Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ideal outpost colony?  (Read 1491 times)

Grizzlyadamz

• Commander
    • View Profile
Ideal outpost colony?
« on: March 24, 2019, 02:51:53 PM »

Thinking of establishing a few launching-off points for exploration- mainly colonies that are self-sufficient & can store exploration fleets, allowing me to use just a dram/other corvette to quickly get out there without literally burning through supplies/fuel/the days between these f'ing raids.
Being able to avoid attention (or be too tough a target to take) is a must, I don't want to have to babysit them like my first colony.

So, what are the dos/don't-dos? Will they have to stay small and run a hefty deficit? Can I keep a larger/more profitable one by establishing it in a large many-planet system where I can construct a dozen patrol bases & hand them off to my commissioning faction, since they don't give a crap about deficits & are hostile to anything that would attack me?
I'm running Nexerelin, which probably makes a big difference.

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Ideal outpost colony?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 08:31:48 PM »

I think they best be put on ~175% hazard gas giants. 175 hazard so that they don't grow beyond size 3, so that you can abandon them once you're done exploring that area. Gas giant so that you can jump onto the colony right from warp space, saving you a bit of the travel time. Buildings I put on it are Space Port, Way Station, and Commerce, so that you can pick up the occasional ship hulls and weapons you happened to be missing, without moving your production rally point.

Grizzlyadamz

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 10:12:44 PM »

Do they ever get raided? Or is that a non-issue without any production?
(that's a real neat trick with the gas-giant jump point btw, but are there ever any planets that are always very close to a jump-out point? Would save a smidge of cargo-packing for the transverse)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 10:22:17 PM by Grizzlyadamz »

Kohlenstoff

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 10:32:19 PM »

I don't want to babysit every colony either. So I build allways 3 colonies at once in a star system. I prefer systems, where as much of the ressources as possible are available. But main criteria is having at least 2 habitable planets with farmland and one with organics in the system. Half of my colonies get frequent raids, no matter where they are. The 3 main colonies in the center get also frequent expeditionary fleets and AI-Inspections. While most pirate raids can be repelled by colony defences, the expeditionary fleets require much more attention until the colonies have considerable sizes. So i keep the center colonies at maximum developement so that these attract the most attention. I let the colonies grow and equip them with AI cores.