Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: No fighters that grant 'ground support'?  (Read 7105 times)

angrytigerp

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: No fighters that grant 'ground support'?
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2019, 07:09:26 AM »

1.) Hullmod. Take away the carrier's bays for X bonus in attack strength per bay removed (call it "ground attack craft manufactory; unfortunately, this makes it very handwavy and you don't see it)

My "Repurposed Fighter Bays" hullmod from Disassemble Reassemble could be a good basis for something like this. I've already made one random standalone variant that gives bonuses to flux handling. Another that buffs ground operations should be trivial - assuming it's a stat you can change on a modular hullmod of course.

Not gonna lie, was thinking about DaRa as I said that lol.

But yeah, I imagine it'd probably be even easier than the RFB's effect, which requires a call for what value the modded ship has, then applying X% bonus to it. The ground-attack thing would probably, like Ground Support Package, just need to add Y value to the fleet's combine assault strength.

Shoat

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2019, 06:46:15 AM »

#2 is pretty much the OP @angrytigerp
Atmosphere-rated fighters that are short-ranged bricks in space & chunky transports that almost lose to mining drones, but they give a smidge of extra ground power
Practically it would be easier & better to just get a dedicated troop carrier or two, but it could get a niche in small-fleet ops & with the headcanon crowd that would pack them into the dedicated trooper. Aint no way a big honkin stinkin goose of a cruiser is going to give the same kind of precise, close-in ground support a couple wings of aero-fighters & transports could. It could knock down the big ground emplacements sure, but you'd have to park the thing a mile away and tell the cyborgs to carry a couple extra batteries after that.

Pretty much this.
Spaceships are built for space (and IN space).
Atmospheres (even something comparatively tame like mars') are a whole different and very hostile environment (suddenly there's pressure crunching down onto the hull from every direction, and there is STUFF everywhere that might have phsical or chemical reactions with some materials or with your engines). So if you have fully 100% optimized a fighter for maximum performance in a 0G vacuum environment, it'll pretty much stop functioning immediately upon entering atmosphere.
Similarly, if you build an atmospheric fighter and throw it out into space, it'll just float along dead in the water and stop functioning immediately.

So if you built a hybrid, it'll be terrible at both space combat and atmospheric combat. Which means there's no reason for there to be a hybrid fighter LPC (since it'll be worse in every way than a talon while being waay more expensive), it's entirely fine as it is in the shape of a text-only thing (ground support package could include some atmospheric planes, helicopters or hunter-killer drones that get deployed alongside transporters full of dudes).

I always find it so weird when scifi spaceships just effortlessly land and take off from earthlike-atmosphere planets. Especially if they're ships that have lots of little bits and bops (antennas, thin cannons, glass front windows) that would be in danger of crushing/breaking during landing or if they're weirdly shaped un-aerodynamic bricks but still somehow fly in straight and stable paths in-atmosphere, or if they're ships that are so absurdly flimsy that they explode instantly when someone looks at them angry (such as tie fighters).

Grizzlyadamz

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2022, 10:28:13 AM »

It has been 3 years, and I've found myself filling my ground-support vessels with some SRA aerospace fighters I scrounged (Neriads!) just for the flavor.
Yall seen any small (fighter/frigate-sized) ground support craft floating around the modiverse recently?

Chairman Suryasari

• Captain
  • The Deployer of John Lennon's.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2022, 03:30:55 AM »

Try Arma Armatura - https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=18751.0

This mod contains many battle mech as a fighter that will automatically add hull mods to your ships like ground support to simulate their other abilities other than space combat.

"A hullmod that is automatically added to carriers with Cataphract wings, which grant a small ground support bonus."
"Kids under 13 shouldn't have access to the internet. if 10yo me were on tumblr and read about suicide and depression 5 hours a day, every day, god knows i would jump off a bridge if my parents ever yell at me."

-Some random Youtube comment on video about Sonic OC.

Grizzlyadamz

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2022, 05:48:32 AM »

I was using some of Diable's Wanzers in one of my ground-craft just for the head-canon!
That looks awsome!

Deageon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2022, 09:46:12 PM »

Legacy of Arkgnesis notes that most of it's fighters can be used as atmospheric craft, for fighter superiority or in gunship roles. When you have them loaded up on a carrier, that ship gets a 0-op hullmod that adds some ground support stats.

Grizzlyadamz

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2022, 12:39:56 PM »

Ha, I just found one of those yesterday!

Between them and Arma, I'm extremely happy about being able to load genuine ground-support craft into my ground-support vessels!  ;D
Pages: 1 [2]