Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16

Author Topic: [0.97a] Ruthless Sector 1.6.1 - High Risk, High Reward Difficulty Options  (Read 267085 times)

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Ruthless Sector 1.2.6 - Difficulty Options for Better Gameplay
« Reply #105 on: October 08, 2020, 04:28:43 PM »

1) I'm actually playing with another difficulty-enchancing mod called Second Wave Options 0.6.0 ( https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=17086.0 ) and while it does not seem there would be any conflict between the two (they actually modify different parameters and should work togheder really well) it would be wise to ask you directly. The mod setting can be modified in the RCSW_SETTINGS.ini file wich overrides some game files and I think that's where some conflic may arise
I'm not aware of any conflicts with Second Wave.

2) I'm playing with expanded sleet size and enemy officer limits (50, 50 and 20 respecively) and I've already read that the fleet difficulty rating may not work on the map. Do you think it'll work in the deployment phase as I bring in my ships?
Using an increased fleet size setting won't prevent the difficulty rating stars from working correctly on the campaign map. However, they won't show up on the deployment screen if you have more than 30 (the default limit) ships left to deploy (I'm hoping Alex will make it possible for me to fix this with the next release of Starsector)

3) I've got a few mods that add additional [Redacted] ships, (mainly supercapitals and supercarriers) ranging from Nightmarish to PTSD inducing, is their deployment cost (wich I think is higher than the Radiant) going to be accounted for in the difficulty rating? The same applies to the Probe bois (there is one really fun ship called Wall that's basically a mobile, front facing station with two attached sections on both of its sides)
Yes, the estimated strength of each ship is provided by the mod that adds it. Ships more powerful than the most powerful vanilla ships are supported just fine.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 08, 2020, 05:23:35 PM »

Thank you for the replies kind sir! I've now also ventured into the fringes of my randomized sector and there indeed are consistent [Redacted] fleets. I'm really glad I'm actually using insulated engine assemblies on all my capitals, plus the Kadur combat Tug that also can fit that and already comes with militarized subsystems, massively decreasing the absurd signature tugs generate.

I am not fighting four of these.

Or...you know...the other even spookier one wich is too damn cool for me to spoil how it either looks or operates  :o
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 05:28:23 PM by Arcagnello »
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

Modo44

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 09, 2020, 01:54:33 AM »

Yes, the estimated strength of each ship is provided by the mod that adds it. Ships more powerful than the most powerful vanilla ships are supported just fine.
Although you have to account for mod authors making mistakes in their assumptions. Various modded stuff is way stronger than its deployment cost suggests. This can throw off fleet strength calculations (both ways).

shrek_luigi

• Ensign
  • im green as ****
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 09, 2020, 11:20:07 AM »

using this mod in conjunction with hyperdrive is nightmare-fuel, the remnant spooky-bois will jump right on top of ya, lots of fun  8)
@Shrek_luigi: While I applaud your choice of flagship, please don't circumvent the profanity filter.

Modo44

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 09, 2020, 11:41:42 AM »

Try the Blade Breakers. There is always that one system without a warning beacon... Fun times.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 14, 2020, 07:00:29 AM »

Just popping back to the thread to say I'm very happy about the [Redacted] in hyperspace feature I did not fully experience until now.

I went in expecting them to sort of roll over and die under the prepotent foot of my Prophets just to find out they had 70% ECM rating and trying to catch a 5 tach lance Radiant with -35% range debuffs, no shields and max 900u range weapons is not fun, not to mention other mod capitals that probably are worth 2 radiants put togheder in terms of both girth and firepower.

Spoiler
[close]

I had to go back to my home planet with a couple more D-mods and rethink my whole fleet composition just to come ontop.

Even the once mundane Probe sentries actually feel a lot more threatening, with some already potent mod ships becoming especially lethal

Spoiler
[close]

The only thing I would add to the latter faction is better armor retention. They really are way too squishy after the armor is gone. Is it possible for the mod to alter residual armor and boost it to 10-15% instead of the standard 5% all factions have?

