Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 81

Author Topic: [0.97a] Starship Legends 2.5.2 - Extra flavor for ships, crew, and NPCs  (Read 768247 times)

Phoenixheart

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Starship Legends 1.3.14 - Extra flavor for ships, crew, and NPCs
« Reply #510 on: January 07, 2020, 03:28:01 PM »

Just to clarify, when a mothballed ship loses its traits it ALSO loses it's reputation level, right? So a legendary ship getting mothballed will reset it and have to climb up through the ranks again?

I ask because it makes sense but is not what I originally expected when I read the FAQ, I was thinking that it would remove the traits but keep the level, so you could basically reroll for different traits at the cost of not getting to keep any of the originals, so a few meh traits would be worth keeping if you also had one you really wanted.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: January 07, 2020, 06:45:12 PM »

Hi,
came back to check out your mod few months later and I gotta say - I love it. Previously I had to alter settings to make it work with my tastes, now it works great right out of the box :D
Glad to hear it  ;D

Just to clarify, when a mothballed ship loses its traits it ALSO loses it's reputation level, right? So a legendary ship getting mothballed will reset it and have to climb up through the ranks again?
Yes, that's right.

I ask because it makes sense but is not what I originally expected when I read the FAQ, I was thinking that it would remove the traits but keep the level, so you could basically reroll for different traits at the cost of not getting to keep any of the originals, so a few meh traits would be worth keeping if you also had one you really wanted.
That's a good point. Thanks for pointing it out! I'll update the FAQs to make it clear.

Ramdat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: January 08, 2020, 03:50:10 PM »

Would you consider adding a config option to allow choosing which traits you receive upon level up? So then you could, for example, choose shield-related traits for your shield-tanking ships.

Phoenixheart

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: January 08, 2020, 04:23:44 PM »

I'm not sure if it's feasable to code, but that's actually an interesting idea, if your ships had a similar level up mechanic to officers, where you're given 2 random trait options and you pick one of them.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: January 09, 2020, 04:36:37 PM »

Well, technically you can choose traits using console commands, but I know that's not what you guys are asking for. I don't have any plans to create a proper system for choosing traits, and that's not likely to ever change. The mechanics, theme, and interface of this mod are all designed around traits being randomized, so changing that would mean changing most of the rest of the mod as well. Also, the next version of starsector will have something very similar to choosable traits in the form of permanent hullmods, so I don't want to create too much overlap.

You guys might want to check out Extra System Reloaded, which also provides a system for upgrading ships, but without any RNG.

Panpiper

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: January 14, 2020, 09:52:39 AM »

I've been playing with this mod for at least twelve hours in game. I have fought countless battles. My officers are around level 15 (new game). Not one of them, not a single ship has achieved any sort of trait at all, save a solitary civilian ship getting a loyal crew. (My main character is a non-combat leader, to start anyway, with hired officers flying the ships.)

What do I need to change in the STARSHIP_LEGENDS_OPTIONS.ini to accelerate these bonuses?

Sinosauropteryx

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: January 14, 2020, 03:34:06 PM »

Hey Sundog, some bad news. It seems there's a crash that's been happening with regards to traits being added to module ships - but only under specific circumstances. Namely:

- The ship has clickable (in refit screen) modules.
- The ship was spawned as a starter ship (such as the super-ship start in Nex). Module ships acquired any other way appear to be fine.

To replicate the crash, start a new game with a refittable-module super ship in Nexerelin - Kingdom of Terra works, as does Luddic Church's Cathedral (SWP). Add a trait to the ship with console commands, then click on any module in the refit screen.

There's a record of the testing process here, if any of that info is useful.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: January 14, 2020, 08:47:41 PM »

Not one of them, not a single ship has achieved any sort of trait at all, save a solitary civilian ship getting a loyal crew.
The first few traits should be very easy to get, so it sounds like something is going wrong. By now you've probably fought at least a few battles that would grant enough XP to guarantee new traits. Did you change any settings by any chance? Are you using any mods that modify XP gain in any way?

What do I need to change in the STARSHIP_LEGENDS_OPTIONS.ini to accelerate these bonuses?
Normally you could reduce the "xpToGuaranteeNewTrait" value for each tier, but I suspect that won't work in your case, since you should've gotten new traits with the defaults by now.

