Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Autofire and weapon order when using autofit  (Read 5163 times)

atreg

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Autofire and weapon order when using autofit
« on: April 03, 2019, 12:32:20 AM »

Just a couple pet peeves I have with autofit.

1. Let auto-assign put missiles in weapon group 1 if all other weapons would be set as autofire. As far as I can tell, the only time it does so is if you're using at least two different types of missiles (with regards to primary roles).
Current implementation
Spoiler
[close]
vs
My preference
Spoiler
[close]

2. The AI was recently updated to autofire most hardpoints, but auto-assign still sets them to manual firing. For the sake of convenience when making AI loadouts and my own preferences, I'd like it if auto-assign also set all non-"bursty" (not Phase Lance, Gauss Cannon, Antimatter Blaster, etc.) hardpoints as autofire. 
Current implementation
Spoiler
[close]
vs
My preference
Spoiler
[close]

Kohlenstoff

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Autofire and weapon order when using autofit
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 11:46:41 AM »

You can save presets on autofit screen. In these presets are the autofiring configurations of the saved ship also saved.

Autofire should never be assigned automatically on non-PD-weapons since even small weapons spending flux at the wrong time could be deadly for yourself. If you want to survive or even win hard battles, it is crucial to focus the fire on single enemies to kill them one by one instead of letting them share their flux regeneration. Even 10 % wasted flux is a huge difference in battle!

atreg

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 10:02:51 PM »

Custom variants help, but only after you decide on and actually save the loadout. You still have to deal with the annoyance while testing them out.

Regarding your second point, I can just select and target a ship to focus it down. Manually firing everything sounds very inefficient, especially for larger ship classes where you can have up to 4 non-PD weapon groups. As it relates to hardpoints, without autofire I'd still just end up holding down M1 for most of the engagement anyways.
Maybe I just play differently than you, but I aggressively keep my flux low enough that 10% is rarely, if ever, a big deal.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 01:59:50 AM by atreg »

Kohlenstoff

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 08:58:23 AM »

Manually firing everything sounds very inefficient, especially for larger ship classes where you can have up to 4 non-PD weapon groups.

You should actually make the groups in a way where either manually firing is efficient or autofire is assigned. Its your job as player to decide your preference. And when weapon groups need autofire, you can assign this to the respective group and save as a preset. There is no need to force your preference for auto assigning autofire to everything to every player. AIs change autofire configurations anyways to their own preferences (you can notice it often, when you change flagship).

When you think 10 % is not much, it is your style of play. I prefer to play with as few ships as possible to have profit (supplies) even after repairs of ships during endgame fights so that i don't have to go home just for resupply. During these fights 10 % more or less flux is alot. If an enemy ships shield can dissipate 70 % of your damage output, 10 % more own flux means 33 % more actual damage to this enemy ship. And if you are this enemy and you can dissipate 77 % instead of 70 %, you will survive for 30 % extra time. For many players this is reason enough to prefer having as much manual control as possible for spending flux during battle.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 09:03:51 AM by Kohlenstoff »

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 09:43:49 AM »

Kohlenstoff: Autofire should absolutely be set as part of automatic weapon assignment, excepting only missiles and strike-type weapons.  Because here's the thing about an auto-assign: it's meant to be a low-effort useful configuration, something that is maybe not optimal, but also won't immediately shoot you in the foot.  For an AI controlled ship, which groups are set to auto-fire by default is irrelevant; the AI will turn groups on and off as it thinks is appropriate.  For the player, by contrast - well, you can -also- turn groups on or off if you need to during battle; your style of micro-managing which groups are active means you'll be doing a lot of that anyway, so whether it starts on or not shouldn't matter to you.  By contrast, someone who doesn't tend to micro-manage their ship's guns (perhaps they built a variant that has enough flux vents to fire everything all the time) may take some time and confusion before they figure out why some of the guns they installed aren't shooting at things.

Overall, I have to agree with Atreg's suggestions; they're well thought out and would be an improvement to the game.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Kohlenstoff

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 01:43:55 PM »

By contrast, someone who doesn't tend to micro-manage their ship's guns (perhaps they built a variant that has enough flux vents to fire everything all the time) may take some time and confusion before they figure out why some of the guns they installed aren't shooting at things.

You actually told the reason, why it is a bad idea in my opinion. Beginners will probably wonder much more about, why their shilds are going down so fast and why they cant win a battle against two weak ships while one strong ship is so easy to beat. It takes some time to understand, that the drain of firepower at the back drains also the shields until overload and that not firing everything on every side is the key to win 1 vs. multiple enemy battles. Thats, why such playstyle should not be encouraged. Other games have also multiple weapons to choose from so that most people are already used to changing the weapon.

And i would not define using weapon groups in the intended way as micromanagement. A well configured ship has weapon groups only for neccessary purposes. Like one for hardpoint and one for rotating weapons or groups which consume already the whole flux dissipation alone while firing together by default has not many advantages (like plasma cannons and tachyon lances, which are best used in two seperate groups).

But whatever. For me it doesn't matter anyways, since i know how to turn on and off autofire and how to save presets for autofits.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 01:45:53 PM by Kohlenstoff »

fuckoffautofire

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 01:41:41 AM »

hey hey , why wont my ship use autofire on most weapons? are you have to manual your whole fleet? also when i press V some smoke or *** comes out, it makes my ship invincible and i see it did that by itself but not anymore, it rather wants to get destroyed why is that?

Zalpha

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 03:03:21 AM »

^ Username checks out...

I like the idea of the screenshots, the manually fired weapons would be nicer to be junctioned into the first (few slots if more) number slot and the rest of the auto-firing weapons be added to the following numbers.