Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: RFE: undecorated windowed mode.  (Read 4925 times)

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
RFE: undecorated windowed mode.
« on: March 09, 2012, 03:56:45 PM »

Is there a config flag to disable window decoration? (borderless window)

I want to utilize the full display area, but without the tedium of alt-tabbing when in fullscreen exclusive mode.

behrooz

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: RFE: undecorated windowed mode.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 08:26:26 PM »

Seconded.  Borderless windowed mode is by far the optimal solution for multi-monitor setups.

Alt-tabbing runs into all kinds of native color depth and screen-switching problems, whereas borderless windowed just works.

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 08:38:47 PM »

Replace the vmparams file in the Starfarer install directory with the following:
Code
java.exe -server -XX:CompilerThreadPriority=1 -XX:+CompilerThreadHintNoPreempt -Djava.library.path=native\\windows -Dorg.lwjgl.opengl.Window.undecorated=true -Xms512m -Xmx512m -classpath janino.jar;commons-compiler.jar;commons-compiler-jdk.jar;starfarer.api.jar;starfarer_obf.jar;jogg-0.0.7.jar;jorbis-0.0.15.jar;json.jar;lwjgl.jar;jinput.jar;log4j-1.2.9.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;fs.sound_obf.jar;fs.common_obf.jar;xstream-1.4.2.jar -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.saves=..\\saves -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.screenshots=..\\screenshots -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.mods=..\\mods -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.logs=. com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher
After that, just disable fullscreen in the launcher, set the screen resolution to your native resolution, and there you go, fullscreen borderless windows. :)

Alex: if you want to add this to Starfarer natively, the relevant launch parameter is -Dorg.lwjgl.opengl.Window.undecorated=true
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 08:41:52 PM by LazyWizard »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 01:09:03 PM »

Alex: if you want to add this to Starfarer natively, the relevant launch parameter is -Dorg.lwjgl.opengl.Window.undecorated=true

Oh, thanks for that! I'll see if setting it after the JVM starts (i.e., after the game has a chance to read the config file) works - seems like it should.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 05:39:09 PM »

Actually, I find this very useful for people with laptops. :) Looks a whole lote better in windowed mode because it gives the feel of fullscreen. ;D Thanks!
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

RenHoek

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2012, 12:13:47 PM »

I tried this, but it's still full-screen exclusive. I.e. when you tab to another window, it doesn't overlay the other window on the game screen, it just switches out the game screen entirely.

So that's not quite what I was looking for

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 12:22:03 PM »

I tried this, but it's still full-screen exclusive. I.e. when you tab to another window, it doesn't overlay the other window on the game screen, it just switches out the game screen entirely.

Odd, that setting works as it "should" here - overlaying the other window on top. (Using XP at the moment...)

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2012, 12:28:36 PM »

Did you remember to turn off fullscreen in the launcher?

RenHoek

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2012, 01:40:12 PM »

Did you remember to turn off fullscreen in the launcher?

Yup, it's turned off. I changed the vmparams file with the line above. Stays exclusive but does go fullscreen. (Win7/54a)