Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16

Author Topic: [0.97a] Ruthless Sector 1.6.1 - High Risk, High Reward Difficulty Options  (Read 266877 times)

Innominandum

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Ruthless Sector 1.2.4 - Difficulty Options for Better Gameplay
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2019, 06:00:18 AM »

Have you increased the default max fleet size? Due to technical limitations, the difficulty stars aren't displayed on the deployment screen if your fleet has more than 30 ships in reserve.
Thx i was wondering about that one, i noticed it while helping out AI Stations.
Off topic:
Seeing as you are one of the old guard, do you have any knowledge about a probable rel date for 0.92?
"The early worm catcheth the bird."

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2019, 01:02:54 PM »

do you have any knowledge about a probable rel date for 0.92?
I don't have any knowledge about it, no. But if I had to guess, I'd say the next update will be released somewhere between 4 and 12 months from now.

captinjoehenry

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2019, 08:46:55 PM »

Have you increased the default max fleet size? Due to technical limitations, the difficulty stars aren't displayed on the deployment screen if your fleet has more than 30 ships in reserve.

Ah that's a shame.  Yeah I have increased my max fleet size.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2019, 11:43:29 PM »

Ah that's a shame.
Yeah, I agree. I've requested a decent way to find out which ships are selected for deployment, so hopefully that will make it into the next Starsector release and I'll be able to improve support for people who increase fleet size.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2019, 09:18:47 PM »

Ruthless Sector 1.2.5
Compatible with all previous versions

Fixed sometimes using up far more memory (RAM) than necessary for a while after reloading
Fixed deployment difficulty indicators not always being calculated correctly when mothballed ships are in the fleet
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 06:32:33 PM by Sundog »

Spess Mahren

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Ruthless Sector 1.2.5 - Difficulty Options for Better Gameplay
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2019, 01:09:24 PM »

Just decided to give some feedback. Would it be possible to make the hyperspace remnants use emergency burn and sustained burn as well as actually chase you around somewhat to make them more of a threat? As it is they give up chasing you very quickly, they never bother jumping into systems to go after you, and not using emergency or sustained burn means their interdiction's accomplish nothing. I have been forced into a fight with hyperspace remnants exactly once when two of their fleets spawned in a extremely favorable spot, any other time they are either free salvage or a minor navigational course correction.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2019, 06:37:01 PM »

Hmm... that's some good feedback. Generally, I tried to make hyperspace remnants as similar to vanilla remnants as possible, which is the reason they're limited in the ways you mentioned. It's certainly possible for me to change that, and I think I will.

"allowHyperspaceRemnantsToUseEmergencyBurn":false,
"allowHyperspaceRemnantsToUseSustainedBurn":false,
E-burn is very powerful and remnants are faster than average anyway, so I don't think I'll allow them to use it by default until I've had a chance to playtest it. I don't like the idea of hyperspace remnants behaving differently than normal remnants in the same game, so I'll make these settings apply universally unless there's sufficient demand for splitting them.

"allowHyperspaceRemnantsToJump":true,
If remnants occupy hyperspace, it makes sense that they should be able to move between hyperspace and normal space. I worry that allowing normal remnants to jump might cause unexpected problems, so I'll probably only allow hyperspace remnant fleets to do so.

I might be able to do something about them giving up the chase too easily as well, although in my experience they mostly tend to do this when it becomes obvious that they can't catch me anyway.

Innominandum

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2019, 11:49:35 PM »

E-burn is very powerful and remnants are faster than average anyway, so I don't think I'll allow them to use it by default until I've had a chance to playtest it. I don't like the idea of hyperspace remnants behaving differently than normal remnants in the same game, so I'll make these settings apply universally unless there's sufficient demand for splitting them.
Giving them E-burn is a pretty blunt way of E*ffing you over, how about a more subtle approach along the lines of having an occasional, additional fleet, spawn for pincer movements, increased pulse range by 20% and an upped settings.json's "battleJoinRange" to 600?
If remnants occupy hyperspace, it makes sense that they should be able to move between hyperspace and normal space. I worry that allowing normal remnants to jump might cause unexpected problems, so I'll probably only allow hyperspace remnant fleets to do so.
I might be able to do something about them giving up the chase too easily as well, although in my experience they mostly tend to do this when it becomes obvious that they can't catch me anyway.
They occasionally did this (jump into system) in 1.21 but I am not sure what the exact condition for this is/are, I remember experiencing that "Whaaaat?" moment twice by having a remnant fleet 'closely' pursuing me to a jump point where as soon as i entered the sector i would use Remote Survey. I don't know if this behavior still persists as i have stopped doing that for quiet the obvious reasons.   
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 11:53:47 PM by Innominandum »
"The early worm catcheth the bird."

