utility ships get slapped with negative traits despite never facing battle up to legendary tier. It's funny, but i'm not sure intended.

Speaking of traits, i actually think their effects could be even stronger. It currently makes only for minor differences in how i play. The enemy pirate fleet has 20% more overload time? Sure, i'm going to pick my sabot platforms, but it doesn't make that much difference. Personally, i would love even crazier traits tied to unique "feats" or achievements in battle. For example destroying multiple enemy ships solo after your fleet has been destroyed, or using a specific ship for many years in a row without ever storing it... or for some bar event ships to have unique traits that cannot be obtained in other ways, to make them more desirable.

FAX

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Well, less traits make the pre-battle analyze easier, which is very good. But one small question is that, quantitative changes are high enough lead to some qualitative changes( I have saw a fleet lost half of it peak time), decline 30-40% both buff and debuff level would be better IMO :)

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Starship Legends 1.4.1
Compatible with all previous versions

Fixed RemoveTraits console command not updating reputation hullmods, which could lead to a (harmless) error message in the hullmod description
Fixed traits not being removed from reputations when they should in some cases
Fixed trait changes still being possible in some cases for ships that are only deployed for autoresolve pursuit
Fixed the possibility for irrelevant traits to be chosen to become more prominent
Fixed an issue that could prevent irrelevant traits from becoming less prominent for deployed ships in some cases
Changed: Reduced chance of spontaneous malfunctions from the Cursed trait by half

Thanks for the feedback everyone! For now I'll keep the defaults for fleet traits as they are, but I'm still seriously considering reducing the effects, so further input on this topic is certainly welcome!

@Schwartz: Each of the issues you reported should be fixed in this patch. Please let me know if you find out otherwise. Thanks for the reports!

Like someone said, my utility ships get slapped with negative traits despite never facing battle up to legendary tier.
Up to legendary tier? With default settings it should be rare to have famous civilian ships, let alone legendary ones. Are you using any mod that frequently awards XP?

Personally, i would love even crazier traits tied to unique "feats" or achievements in battle. For example destroying multiple enemy ships solo after your fleet has been destroyed, or using a specific ship for many years in a row without ever storing it... or for some bar event ships to have unique traits that cannot be obtained in other ways, to make them more desirable.
Yeah, I think achievement-based traits would be really cool too, but it would take a very long time to make it work well, and unfortunately I don't think I'll ever be able to spare the time.

Argonaut

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Up to legendary tier? With default settings it should be rare to have famous civilian ships, let alone legendary ones. Are you using any mod that frequently awards XP?

I don't have an XP specific mod, but i have Nex and Vayra's sector, a bunch of faction mods and my xpGainMult is set to 0.05. i'm currently sitting on 3 legendary phaetons and a few freighters in my fleet. My long-term combat ships are around "well-known" and "famous" and it seems to me the changes happen correctly for these.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile

xpGainMult is set to 0.05
Ah, that's the clue I needed. By default starship legends compensates for changes made by xpGainMult so that people won't inadvertently change the rate of gaining new traits by editing it. Unbeknownst to me, however, xpGainMult only seems to apply to XP from combat. So in order to determine trait chances for civilian ships, the mod is dividing peacefully earned XP by 0.05 when it was never multiplied by 0.05 in the first place. This will be fixed in the next release. For now, you can change the value of "traitChanceMultForCivilianShips" in the starship legends options file in order to reduce the chance of new traits to your liking. Sorry about the trouble, and thanks for your help in figuring this out!
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 81