Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: No fighters that grant 'ground support'?  (Read 7099 times)

Grizzlyadamz

• Commander
    • View Profile
No fighters that grant 'ground support'?
« on: March 28, 2019, 04:55:47 PM »

So far I'm surprised I haven't seen any planetary-ops-rated small craft to transport/support troops, if at the cost of space-ops capabilities/efficiency
Is it not possible? Or could I just...leave this thread here and suddenly see them appear in the sector?  ;)

NightfallGemini

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: No fighters that grant 'ground support'?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 04:40:27 PM »

If by fighters you mean the stuff you equip on carriers, no. Fighters aren't part of your fleet anymore, they're LPCs.

Snrasha

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 09:07:03 PM »

If by fighters you mean the stuff you equip on carriers, no. Fighters aren't part of your fleet anymore, they're LPCs.
Not NightFallGemini, for him, this is just weird than your bomber do not help your marine to assault a planet ^^.

Grizz, because on the case if this planet has oxygen, the bomber cannot fly without burn on the atmosphere of this planet.
But yeah, on the case of a Barren planet, this thing can be weird ^^
I am pretty bad on english. So, sorry in advance.

Gladiator Society
Add battle options on Com Relay/ Framework for modders for add their own bounty.

Sanguinary Autonomist Defectors A fan-mod of Shadowyard.

Kwbr

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2019, 12:12:06 AM »

There are a few mod fighters that mention atmosphere capability I believe, would be a neat thing to see

Dunno about the technical side of things though, since I imagine hullmods work differently on fighter LPCs than regular ships

Grizzlyadamz

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2019, 12:08:32 PM »

There are fighters that grant salvage yield, according to their tooltip. See the SCV Construction Corvette that comes standard with Machine's Coalition-based Threshal capitals.

Inventor Raccoon

• Captain
  • Digging through trash for a hydroflux catalyst
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2019, 03:16:00 PM »

Giving out of combat advantages to things that typically only do anything in combat might result in encouraging weird strategies like keeping a load of utility LPCs on you, refitting all your carriers with them, salvaging or raiding for a load of goodies, then immediately swapping them back for combat fighters.

Vayra

• Admiral
  • jangala delenda est
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2019, 03:28:12 PM »

You could maybe have a "ready" timer that starts upon equipping them before you get the full bonus. Something about having to train and reach familiarity not only with the specific model of strike craft used but also with the doctrinal differences implied by its placement on a specific ship/in a specific fighter bay.

Of course, that's also a lot of work, and a lot of modders aren't necessarily going to be excited to put in that much work on something that wasn't their own idea to begin with... Time to learn java, OP?  ;)
Kadur Remnant: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=6649
Vayra's Sector: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16058
Vayra's Ship Pack: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16059

im gonna push jangala into the sun i swear to god im gonna do it

Grizzlyadamz

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2019, 04:31:46 PM »

Hm good point Inventor, swapping out LPCs does come with a significant CR deduction but it might not be enough if you can get the full bonus immediately on a low-upkeep carrier or two.
Though honestly that doesn't seem too poorly balanced- carriers tend to be expensive. Swapping out and then back again post-battle has a nice fat pricetag to recover, same deal for keeping support LPCs equipped and swapping out to combat before battle- it could multiply deployment cost by 2-4x, and take away the high-CR edge you & your officers spent skills to get. Sure it would be worth it if you're a 100% combat fleet that just crushed 2 armadas and are about to fill your holds to bursting & fly straight home, but that seems like self-limiting cheese tbh. Especially if the bonuses are appropriately low.

Of course, that's also a lot of work, and a lot of modders aren't necessarily going to be excited to put in that much work on something that wasn't their own idea to begin with... Time to learn java, OP?  ;)
No speak english
And it's a concept more than anything. Would be a weirdly-specific standalone- "Support Fighter Pack: Come get your 4 variants of generic fighter LPCs for your supplemental salvaging & ground-ops needs"? Nah that's...no way forget it
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 05:15:28 PM by Grizzlyadamz »

angrytigerp

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2019, 10:05:08 AM »

Proposals x2:

1.) Hullmod. Take away the carrier's bays for X bonus in attack strength per bay removed (call it "ground attack craft manufactory; unfortunately, this makes it very handwavy and you don't see it)

2.) Have LPCs with very poor in-combat performance (but they can still be used in space), with the flip side of offering similar attack strength bonus(es).
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 03:37:23 PM by angrytigerp »

Grizzlyadamz

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 10:09:59 PM »

#2 is pretty much the OP @angrytigerp
Atmosphere-rated fighters that are short-ranged bricks in space & chunky transports that almost lose to mining drones, but they give a smidge of extra ground power
Practically it would be easier & better to just get a dedicated troop carrier or two, but it could get a niche in small-fleet ops & with the headcanon crowd that would pack them into the dedicated trooper. Aint no way a big honkin stinkin goose of a cruiser is going to give the same kind of precise, close-in ground support a couple wings of aero-fighters & transports could. It could knock down the big ground emplacements sure, but you'd have to park the thing a mile away and tell the cyborgs to carry a couple extra batteries after that.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2019, 11:56:21 PM »

I just tested this out on some in-progress content, and it doesn't look like putting Ground Support Package on a fighter wing will give any sort of bonus to your fleet. Given how simple the hullmod script is, I think we can call this one dead in the water unless someone feels like writing some fancy hullmod code.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 10:04:24 PM by Harmful Mechanic »

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2019, 06:56:13 AM »

Well, maybe mounting the wing could install a special "ground support" hullmod onto the carrier directly?

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2019, 10:31:13 AM »

The hullmod I mentioned wouldn't be available otherwise, it's a similar solution to (Discord preview) Seeker's special weapons with "interferences". Those powerful weapons add a hullmod reducing the ship's dissipation dramatically if you use more than one, to prevent spamming those.

Grizzlyadamz

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2019, 05:40:33 PM »

***, didn't scrap that quick enough, sorry tart.
Yeah I like the idea of having the fighter LPC add the hullmod, seems like more work but worth it.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2019, 09:28:53 PM »

1.) Hullmod. Take away the carrier's bays for X bonus in attack strength per bay removed (call it "ground attack craft manufactory; unfortunately, this makes it very handwavy and you don't see it)

My "Repurposed Fighter Bays" hullmod from Disassemble Reassemble could be a good basis for something like this. I've already made one random standalone variant that gives bonuses to flux handling. Another that buffs ground operations should be trivial - assuming it's a stat you can change on a modular hullmod of course.
Pages: [1] 2