Spess Mahren

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2019, 07:48:03 PM »

Hmm... that's some good feedback. Generally, I tried to make hyperspace remnants as similar to vanilla remnants as possible, which is the reason they're limited in the ways you mentioned. It's certainly possible for me to change that, and I think I will.

"allowHyperspaceRemnantsToUseEmergencyBurn":false,
"allowHyperspaceRemnantsToUseSustainedBurn":false,

I forgot normal remnants don't use sustained or emergency burn, I tend to go into red beacon systems late in a play through and I have a habit of starting new games before I reach that point. Might as well add that my fleet always hoofs it at base burn 10 with navigation 3 and augmented drive fields, I'm not sure how many other players aim to go fast like I do on the strategic layer. Also I have my join battle range set to about 1500 so I have to engage all fleets on screen more or less if I get in a fight. Thinking on it I wouldn't be surprised if hyperspace remnants would have to be made more rare or smaller in size if they actually did use e/sustained burn, having multiple fleets spawn in a pincer type formation ahead of you every so often could work to make them more of a threat ensuring you have to fight one fleet or do a 180 for a while to lose them. Another thing I forgot to mention is that the hyperspace remnants seem to despawn too quickly, Jumping into a system and spending 1-3 in game days seems to be enough for any fleet that was on top of the system in hyperspace to despawn and if they actually stuck around a while that could make leaving the system tricky assuming you didn't give them the ability to jump into/out of systems. When it comes to chasing in addition to just generally expending more effort going after you, perhaps there could occasionally be a "seek and destroy" fleet that would spawn and chase you like pirate fleets that are triggered by booby trapped hulks/stations/caches? I'm not sure how that mechanic works in detail but the pirate fleet itself seems to always be on your heels for a good length of time even if you get a good distance from them and it adds a complication to being in the outer sector that sometimes made me go back to a settled system to wait them out or let them break themselves on the local defenders.

deaxsa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2020, 05:26:05 PM »

Two Questions:

1. Is it intended that remnant fleets give less loot than normal due to their deflated fleet point costs? IE radiant/guardian has only 40 recovery cost, so it'll automatically give less loot than normal with this mod.

2. What is being calculated exactly for the difficulty comparison? I have some ships from the underworld mod, cabal faction, which have increased recovery cost, but the amount of fleet points that are used to launch them are not increased. EG If I fight with only the Star Harbinger, my bar says 20/300, but it costs me 30 supplies to do a full recovery of CR.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2020, 09:05:03 AM »

1. Is it intended that remnant fleets give less loot than normal due to their deflated fleet point costs? IE radiant/guardian has only 40 recovery cost, so it'll automatically give less loot than normal with this mod.
By default, ruthless sector reduces most loot dropped by remnant fleets to 50% of what it normally is. You can adjust this in the options file with "lootedSalvageFromRemnantsMultiplier"

2. What is being calculated exactly for the difficulty comparison? I have some ships from the underworld mod, cabal faction, which have increased recovery cost, but the amount of fleet points that are used to launch them are not increased. EG If I fight with only the Star Harbinger, my bar says 20/300, but it costs me 30 supplies to do a full recovery of CR.
Good question. I had to do a bit of an experiment to find out. Looks like the supply usage increase for Cabal ships is taken into account, so your Cabal Harbinger would count for 30 strength rather than 20.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2020, 10:03:14 PM »

Ruthless Sector 1.2.6
Compatible with all previous versions

Fixed occasional delay before updating the danger indication stars for fleet mouse-over tooltips
Several changes were made to hyperspace remnants meant to make them more dangerous and less of a nuisance:
      Halved the default frequently of hyperspace remnant appearance
      Several hyperspace remnants fleets may now spawn at the same time (configurable with "chanceOfAdditionalHyperspaceRemnantFleets")
      Hyperspace remnants will now pursue fleets more aggressively
      Increased the area in which hyperspace remnants won't spawn (to make more room for systems added by mods)
Changed: Reload penalty is now reduced by 2% per day (configurable with "reloadPenaltyReductionPerDay")

KoolAidWizard

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Ruthless Sector 1.2.6 - Difficulty Options for Better Gameplay
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2020, 05:51:51 PM »

Very much appreciate the update here! Stay healthy!

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2020, 11:13:04 PM »

;D Likewise!

Terethall

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2020, 12:05:53 AM »

This is a great mod, but is it normal to have two multi-brilliant ordos and two more small sub ordos spawn literally surrounding the player while traveling through hyperspace, so that there is no way to avoid them in any direction, and you get Piper Perried instantly during your first exploration mission 5 minutes after installing the mod? Looking at this thread maybe I need to turn down the ability for more than one fleet to spawn, or maybe the distance? Two is reasonable. Four spawned in on top of me is too many in the immediate early game.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 16