Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ability to put officers in storage at the High Command building  (Read 1783 times)

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile

With the ability to manufacture all sorts of ships at player colonies, I often find that while the fleet loadout is easy to change, it is difficult to make fleet changes because officers as stuck in particular roles of either battleship officer or carrier officers.

With player owned colonies, I think officers shouldn’t need  to be fired to make room for new officers in the fleet. I think once the player gets a High Command building going, he should have the option of putting unneeded officers into desk jobs at the admiralty, at half pay, and have them generate “command points” or something to set up planetary invasions, or level up through simulator training.

This is mostly to facilitate quick switching from combat centric fleets to carrier centric fleets, and it is also realistic, while there is nowhere for an idle officer to go at a marauding fleet, there would be plenty of jobs to keep them busy at a large colony.

“Okay, carrier battlegroups is the way forward, but don’t you battleship gurus go look for that freighter job just yet, we might need you next year, so sit tight and work on that well paid desk job.”
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 09:37:39 PM by goduranus »

angrytigerp

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Ability to put officers in storage at the High Command building
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 08:40:04 AM »

+1

I'll change my fleet paradigm every few months after acquiring (through whatever method) a new capital ship or otherwise special ship, and it's sad that I have to give up one of my 3 carrier officers, 2 battleship officers, 2 missile boat officers, or 3 phase ship officers (for an example of my sort of spread).

Also, it'd allow for us to change up completely for a specific mission. Wanna hit a faction with a wall of fighters? Grab your extra three carrier officers out of "storage" and get going. Feeling sneaky? Grab every officer with level 3 defensive systems, manuevering, weapon damage, power management, etc., and deploy a full flotilla of phase ships.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 08:52:56 AM by angrytigerp »

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Ability to put officers in storage at the High Command building
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 06:41:52 AM »

also, officer assignment could be handled with the same interface that is currently used for AI cores and nanofabs.