Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Credits in late game, more relevance, and less of it gained without gameplay  (Read 2641 times)

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile

One of the problems with credits right now is that once the the player gets more than 10 million credits, there's no further use to getting any more of it.

A) I think the gameplay around credits could be more rewarding if there were more ways to use credits to boost existing activities.

For example, maybe the player can boost a planet's fleet budget with an extra 1-2 million credits a month, to greatly boost the fleet power of that colony in an emergency to counter a large raid. Or, let the player provide 1-2 million credits in material aid to an faction colony to boost the said faction's fleet power with mercenaries, so they can distract another faction the player is targeting.(Like boosting Tri-tachyon's fleet power to Vahalla, so that they can distract Rasaelvig's patrols, allowing the player to more easily send in a stealth raid)

Also, maybe make it so the average colonies can only reach stability of 7 or 8 even with all upgrades, and the player has to commit 1-2 million credits a month to boost the security budget of that colony, so that the colony serving as the player's main shipyard can produce better quality ships.

B) I think colony profits would be more rewarding if the colony's credit generation requires more of players' direct involvement. I think it should be balanced like trading cargo, where going at it peacefully the colony would make very tiny amount of profit or even no profit(like, cut export profits by 90%). Making large profits from having a colony should require danger and combat to keep the player involved and creating more gameplay. The player would have to work at it, shoot down convoys, bomb spaceports etc, to create opportunities that lets them sell the stockpile goods at a profit.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 02:38:21 AM by goduranus »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile

The main benefit of max stability is maximum income.  Spending money for more money seems to make little sense.

B) I think colony profits would be more rewarding if the colony's credit generation requires more of players' direct involvement.
Player babysits colony plenty with all of the popup colony threats.  Do not want even more obnoxious babysitting until player can order and send fleets to take care of problems.

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile

The main benefit of max stability is maximum income.  Spending money for more money seems to make little sense.
Also ship quality, it's spending money to improve fleet quality. And imo stability should affect the chance of LP terrorist disruptions. More stability = better police and intelligence etc.

Player babysits colony plenty with all of the popup colony threats.  Do not want even more obnoxious babysitting until player can order and send fleets to take care of problems.
Ideally this would be a one time thing, set the fleet budget once and leave it alone. Would be cool if ordering fleets costs alots of money, cuz else those money is just sitting there doing nothing.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I prefer that excess income was spent achieving strategic goals, which we do not have now.  Player makes a million per month?  Great!  Have him spend some of it to build more fleets to do things only the player can do right now.

Currently, population incentives are huge money sinks, until they reach size 10.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile

One of the problems with credits right now is that once the the player gets more than 10 million credits, there's no further use to getting any more of it.

That's just an effect of the general lack of an end game, isn't it? I imagine stuff like gate reactivation or full blown war will happily eat all your money.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I think money is in a good place, finally. You have to have a steady income to be able to take fleet losses, and you have to have fleet losses to play iron man, which is the game's intended gamemode eventually.

I do not feel hurt by the fact that my XX million bucks just sit in the bank and do not get used up. It allows me to concentrate on other things. Farming AI cores for example will never not be challenging. Even with 3 Paragons and 3 Apogee out on the field.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Excess income means I do not need to go out of my way to mug named bounties for income.  I am already short on time when trying to explore (or raid for blueprints) between colony threats.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

That's just an effect of the general lack of an end game, isn't it? I imagine stuff like gate reactivation or full blown war will happily eat all your money.

Yeah - just in general, I'd like to add more ways to spend more credits, kind of like grows incentives, the "Stabilize" option, buying off punitive expeditions, etc. Ideally the end-gamey ones would also have diminishing returns so you could pump as much money into them as you have. So: in general agreement here, I think.

PyroFuzz

• Commander
    • View Profile

Things like rare ships in the prism free port get me to drop some money, but its still comparatively nothing to the late game credits.
Hello!

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile

The problem with diminishing returns or ever-increasing costs to buy off faction threats is that the player can right at the start decide they're not worth pursuing. And if the costs don't increase, all he needs is a decent surplus and he's immune.

So handling hard threats with money is out. But what about soft threats?

Giving the player an option to pay X percent of a colony's income to NOT receive a pirate debuff. Call it an arrangement.
The Ludds can't be reasoned with like that. But how about spending money to hire or bribe someone to discover their base for you, rather than hoping for the rare spacer in bar event?
Lastly, what if the player could invest extra money to hire more muscle for his trade fleets?