Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: That gap on the Falcon, maybe meant for something?  (Read 3517 times)

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
That gap on the Falcon, maybe meant for something?
« on: April 30, 2019, 06:27:23 AM »

Maybe not? But hey, I'd get this if I were a pirate :o
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 07:11:07 AM by goduranus »

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: That gap on the Falcon, maybe meant for something?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 06:30:51 AM »

I think it's just a cool design choice with the inverse hull.

The Mayasuran Navy Mod has a eagle/falcon style ship with a central large mount slot for energy weapons that could be right up your alley.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

MajorTheRed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 07:57:00 AM »

Yeah there is numerous mod using the gap to mount something like a large weapons or fighter bay

Tei

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 08:18:47 AM »

Color it blue, make it high tech, and put a tach lance in the gap. Nothing like a good old screw you spinal laser.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 08:29:13 AM »

It's there just so you bait AI and make it miss its shots. Besides, I don't really think it's a good way to make the most crowded area on the ship even more busy. Bridge isn't good for powering superweapons.

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 08:59:09 AM »

It's there just so you bait AI and make it miss its shots.

No way you could do that, are you a super pro or what? Post a vid or I call BS :o

Besides, I don't really think it's a good way to make the most crowded area on the ship even more busy. Bridge isn't good for powering superweapons.

The Mudskipper didn't mind ;D

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 09:03:04 AM »

Some attacks near max range, especially beams, can be straddled by Falcon with its long gap.

ThePollie

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 09:38:59 AM »

The gap always bothered the hell out of me. It's an impractical design that leaves a huge trench to guide enemy fire into the engine assembly, unnecessarily broadens out the profile of the ship, and ultimately does nothing beneficial for the ship itself. It'd be better to cut the center out of the Eagle and push the two smaller halves together, resulting in a narrower ship that is at least a little more difficult to hit.

Tei

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2019, 10:12:25 AM »

It's there just so you bait AI and make it miss its shots. Besides, I don't really think it's a good way to make the most crowded area on the ship even more busy. Bridge isn't good for powering superweapons.

Well to be fair its impractical to even have any exposed bridges on a combat spaceship to begin with. Best bridge location would be buried underneath as much armor as possible, which would still put it next to other vital components like the reactor/engines/fuel/ammo storage.

Which still bothers me with supposedly heavy armor ships like the Onslaught and Dominator, if you take the above into account all that armor is pointless if you have a bridge just sitting there.

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2019, 10:23:30 AM »

There's probably a heavily armored CIC inside, the one on top is likely lightly armored and used for everyday navigation, docking etc, flight control for shuttles etc.

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2019, 11:02:48 AM »

The gap is there for a very important reason: so sadistic captains can punish misbehaving crew members by ordering them to reload both front missile mounts.

Tei

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2019, 11:13:38 AM »

The gap is there for a very important reason: so sadistic captains can punish misbehaving crew members by ordering them to reload both front missile mounts.

Said missile mounts are both Ann. Rocket Pods. Just imagine the pirate captain giving the biggest grin as a pair of unfortunate crew mates push around carts full of rockets.

"HAVE FUN RELOADING THOSE THINGS BY HAND YOU ASSHATS."