Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 81

Author Topic: [0.97a] Starship Legends 2.5.2 - Extra flavor for ships, crew, and NPCs  (Read 768840 times)

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Starship Legends 1.1.13 - Personality for Your Ships and Crew
« Reply #195 on: June 30, 2019, 08:16:25 AM »

How do traits affect certain ships with multiple parts?  Does it handle it as the Officer bonuses, and apply the effects of the ships traits to all of the separate sections of the ship, or do the traits only affect the main hull piece?
Hmm... that's a very good question. Trait effects are applied the same way hullmod and skill effects are applied, so I'd assumed the effects would carry over to sub-parts in both cases, but that might not be the case. Sub-parts are basically implemented as separate ships glued together, so it would make sense for them to have separate stat modifiers. I'll have to devise some experiment or ask around to make sure, but for now I'd say the affects of traits (along with hullmods, dmods, and skills) probably only affect the core section of multi-part ships.

crawlers

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 06, 2019, 04:52:40 PM »

May you add the option to disable positive traits, so only negative ones show up?  Sometimes, we need suffering, for ships to become ever more cursed as the player's hand brings ruin to everything it touches.

Thank you

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 06, 2019, 05:38:35 PM »

Heh, I like your style. You can disable positive traits by setting the following options:
   "baseRating":0.0,
   "battleDifficultyMult":0.0,
   "damageDealtMult":0.0,
   "showCombatRatings":false,

Shad

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 08, 2019, 10:38:18 AM »

Is damage against fighters/missiles counted in any way. I made a PD boat with AOE anti-missile, anti-fighter missiles etc, but it's rating is really low. I think it only scores when it kills ships with its light darts.

namad

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 10, 2019, 11:38:37 AM »

I've now got some traits on some logistics ships which have never been in combat. This is probably a bug? I will say though that I now have 28 ships in my fleet (I increased max fleet size in the settings file).

Weirdly though the logistics ships which gained these traits were at the bottom of the list of ships, which to me means I think that ship 26,27,28 are the ones that got traits despite never having seen combat, being logistics ships.

So I think your mod must have a number 25 in it somewhere that should maybe be bigger (some sort of number that checks which ships were in the battle or not in the battle?)

That said I just engaged in another battle in which my fleet size was 32 and didn't encounter this issue.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 12:29:34 PM by namad »

stormbringer951

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 10, 2019, 12:41:17 PM »

I've now got some traits on some logistics ships which have never been in combat. This is probably a bug? I will say though that I now have 28 ships in my fleet (I increased max fleet size in the settings file).

Weirdly though the logistics ships which gained these traits were at the bottom of the list of ships, which to me means I think that ship 26,27,28 are the ones that got traits despite never having seen combat, being logistics ships.

Feature, not bug. Purely civilian ships passively get traits while not deployed. There are settings options in the mod .ini file to control whether they should get traits, and their chances of getting combat-relevant or logistics-relevant traits.

This should probably be mentioned more prominently on the first post.
Weapons Group Controls mod - deselect all weapon groups, hold-down hold-fire mode, toggle alternating/linked fire
Captain's Log - throw away your notepad: custom notes, ruins and salvageable reminders
Old Hyperion - for your dose of nostalgia
Adjustable Skill Thresholds - set fleet DP and fighter bay thresholds

namad

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 10, 2019, 01:02:03 PM »

Oh I'm fine with it if it's a feature, I probably didn't realize because my tankers and cargo ships had previously been hounds/shepards, which if not deployed never get any traits. These new salvage rigs and ox's did. That sounds fair. If I'll never deploy it, I guess it makes sense to get traits anyways!

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 10, 2019, 02:25:41 PM »

Is damage against fighters/missiles counted in any way.
Nope. Only hull damage and battle difficulty increase rating above 50%. The formula is in the FAQs under"How do I increase combat rating?"
Unfortunately, dedicated support ships do tend to get screwed a bit.

This should probably be mentioned more prominently on the first post.
Agreed! Updated the FAQs to mention this under "What options does this mod provide?"
Might give that it's own FAQ later though. The original post needs a lot of work.
Thanks for answering btw!

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 19, 2019, 01:27:32 PM »

Hi, love the mod but minor bug report:

I know my screen is now comically tiny (1280x1024) but the Inflicted column is taking up quite a lot of room and Reputation basically demands a tooltip anyway, so can we get just a teensy bit more space for Rating so I can see what it increased or decreased by please?

Obviously this won't be a problem for the 90% of you who have a widescreen monitor, but I doubt changing it would incur a problem for them either? Hopefully?

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 19, 2019, 02:35:51 PM »

Good point! Rating is supposed to be fully visible at any resolution, as it's rather important. I'll make sure that's fixed for the next release.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #205 on: July 19, 2019, 06:56:38 PM »

Is there a way to tell which ships have non-Indifferent loyalty (particularly positive loyalty) to which officers?

I had a problem recently when I loaded an old save, tried shuffling some ships and officers around, then had a bit of trouble figuring out which officers to put back on which ships.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 19, 2019, 08:14:18 PM »

There's no good way to do that at the moment. Ideally that sort of thing would be visible on the officer assignment screen, but I doubt there's a practical way to make that happen. I'll see what I can do. I might add a section to the hullmod tooltip to show loyalties when no officer is assigned.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 05, 2019, 12:13:02 PM »

I'm planning on changing the way ratings are calculated by default and I thought some of you might want to weigh in. The basic idea is to remove the concept of "battle difficulty" from starship legends unless ruthless sector is also running. The new default formulas would be:

Without ruthless sector:
Code
rating = 0.5 - damageTaken*0.5 + damageDealt*0.25
With ruthless sector:
Code
rating = 0.25 + battleDifficulty*0.3 - damageTaken + max(0, damageDealt-1)*0.25
And for reference, this is the current formula:
Code
rating = 0.5 + battleDifficulty*0.25 - damageTaken + max(0, damageDealt-1)*0.25

Other things I've been working on that should make it into the next update:
  • About 10 new traits, mostly ones exclusive to ships with certain built-in hull mods
  • Console commands (addTrait, setLoyalty, clearRep, and list traits)
  • QoL improvements (including reputation hullmod tooltips showing the officers with the most loyalty when no captain is assigned)
  • Improved logic for trait prominence changes (no more positive traits swapping with other positive traits)

BringerofBabies

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: August 05, 2019, 01:33:19 PM »

Could damageDealt be all damage dealt (after damage type multipliers are applied) to missiles, shields, armor, & hull (ships & fighters)? That would allow dedicated PD vessels to be rewarded somewhat, so long as they are actively doing their job, as well as rewarding ships that only manage to damage shields/armor (e.g. broke a station's shields & armor but then had to be retreat due to taking damage). The only unbalanced part that I can think of would be racking up huge damage counts when hammering on a shielded ship that you can never actually kill, but I don't think this would happen often.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: August 05, 2019, 01:57:53 PM »

Yeah, it's possible, but I haven't thought of a way to do it that wouldn't cause huge problems with gameplay. My main concern is incentivising the manipulation of scores by dragging combat out in order to deal more damage to shields or fighters. However, I am well aware that dedicated PD ships are a niche that is underestimated by the rating system, and I'd like to find a solution to that. Unfortunately, every solution I've considered has been worse than the problem itself.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 81