You could either do that or contact other mod authors and have hullmods along the lines of "Integrated Armor" (from this mod https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=18474.0 ) pre-installed on all of them by default.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 07:02:20 AM by Arcagnello »

Spess Mahren

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 16, 2020, 08:41:05 PM »

I have some more information related to that issue with the black list, I filled out the white list and switched it on in response to the bug and found that I would not be getting any rep boosts from some battles. So I'm thinking the white list is just blocking the rep gain if the selected faction isn't white listed rather then making ruthless sector pick randomly only from white listed factions. Any battle difficulty over 100%+ should give a rep boost correct? Have you gotten any idea what the cause of the problem is? I'm hoping you were able to reproduce it since as far as I'm aware only I have noticed this so far.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 08:45:51 PM by Spess Mahren »

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 18, 2020, 05:31:44 PM »

@Spess Mahren: Hey, sorry it took me so long to look into this. I couldn't reproduce the issue on my end, but, after looking through the related code, I think this issue might be caused by failure to load the blacklist (which could be caused by any number of things. After loading up your save, can you search the log for an entry that looks like this?
191898 [Thread-4] ERROR ruthless_sector.BattleListener  - Error reading data/config/ruthlesssector/faction_rep_change_blacklist.csv
If so, that and the few dozen lines below it should provide us with some insight into what's going wrong.
I just made sure this type of error will be displayed prominently in future versions.

@Arcagnello: Glad you're enjoying yourself!  ;D
Yeah, the probe sentries are pitifully weak, which is why this mod gives them the ECM bonus. Making them a bit tankier could help a bit, but I feel like it would just slightly delay the inevitable, and I prefer not to interfere with vanilla more than necessary anyway, so I'd probably just increase their ECM if I wanted to make them more challenging.

Spess Mahren

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 19, 2020, 10:48:25 AM »

Well I replaced my ruthless sector with a fresh install just in case and turned off the white list, I just got a rep boost with the cabal that are black listed by default I looked through the log and while there wasn't a error message I did find ruthless sector mentioning the rep boost.

Spoiler
3212857 [Thread-4] INFO  ruthless_sector.ModPlugin  - Enemy strength: 6.0
3212857 [Thread-4] INFO  ruthless_sector.ModPlugin  - Reload Penalty Adjustment: 0.0 + 0.2
3213045 [Thread-10] INFO  sound.oo0O  - Creating streaming player for music with id [UnidentifiedContact.ogg]
3213047 [Thread-10] INFO  sound.null  - Playing music with id [UnidentifiedContact.ogg]
3214303 [Thread-4] INFO  com.github.isturdy.automaticorders.AutomaticOrders  - Setting personality of sun_sl_17f8e ISS Bound by Hera to aggressive
3214320 [Thread-4] INFO  data.scripts.WeaponArcsPlugin  - Shipname: ISS Bound by Hera
3219570 [Thread-4] INFO  org.histidine.chatter.combat.ChatterCombatPlugin  - Too late for intro message: 8.362995
3262854 [Thread-4] INFO  ruthless_sector.ModPlugin  - Player strength: 4.71999979019165
3263858 [Thread-8] INFO  sound.oo0O  - Cleaning up music with id [UnidentifiedContact.ogg]
3266088 [Thread-4] INFO  ruthless_sector.BattleListener  - Rep change of 0.01 with cabal due to impressive victory
3266089 [Thread-4] INFO  data.scripts.campaign.intel.VayraPlayerBountyListener  - might post a bounty on player for 33750
3266089 [Thread-4] INFO  data.scripts.campaign.intel.VayraPlayerBountyListener  - decided it wasn't worth the trouble
3266089 [Thread-4] INFO  exerelin.campaign.StatsTracker  - Tracker tracking battle
3268811 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.LoadingUtils  - Loading CSV data from [DIRECTORY: C:\starsector0.9.1\Starsector\starsector-core\..\mods\Kadur Remnant]
3268812 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.LoadingUtils  - Loading CSV data from [DIRECTORY: C:\starsector0.9.1\Starsector\starsector-core\..\mods\tahlan]
3268812 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.LoadingUtils  - Loading CSV data from [DIRECTORY: C:\starsector0.9.1\Starsector\starsector-core\..\mods\Vayra's Sector]
3268819 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.LoadingUtils  - Loading CSV data from [DIRECTORY: C:\starsector0.9.1\Starsector\starsector-core\..\mods\Kadur Remnant]
3268820 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.LoadingUtils  - Loading CSV data from [DIRECTORY: C:\starsector0.9.1\Starsector\starsector-core\..\mods\tahlan]
3268821 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.LoadingUtils  - Loading CSV data from [DIRECTORY: C:\starsector0.9.1\Starsector\starsector-core\..\mods\Vayra's Sector]
3270234 [Thread-4] INFO  exerelin.plugins.ExerelinModPlugin  - Before game save
3270234 [Thread-4] INFO  ruthless_sector.ModPlugin  - Reload Penalty Adjustment: 0.20000000298023224 + -1.707123
[close]

