Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Windowned game freeze permanently when losing focus  (Read 1321 times)

ArnaudB

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Windowned game freeze permanently when losing focus
« on: April 10, 2019, 01:55:14 AM »

Hello,

I have had this persistent problem that when I play a game (with a numbers of mods, but changing them has seemingly no impact), the game end up freezing when I move to another application.

Specifically I play Starsector in a window and have others tabs open, either firefox or in one instance a notepad to take notes of noteworthy finds as I played. Yet very very often when I lose focus and go back to it, especially after a longer period of time, the window will freeze and stop responding no matter how much time is spent waiting. Afterward I get the LGWC error - Pixel not formated, which can only be solved by rebooting the entire computer (this also screw with others launched games until reboot).

I suspect the problem is similar to Fell Seal where I had a similar issue, which was mostly solved by making the game keep working in the background. There is no such options for starsector though.

The Starsectorlog gives no information about the freeze, it just trails off...
Spoiler
94194 [Thread-4] INFO  exerelin.campaign.intel.FactionBountyIntel  - Ending bounty by faction [Neutrino]
95032 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.fleets.EconomyFleetRouteManager  - Added trade fleet route from Kydoimos to Gindraum
100951 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.intel.ProcurementMissionIntel  - Created ProcurementMissionIntel: domestic_goods to Rathon
101164 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.fleets.EconomyFleetRouteManager  - Added trade fleet route from Nibiru Nest to El Facil
102819 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.intel.AnalyzeEntityMissionIntel  - Created AnalyzeEntityMissionIntel: Orbital Habitat, faction: Looters
[close]
I did note that my starsector logs was 29,409ko big after a frozen session.

Does anyone have a clue how to solve that?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Windowned game freeze permanently when losing focus
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 08:52:31 AM »

Hmm - can you try setting idleWhileWindowNotVisible to false in data/config/settings.json? I think that's what you're looking for, at least as far as replicating the fix for the other game.

(Sorry about the trouble, btw! Not sure what would cause this, haven't heard about anything similar before that I can remember.)

ArnaudB

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Windowned game freeze permanently when losing focus
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 12:37:24 AM »

Thank you for that quick reply. I tried it a bit and didn't have problem. I will keep trying and see if the problem pops up again.

I suspect this is partly due to NVDIA shenanigan. Even if I now have the video card as selected first (which really upped the performance on all my games once I realized it was on autoselect), I think when I tab out it doesn't know which of intel graphic or nvidia GPU it should use.

We'll see if I am not wrong or not.

Thank for your continued support and work on the game.