Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16

Author Topic: [0.97a] Ruthless Sector 1.6.1 - High Risk, High Reward Difficulty Options  (Read 267000 times)

Innominandum

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Ruthless Sector 1.2.1 - Difficulty Options for Better Gameplay
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2019, 11:31:00 AM »

Thank you good Sir!
"The early worm catcheth the bird."

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2019, 02:16:46 PM »

You're quite welcome  :)

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2019, 10:01:58 PM »

Ruthless Sector 1.2.2

Changed the range bonus for derelict domain drone automated defenses
   All bonuses are provided by a probe, ship, or mothership, and will not be applied when one of them is not present
   Reduced "rangeMultForAutomatedDefenses" from 2 to 1.5
   In addition to the range bonus, drones also have very high ECM, nearly guaranteeing a reduction of your own range
Changed: hyperspace remnant fleets no longer give up so easily when pursuing enemy fleets
Changed: hyperspace remnant fleets now have officers
Changed: increased radius of no-remnants area around the core worlds to give modded star systems a bit more breathing room

Buff Skeleton

• Ensign
  • UFO Detected on Corpse Radar
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Ruthless Sector 1.2.2 - Difficulty Options for Better Gameplay
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2019, 12:02:02 AM »

Great mod -- really enjoying seeing remnant fleets off in hyperspace. Makes the distant areas feel a lot more threatening.

That said, I think the threat level calculation for remnant ships may be a bit off. It seems like you get knocked down to a few stars really quickly when deploying a bunch of stuff, but you really need to against remnant fleets since they're so much more powerful than anything else you can run across. Maybe give them a bit of a boost to the threat rating if possible? I can see how deploying a single battleship would kick it down to like 2-3 stars against a pirate fleet, but against remnants, that's basically just your centerpiece. You still need a lot more than that to actually deal with them, especially if they have a battleship of their own.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2019, 12:57:23 PM »

Thanks for the feedback! I'll pay close attention to difficulty ratings against remnants next time I do a bout of play-testing. The strength estimation of each ship is based on values not set by me, but I still have a bit of control over how it's calculated.  I think part of the problem with remnants in particular is that people generally start fighting them once their character level is fairly high, meaning the strength estimation of their own ships may be unexpectedly high.

cathar

• Lieutenant
  • ludd is bae
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2019, 12:52:30 AM »

I agree with Buff Skeleton, something about the rating with Remnant - and also Blade Breakers and later IBBs -  seems a bit off. Spent the last few play sessions wrestling with high danger Remnant and Blade Breaker systems and once I deploy two or three capitals I will be at 1 or 2 stars, even though I would most likely lose that fight.

Is there a config setting for how much player level figures into the calculation? Maybe you could give less experienced players (like me) the option to not have their non-existent skill factor in the difficulty rating.

EDIT: I'm using mostly pirate ships from the Tahlan Shipworks mod, which have *** front shields especially badly suited for Remant fights it seems. I know this is the kind of mod interaction that can only lead to madness if another modder tries to account for it, but it would be nice to have a config option to tailor it to this situation.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 12:55:02 AM by cathar »

Sinosauropteryx

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2019, 07:14:13 AM »

Just a heads up, there is a bug with the difficulty stars during deployment. If you fill up your DP total, say by deploying 10 ships, and click on the 11th ship, the 11th ship will of course not be deployed but it WILL lower the difficulty value being displayed. Further, if you then de-select one of your 10 ships and deploy the 11th, the second click on that 11th ship will raise the difficulty back up.

It's possible to exploit the bug by filling your DP limit, clicking your best ships to manipulate the difficulty, then going back and deploying only those ships. All your best ships will be deployed, and the battle will calculate difficulty as though you had 0 ships deployed. (Or at least, the visuals suggest that's what's happening. I didn't test if I actually got more XP)

https://youtu.be/dFFBFUbCXak

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2019, 12:41:21 PM »

Is there a config setting for how much player level figures into the calculation? Maybe you could give less experienced players (like me) the option to not have their non-existent skill factor in the difficulty rating.
Sounds like you'll want to open RUTHLESS_SECTOR_OPTIONS.ini and set "playerIncreaseToFleetStrengthPerLevel" to 0.

Just a heads up, there is a bug with the difficulty stars during deployment. If you fill up your DP total, say by deploying 10 ships, and click on the 11th ship, the 11th ship will of course not be deployed but it WILL lower the difficulty value being displayed. Further, if you then de-select one of your 10 ships and deploy the 11th, the second click on that 11th ship will raise the difficulty back up.
Thank you! This was a very detailed and useful bug report. I can't believe I didn't think of the need to account for the deployment cap...

It's possible to exploit the bug by filling your DP limit, clicking your best ships to manipulate the difficulty, then going back and deploying only those ships. All your best ships will be deployed, and the battle will calculate difficulty as though you had 0 ships deployed. (Or at least, the visuals suggest that's what's happening. I didn't test if I actually got more XP)
Right, the visuals suggest that, but the actual difficulty rating is calculated separately and can't be manipulated in this way. You can see this by closing the deployment window after messing it up and re-opening it, which will make it re-calculate and display the correct number of stars.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2019, 02:13:31 PM »

Ruthless Sector 1.2.3

Fixed deployment screen difficulty indicator bug that would occur when trying to deploy beyond the DP limit
Changed default settings to no longer show battle difficulty notifications

Sinosauropteryx

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Ruthless Sector 1.2.3 - Difficulty Options for Better Gameplay
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2019, 04:02:06 PM »

You work fast! Glad I could be of help :)

SierraTangoDelta

• Commander
  • Who could it be?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2019, 05:43:09 PM »

Thanks for the feedback! I'll pay close attention to difficulty ratings against remnants next time I do a bout of play-testing. The strength estimation of each ship is based on values not set by me, but I still have a bit of control over how it's calculated.  I think part of the problem with remnants in particular is that people generally start fighting them once their character level is fairly high, meaning the strength estimation of their own ships may be unexpectedly high.

Regardless of player level, Remnant ships are always really nasty. Especially when they end up deploying those insane phase skimmer battleships and phase cloak cruisers. You can't really fight them without outnumbering them, since they are just so much stronger.

Ishman

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Ruthless Sector 1.2.4 - Difficulty Options for Better Gameplay
« Reply #56 on: September 19, 2019, 06:40:58 PM »

snip
If you're playing with a lot of mod factions, you'll probably want to use a supership or other player pilot bait to fight remnants, and deploy tanky ships (deep flux pools, ok shields, good dissipation) as anchors while you scoot around cleaning things up.

Interstellar Imperium cruisers with elite package, the yamato, stuff from tahlan like Castigators, BRDY ships like the Morpheus, Sylphon's rakia, and so on.

If you're using more vanilla stuff, you'll probably want apogees (insane efficiency for their DP cost, they bring a large energy and missile along with one of the biggest flux pools for the deploy price and a good shield) backed by something very long ranged in order to threaten off their harassing stuff (a turreted HIL is very good for this purpose).

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 19, 2019, 06:52:13 PM »

Ruthless Sector 1.2.4

Fixed derelict domain drone bonuses not being applied when they fail to have the "derelict" tag as they should (no idea why that happens, but it does)

captinjoehenry

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2019, 09:47:27 PM »

Hi for some reason I'm not seeing the difficulty rating when I am in battle deploying my ships.  Is there a way I could fix that?

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2019, 10:47:30 PM »

Have you increased the default max fleet size? Due to technical limitations, the difficulty stars aren't displayed on the deployment screen if your fleet has more than 30 ships in reserve.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16