Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Identifying new mods from the mod index  (Read 2889 times)

aZmoDen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Identifying new mods from the mod index
« on: March 18, 2019, 06:37:25 PM »

(i put this in /modding but i suspect this might be better here..)

Good morning everyone,
Every time i go to pickup starsector again, i have to go through the process of loading up the game, checking which mods need updating and check against the list, mods i haven't downloaded yet.
All in all takes around 10-15 minutes. Not too bad. But i was thinking....
What if there was a way that i could 'tag' each mod i have downloaded from the mod index categorized page, which would allow me to at a glance, identify new mods that have been made/introduced...
Would it be possible to add something like this? see pick below for example idea...

*EDIT* maybe the bullet points could turn green if ive downloaded the mod or tagged the mod as downloaded. As an example ive setup the screenshot like that, and i can now see what mods i want to download (red dashes) very easily. What do you think? is it possible?
Im guessing it would need to be account based too....

SapphireSage

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Identifying new mods from the mod index
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 07:19:18 PM »

In terms of checking updates, the Version Checker mod won't crash the game without an internet connection, but does need it to check versions automatically for you once you load up a game.

Specifically, it will list out which mods you have that are up-to-date, which mods have an update available, and rarely a mod that it couldn't verify.

Also, if you happen to be using it I did hear that Nexerelin had version checker integrated into it.

aZmoDen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 07:41:58 PM »

Yep i have nex and VC, but as someone that wants all the possible factions and funky tools possible, i would like a way of knowing what ive missed, whats new, what i havent considered yet.
It would be nice if the version checker could automatically update the mods already there (pipe dream!) but what im really after is something that can match what ive got vs the index'd mod list so i can see whats what.
I hope that makes sense :)

*EDIT* ooooh what-if... what if the bullet points turn green if youve downloaded the mod AAAAND it turns yellow if there is an update since you downloaded it!  phwar, that would streamline everything!
You wouldnt need version checker, you could just login to the (this) website, go to the mod list (indexed) and see right there, what needs updating and what you havent got. That would be soooo streamlined it'd be sexy!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 07:48:14 PM by aZmoDen »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 08:03:52 PM »

I think what you want is Nexus Mods :) There's also the Vortex mod manager which streamlines a lot of this stuff and has built-in support for Starsector.

A forum isn't really capable of supporting this sort of per-user functionality, at least not without essentially coding up a fairly extensive application on top of it.

aZmoDen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 08:16:05 PM »

oooh cheers for the response Alex, i didnt know nexus mods (and its mod manager?) supported Starsector!
Vortex mod manager, i shall go take a looksee at that too.
Yeah i kinda figured that might be the case, but if you never post these outlandishly awesome ideas, they remain pipe dreams. And once in a while, someone says "hey i can do that, its actually really easy!"

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 08:33:51 PM »

(I don't think *all* the mods are up there, but a bunch are.)

Yeah i kinda figured that might be the case, but if you never post these outlandishly awesome ideas, they remain pipe dreams. And once in a while, someone says "hey i can do that, its actually really easy!"

Haha, fair enough :)

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 08:33:36 AM »

Alex, is there any chance that mod updates in the future would stop breaking saves? Some change you can do on your end? I believe that is the main barrier to any sort of mod manager that a lot of other games have.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 09:17:14 AM »

Alex, is there any chance that mod updates in the future would stop breaking saves? Some change you can do on your end? I believe that is the main barrier to any sort of mod manager that a lot of other games have.

I think it's largely up to the mod. Most save-breaking changes can be avoided with a bit of care, but if something major has to change, then occasionally that's impossible or just doesn't make sense to do. But with the way mods work, and the freedom they have, I can't do anything in a blanket way on my end. That said, I've made a few tweaks that make *some* of these sorts of crashes either not happen or easier to diagnose - but, right, it's not possible to do in a blanket way.

(I'm not really sure I understand your point, btw - updating mods without checking the changes seems like a bad idea regardless, and if one checks, then mods seem pretty good about saying if the latest is save-breaking or not. But perhaps I'm missing another angle.)

angrytigerp

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 12:07:46 PM »

The problem is that mod updates may just be balance passes, tweaking damage or ship values here and there, and those can be eaten rather easily by the engine because it doesn't change anything outside the battle screen, really.

The problem usually hits when mod authors add new ships and/or change fleet lists, or more often when something is deleted, or faction/colony behaviors. If there's a fleet generated in the universe (in your save file) with ship X, and ship X is removed... The game doesn't know what to do, because it's looking for assets that don't exist.

As well, the economy and marketplace is paying attention to factional information, like what fleet behaviors are expected. Let's say you have some, like, mod that adds a "religious" faction that has "crusade" fleets that do x, y, and z behaviors. If the mod author releases an update removing the "crusade" as a fleet, or redefining properties of it, the engine doesn't know how to use that fleet anymore, and if its actions are based on "crusade_fleet" behaviors, and it's referring to that file, except "crusade_fleet" doesn't exist... Exception.

There's really no non-breaking way I can think of to deal with this fault because, well, they're specific to mods. As Alex only changes fleet compositions and behaviors, and adds or subtracts stuff, during updates, and (especially since, as we all know, this is still a game in development and player progress loss is to be expected) he tells us "start a new game" (or recommends it at least), I don't fault him for not trying to add some sort of placeholder effect or replacement for such cases.

Edit: don't take this the wrong way, but i feel like you're putting undue trust in the game's developer for support of modding idiosyncrasies, when virtually every game ever with a modding scene (note, I am not talking about "editors" like say, Halo Forge, as they are built into the engine as a feature the everyday user can access) has the implicit lack of support for user generated content.

You could argue Bethesda, with its Creation Club, shows that it is possible for devs to directly offer support for mods, but they offer only limited support even in these cases, and only specifically for the bare handful of mods they've curated (and basically turned into bite-sized DLC), AND all of which don't do anything fancy requiring third party code (Skyrim Script Extender in this case). Anything you get "in the wild" is as-is and the devs have precisely zero responsibility to account for all UGC.

Now with most mods here requiring at least one of the "utility" libraries (Magic, Shader, or Lazy), it's even more silly to expect Alex to not break mods using these things that, in doing so, are already outside the scope of what the engine is written to do.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 12:39:29 PM by angrytigerp »