Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Allow switching firing modes in combat  (Read 2277 times)

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Allow switching firing modes in combat
« on: March 12, 2019, 05:24:33 AM »

Player can have weapons only in 1 group and 1 firing mode (alternating or linked).
Often I simply need both and end up choosing 'alternating', because you can badly imitate 'linked' by rapid clicking (well, I suppose I could macro it with somewhat acceptable results), while I can't go other way around.

Examples:
- Reaper/Blasters on phase ships (overkill with linked or fail to exploit window of opportunity due to lack of sync with alternative).
- Multiple Tachyon Lances (linked fire is preferable against ships as long as you have enough flux, but you need alternative to safely fire at high flux/prevent enemy from exploiting weapon cooldown to vent/snipe fighters).
- Multiple Plasma Cannons (linked is good for exploiting opportunities like enemy vent, alternative to intercept missiles/fighters or curb armor/fortress shield tanking).

So I'd very much like a hotkey to switch mode in combat. In addition a binding like 'SHIFT+click' to fire in other mode without permanently switching would also be nice.

FreedomFighter

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Allow switching firing modes in combat
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 08:41:40 AM »

There is a mod that does this so I think it doesn't far fetch to implement it in vanilla. I am more than happy to having more control over our ship.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Allow switching firing modes in combat
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 11:45:11 AM »

Also nice would be able to enforce true alternating fire on auto-fire weapons. (Such that they would only fire when a target was within all the areas)