Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 81

Author Topic: [0.97a] Starship Legends 2.5.2 - Extra flavor for ships, crew, and NPCs  (Read 768581 times)

exelsiar

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Starship Legends 1.3.8 - Extra flavor for ships, crew, and NPCs
« Reply #390 on: October 24, 2019, 09:43:13 AM »

Hi just installed the update, and imediatly noticed the story tellers are showing up on my worlds now. Great! Except I have both types of story teller completely disabled via the setting files.

I_is_nublet

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: October 24, 2019, 12:44:17 PM »

Pretty sure I'm having some issue with saving multiple times in a session because of your mod working with a bunch of others. I believe it's a cache issue, where the cache isn't being emptied. Since after I exit the game it works fine for about 5-6 saves.

I looked at the log and it pointed to your mod being the issue. Hence why I'm pretty sure it's your mod. I don't have PC access for a few days (out of town), but I'll post the log here later if you want.

Anyways, I like the mod a lot! It's a fantastic idea, and adds to the game and other mods significantly.

Keep up the work, and I'm sure everyone who uses your mod appreciates the time and effort you put in. Thank you :)

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Starship Legends 1.3.7 - Extra flavor for ships, crew, and NPCs
« Reply #392 on: October 24, 2019, 04:16:06 PM »

@I_is_nublet: Hey, welcome to the forum and thanks for the info! Glad you like the mod  :)
Are you referring to the memory issue you mentioned in the Nexerelin thread? I'm pretty sure this is the first I've heard about this, and I don't have a lot to go on, so whatever it is that's pointing to starship legends in your log would be really useful. I couldn't find anything wrong after simply saving repeatedly while looking through the log and monitoring memory usage, but I'll keep an eye out during my next long play session.

yup. fixed
Glad to hear it! Yeah, I suspect that no bar events would occur at all before the tutorial ends.

Hi just installed the update, and imediatly noticed the story tellers are showing up on my worlds now. Great! Except I have both types of story teller completely disabled via the setting files.
So you have these lines in your settings file?
   "famousFlagshipBarEventChance":0.0,
   "famousDerelictBarEventChance":0.0,
Are you using ruthless sector? If so, starship legends will use RUTHLESS_STARSHIP_LEGENDS_OPTIONS.ini instead of STARSHIP_LEGENDS_OPTIONS.ini.
Stroytellers that were there previously would also still be there after changing those settings (at least until the event expires).
Another possibility is that an error is occurring while starship legends tries to read your options file. An error message should show up in-game if that's the case, but if not then the error should still show up in the log.
After re-checking the code it looks like those settings should be working as intended, but I added an extra check just in case.

Buff Skeleton

• Ensign
  • UFO Detected on Corpse Radar
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: October 24, 2019, 05:20:28 PM »

I am starting to think something is up with remembering loyalty for some ships. I was switching between an Onslaught and a Doom as my main flagship somewhat frequently while collecting bounties, and in one of the most recent battle reports, it shows the crew of the Onslaught had grown Confident in me. But later on, after going home and refitting a bit of stuff, I put myself back in command and now it only shows Indifferent.

I'm using Ruthless Sector as well, and I keep a close eye on my battle reports. I didn't see it drop down from Confident to Indifferent in any of the recent ones, so I'm not sure how that happened.

I also lost the Doom at one point, but recovered it, and when I did, I had gone from Fiercely Loyal to Indifferent. I've recovered ships and seen loyalty go down one level before (both for me and officers), but not all the way to zero.

I thought maybe it was because the entire crew of the ship had died (which wouldn't be unreasonable, heh) and thus I had a whole new set of people to impress, but given other lost ships have come back with only slight (or sometimes no) penalties to loyalty from their crews after recovery, I'm wondering if there's a bug here. None of the other ship characteristics changed either.

Any ideas?

I_is_nublet

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: October 24, 2019, 05:30:27 PM »

Yep, same issue (in reply to sundog). As I said tho I have a fair number of mods. So it could be a combo specifically. In which case I'd be SOL.

I will try to narrow it down once I get the chance (if that is what it is).

I am using Windows 10 (which could be the reason in itself). I'll do a paste bin of my dxdiag later. Specs aren't bad, higher end.

But the error message that popped up was something about gc overhead limit reached(I think, eventually save time would get longer and longer till it no longer saved and that message would pop up). The log was showing starship legends something or the other.

Anyways, thank you for your time and the greeting :)
(Using phone, formatting is a pain)

Edit:
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=10908.0
This is the problem pretty much. However the only mods I have that are common with that (keeping in mind the post is 3 years old) are nexerelin, portrait mod and the lib mods (when this started happening).

In that link tho, it seems to be a game memory leak, not a mod. And based on which java version the game was running off of.

What a pain in the butt. Ugh. I'll test it more and get back to you.

Edit 2:
https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8726.0
And just found that. I'll look into that too. Good stuff on the forums here! :)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 06:58:08 PM by I_is_nublet »

Alavaria

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: October 24, 2019, 10:30:01 PM »

I'm also seeing some stutter on saving. I think this only started after updating to the latest version of Legends though.

