Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: In-Battle Cover/Terrain  (Read 622 times)

isyourmojofly

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
In-Battle Cover/Terrain
« on: August 12, 2019, 12:35:20 AM »

There have been a few ideas floating around over the years for adding larger asteroids and other obstacles in battles. I think this would be fantastic.

Currently it can't be modded in, as per Alex's response here: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=6265.msg101361#msg101361

This wouldn't happen in *every* battle, only in particular areas. So in an asteroid field fight, or near a moon, you might have a much denser field of small asteroids, as well as a few larger ones that provide real cover. You could do something similar with space debris too, so when you're fighting in a ship graveyard (or the scene of a battle) there are huge chunks of metal floating about.

What I love about this idea is how it could dramatically change the battle style. Careful duelling around large asteroids, or frenetic knife-fighting in the confusion of a debris field . . . sounds like a lot of fun!

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: In-Battle Cover/Terrain
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 01:16:06 AM »

Current AI is not aware of obstacles in any meaningful way (one cheap and common trick is to push larger asteroid or debree ahead of yourself as you approach target, to safely get into close range), throwing more obstacles at it would become viable only after AI is taught to handle them. Which is not a trivial thing to do and I don't know where it is on Alex's priorities list.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 01:18:07 AM by TaLaR »