Hey Sundog, some bad news. It seems there's a crash that's been happening with regards to traits being added to module ships - but only under specific circumstances.
Hmm... that is bad news. Thanks for letting me know. It's very strange that it only occurs for starter module ships. Hopefully I'll be able to fix this once I figure out what the difference is. Anyway, thanks for the solid repro steps!

Panpiper

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: January 15, 2020, 03:01:41 AM »

Not one of them, not a single ship has achieved any sort of trait at all, save a solitary civilian ship getting a loyal crew.
The first few traits should be very easy to get, so it sounds like something is going wrong. By now you've probably fought at least a few battles that would grant enough XP to guarantee new traits. Did you change any settings by any chance? Are you using any mods that modify XP gain in any way?

As far as I recall, the only changes I made to the ini are the changes you suggested for making the traits just the positive ones. I an not certain I did not change anything else though. I 'was' running a mod to expand the level ceiling. I am going to restart without that and see. I'll also redownload your mod just in case I broke something the first time.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: January 16, 2020, 06:25:54 PM »

Well, I tested with the "unlimited power" preset and everything still seemed to work fine. I don't think a mod that increases the level ceiling would make a difference unless it changes how xp is earned somehow as well. Not sure what the problem could be.
Have your ships started getting traits since you re-installed the mod?

Coward

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: January 28, 2020, 02:37:35 PM »

Will there be additional traits added in the future? I'd love to see traits that affect weapon flux cost, projectile speed, and fire rate

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: January 28, 2020, 04:48:03 PM »

Hey, welcome to the forum!

The only traits I currently have plans to add are ones that affect ship systems (cooldown, flux cost, or recharge rate - whichever is most applicable). That will have to wait until the next release of Starsector though, as it doesn't fully support what I want to do yet. It might not work out though, as complications with something like that are likely.

I try to avoid adding traits that have too much overlap with each other, so I think +/-fire-rate would be too similar to +/-damage, and +/-flux-cost  might be too similar to +/-flux-dissipation. No traits currently affect projectile speed though, so there will probably be a trait that affects that some day.

I've been considering adding traits that only affect specific weapon types (ammo recharge rate? energy weapon flux cost? beam damage? ballistics projectile speed?), but I'm not sure it's a good idea yet. Missiles already get special treatment, so it only seems fair...

Another idea I liked that someone brought up a while ago is a trait that provides some sort of bonus that increases with the number of d-mods a ship has, but I haven't ironed out the details for making that work well yet.

Coward

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: January 28, 2020, 06:13:53 PM »

That sounds really interesting, I look forward to seeing these traits in action! This is one of my favorite mods for Starsector so far, I've been using since I've discovered it and haven't turned it off since.

I kinda feel like fire rate could still be interesting, but I don't know if changes in fire rate change flux costs. Missiles do have the reload modifiers already, and I feel like if fire rate traits also cause average flux costs to increase/decrease, it would more interesting than a simple damage modifier. Then again, I don't know if fire rate or projectile speed would affect beam weapons, so that's something that the damage trait is more useful for. I don't know, I just want to see how fast I can get a Hammerhead with all mortars to fire.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: January 28, 2020, 08:52:25 PM »

This is one of my favorite mods for Starsector so far, I've been using since I've discovered it and haven't turned it off since.
;D

I feel like if fire rate traits also cause average flux costs to increase/decrease, it would more interesting than a simple damage modifier.
Right, the change in flux usage would set a fire-rate trait apart from deadly/harmless, but they'd still be too similar imo. However, if I decide to make weapon type specific traits I think a trait that does +/- fire rate for ballistic weapons could work well. I think the increased flux usage from higher fire rate could lead to some interesting builds and strategies.

I don't know, I just want to see how fast I can get a Hammerhead with all mortars to fire.
Ha! Fair enough  :)

Zuthen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: February 08, 2020, 02:39:42 PM »

loving this mod sundog, thank you so much for making it. it works perfectly for me so far and i love it's implementation. also love that i can see at a glance what level my units are at. makes deciding who to bring a much more meaningful task as well. generally i find myself thinking much more about who i want to bring with me in a mission rather than just selecting my most powerful forces. now if i have units already at top rank i generally decide to bring other forces just to level them up more. really i don't think there is anything you could do to make it better. the only thing i could think of is to make even more levels/ranks to further add to it, especially with mods like nex as exp comes very easy in those mods. i would say you could also make the ai use the same system as you instead of them having their whole army change stats instead of single units but then it would be more random and the ai wouldn't have as much of a benefit. thanks again, you might see me in a year or two after this play through. lol
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 81