It's unfortunate that "civilian" ships do not get ratings, since I just got a nice Valkyrie troop transport blueprint and was using them in combat.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 11:14:11 PM by Alavaria »

exelsiar

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: October 25, 2019, 05:23:40 AM »

So you have these lines in your settings file?
   "famousFlagshipBarEventChance":0.0,
   "famousDerelictBarEventChance":0.0,
Are you using ruthless sector? If so, starship legends will use RUTHLESS_STARSHIP_LEGENDS_OPTIONS.ini instead of STARSHIP_LEGENDS_OPTIONS.ini.
Stroytellers that were there previously would also still be there after changing those settings (at least until the event expires).
Another possibility is that an error is occurring while starship legends tries to read your options file. An error message should show up in-game if that's the case, but if not then the error should still show up in the log.
After re-checking the code it looks like those settings should be working as intended, but I added an extra check just in case.

I was not aware of those lines, I was using:
"allowFamousFlagshipBarEvent":false,
"allowFamousDerelictBarEvent":false,
from the sun_sl folder

Have changed the ones you mentioned, still getting them.
Though I would have expected the lines I mentioned to have worked.

I_is_nublet

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: October 25, 2019, 05:40:19 AM »

from the sun_sl folder

Have changed the ones you mentioned, still getting them.
Though I would have expected the lines I mentioned to have worked.

Did you try visiting a system you haven't visted in months to see if the event still proc'ced?

If it still procs, then yea. Something is wrong.

If it doesnt then the event at your current lication just needs to expire (which would be about an in-game month. Provided you leave the planet alone and don't visit it during that month).

Edit: ah. Just thought of it. You probably have to visit each planet in order for the event to proc the expiration cycle. So visit a few planetd, wait a month. Then see if the event still procs fir those planets
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 05:43:23 AM by I_is_nublet »

exelsiar

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: October 25, 2019, 06:44:46 AM »

Heh I went a step further and started a new game to test it, everythings working perfectly now. Thanks :D

I_is_nublet

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: October 25, 2019, 09:21:17 AM »

I'm also seeing some stutter on saving. I think this only started after updating to the latest version of Legends though.

It's unfortunate that "civilian" ships do not get ratings, since I just got a nice Valkyrie troop transport blueprint and was using them in combat.

Civ ships do get ratings. It's just slower on them to get it is all.

As for the save stutter, did you modify the game files to use more RAM if you can?

https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8726.0

And do you use other mods?

Alavaria

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: October 25, 2019, 10:25:04 AM »

They get traits, are ratings hidden though? It also shows up as just a "-" in the battle results screen, so I can't tell if they're effectively at 50% for getting traits or not.
Spoiler
[close]

As for the save stutter, did you modify the game files to use more RAM if you can?

And do you use other mods?
Yes, though only 2Gb since the computer has 4. A few other mods, but I think only FDS has a faction in it, the rest are a couple of ship mods, no nex or anything else.
But since I haven't crashed/locked up, it's hard to say if that's the same as the others had.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: October 25, 2019, 09:58:39 PM »

On memory usage: I got the chance to look for cases of wasteful memory usage yesterday, and I did confirm that the memory leak I thought I fixed in 1.3.5 is still there. However, that one shouldn't be causing the issues you guys are describing because it's a one-time thing, not something that progressively gets worse the longer you play (also: it's been there since the beginning, so it wouldn't be causing new issues). It might be a few days before I get a good opportunity, but I'm going to do a thorough check for these types of issues. Sharship legends should have a very low memory footprint, so I want to make sure that's actually the case.

from the sun_sl folder
Those lines are for setting whether or not an event is available in markets owned by specific factions. It sounds like you edited defaultFactionReputation.json, which defines the defaults for faction configurations, and generally isn't intended to be edited. All vanilla factions (including the player faction) overwrite those defaults, so it makes sense that your edits would've been ignored in most cases.

Heh I went a step further and started a new game to test it, everythings working perfectly now.
Glad to hear it! Sorry for the trouble.

Yeah, it might make things more interesting sometimes for them to get ratings, but it would also inevitably lead to a lot of players arranging weird battles intended for the sole purpose of improving the combat rating of civilian ships. It could probably be done, but it would require quite a lot of work to make it work well, and I don't think it would be worth it.

As Alavaria said, they do get traits, but they don't get ratings (excepting the possibility of some setting I'm forgetting about that would allow it)

Ddubistro

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: October 26, 2019, 04:08:28 AM »

Hi,

First wanna say that I love the idea behind this mod and thanks for making it :D

I wanted to ask if it is possible to add an option where: "if no hull damage where taken" and "new rating is lower than previous rating" then previous rating is unchanged?

The problem I have is that when I face weak opponent such as automated defence on Domain Pode or chasing a fleet that try to flee (and even if I try to get the minimum ship possible, for chasing a small fleet it's just not possible if you wanna be sure to take down most of them), very often my high reputation ships are gonna lose reputation and may get a bad skill just because of that. It's really frustrating since the ship did noting bad to deserve it. It's even more true when helping an ally fleet that launch a pursuit or using a ship to keep away little ship/frigate on flanks to prevent them attacking your capital back. It's also punish you using back up near the end of a fight because of that too.

It would be amazing ^^

Anyway thanks again for this great mod :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 04:10:46 AM by Ddubistro »

JustALittleGravitas

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 26, 2019, 01:37:26 PM »

What the person above me said.

Also I'm seeing a really high rate of civilian ships ending up with traits that compromise the fleet (fuel guzzling, increased sensor profile, etc).  Suggest either making things that effect fleet performance rarer, or changing the odds of good bad traits to something other than 50-50 (going to try 75% good and see how that works since I can do it in settings).

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 26, 2019, 02:06:43 PM »

Congrats on overcoming the many troubles you encountered so far. The mechanics and the design of this mod are captivating. Even if I had more fun occasionally helping you with it, than playing with it. Nice work.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 81