My log has a huge amount of that loading CSV spam that I haven't noticed before but I can't pin down what is causing it, cycling through the same three mods over and over, I haven't noticed any problems with the mods in question so far.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 19, 2020, 01:10:05 PM »

Hmm... well in that case I'm at a bit of a loss. I can't think of any reason the blacklist wouldn't work unless there's a problem reading it. On my end both Cabal and Templars are excluded from the list of potential factions that may be chosen to grant bonus rep. I can't think of a way another mod could interfere, and there aren't any settings that could throw things off. I'll have to give this some thought. There must be something I'm overlooking.

onychannel

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 28, 2020, 02:14:30 PM »

Hey, just wanted to drop this error I received for RS - didn't crash the game though:

3739005 [Thread-4] ERROR ruthless_sector.ModPlugin  - null
    com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.fleets.DefaultFleetInflater.inflate(DefaultFleetInflater.java:296)
    com.fs.starfarer.campaign.fleet.CampaignFleet.inflateIfNeeded(Unknown Source)
    ruthless_sector.CampaignScript.advance(CampaignScript.java:65)
    com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignEngine.advance(Unknown Source)
    com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignState.advance(Unknown Source)
    com.fs.starfarer.BaseGameState.traverse(Unknown Source)
    com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
    com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
    com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
    java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

3739016 [Thread-4] ERROR ruthless_sector.ModPlugin  - null
    com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.fleets.DefaultFleetInflater.inflate(DefaultFleetInflater.java:296)

3739029 [Thread-4] ERROR ruthless_sector.ModPlugin  - null

3739040 [Thread-4] ERROR ruthless_sector.ModPlugin  - null

3739053 [Thread-4] ERROR ruthless_sector.ModPlugin  - null

3739066 [Thread-4] ERROR ruthless_sector.ModPlugin  - null

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 28, 2020, 10:48:06 PM »

Thanks for the report! In spite of ruthless sector blaming itself for this error, it's likely caused by a faction mod. What happened is that ruthless sector told the game to create variants for all of the ships in a fleet (this is called fleet inflation), and something went wrong while the game tried to do so. Ruthless sector doesn't control anything about inflation, it just initiated the process, but because a process failed that ruthless sector started, it assumed it caused the error and showed you the error message.

Unfortunately, this error indicates that your game is susceptible to crashing due to errors during fleet inflation, which happens all the time, such as when you mouse over a fleet to view its tooltip. I'd guess that inflation is failing due to an error in a variant file from one of your faction mods, but really it could be anything that affects how inflation works.

Edit: Could you post the contents of your enabled_mods.json? That might narrow things down a bit.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 05:12:02 PM by Sundog »

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Ruthless Sector 1.2.4 - Difficulty Options for Better Gameplay
« Reply #117 on: November 02, 2020, 07:32:31 PM »

Ruthless Sector 1.2.7
Compatible with all previous versions

Fixes for rare or minor bugs and refinements for existing features.
Full patch notes here.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Ruthless Sector 1.2.4 - Difficulty Options for Better Gameplay
« Reply #118 on: November 03, 2020, 02:35:42 AM »

Ruthless Sector 1.2.7
Compatible with all previous versions

Fixes for rare or minor bugs and refinements for existing features.
Full patch notes here.

You fixed a bug of your mod blaming itself for crashes instead of other mods?

Your mods are as nice as you are fella, it can't be just me finding this hilarious  ;D

Chairman Suryasari

• Captain
  • The Deployer of John Lennon's.
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Ruthless Sector 1.2.7 - Difficulty Options for Better Gameplay
« Reply #119 on: November 03, 2020, 03:33:02 AM »

This mod plus starfarer mode make this game borderline impossible to legit run. It's really fun if you think about it  ;D
"Kids under 13 shouldn't have access to the internet. if 10yo me were on tumblr and read about suicide and depression 5 hours a day, every day, god knows i would jump off a bridge if my parents ever yell at me."

-Some random Youtube comment on video about Sonic OC.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16