Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: 20 Drovers vs Pirate Starbase and 26 Doom Fleets, 616 ships destroyed, no losses  (Read 20752 times)

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Flash Bombers are good, but in limited numbers. Like 2 out 6 for Astral. Their job is to distract PD, provide defensive screen for other bombers and finish off the target should it fail to dodge (but even Capitals can dodge them to some extent). Also good at forcing enemy keep shields/PD up while bombers are already reloading for next run.

Buffing their damage via Heron ability doesn't do much. Flash mines either fail to reach target due to PD/being dodged or overwhelm it even without additional buffs.

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile

The range on that thing is set to 2000, really really excessive, I wonder what if I change it to something like 500, so there's less wasted ammo. Also it probably benefits from a Warthog style circle strafing, I guess it's controlled by the attackPositionOffset value in the wingdata.csv?

@Rap1d

I think an alternative to removing all weapons on the Drover is to go to Starsector\starsector-core\data\hulls\ship_data.csv and change the cell CARRIER, COMBAT to CARRIER in Drover's row. Not quite cheating because the Drover will be getting this change next patch anyways.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 04:55:56 AM by goduranus »

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Flash bombers are like piranhas on steroids. My experience is that massing them is amazing vs stations and usually inconsistent otherwise. In cluttered fleet battles towards the end of the game, they can be very effective because ships tend to have a lot less room to maneuver. I see them as more of a saturation bomber where massing them prevents the enemy from dodging them.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile

Flash bombers are like piranhas on steroids. I see them as more of a saturation bomber where massing them prevents the enemy from dodging them.
"Our bombs shall blot out the sun!"
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile

More Spark Drover adventure! This time 16 Spark Drovers take on 4 Redacted fleets including 7 Radiant battleships
With 0.91a's gunless carrier fix, more enemy fleets will join battle now.

(Seems to need 20 more minutes rendering)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 08:16:03 AM by goduranus »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile

Heh, brutal. Are you still using no weapons on them, or can you put some on and have them maintain distance?

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Haven't tried putting any weapons yet, they don't get close enough to shoot guns, maybe I'll try putting a Salamander on later.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile

Super effective!

In your opinion, does this work as well with other fighters? What is it in particular about sparks that are so powerful?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Do you happen to have a save prior to this battle? I'd love to get my hands on it to use for testing both balance and AI behavior when faced with a player fleet like this.

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Do you happen to have a save prior to this battle? I'd love to get my hands on it to use for testing both balance and AI behavior when faced with a player fleet like this.

Should be this one:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PvqdKf75FYS7enmzQCKzb8rG-IEQSoH9

Super effective!

In your opinion, does this work as well with other fighters? What is it in particular about sparks that are so powerful?

Not totally sure, but I have a suspicion it is a combination of speed and shields. Because sparks are so fast, often times the enemy will not be able to land several shots in a row to kill it, and they end up flux locking themselves from firing at the sparks.

A mix of Broadsword+Talon and Talon+Warthog Drovers also work pretty well.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Niiice, thank you! <rubs hands>

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile

Niiice, thank you! <rubs hands>
RIP Sparks and Drovers...
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara

Yeap. Massive nerf incoming!

Please be gentle, Alex. ;D

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Not going to touch it for the hotfix, so at least no worries on that account :)

SapphireSage

• Captain
    • View Profile

I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up nerfing fighters in general rather then just Drover, drover system, and Sparks. Though it sounds like we might get some AI changes to better handle fighter swarms which will be much nicer.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6