Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fix officer auto assign  (Read 1964 times)

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
Fix officer auto assign
« on: March 07, 2019, 05:49:59 AM »

The current implementation of idle officer auto-assign has some serious limitations, to the point where correcting its output would probably take the player longer than just manually assigning officers to begin with:

- It apparently makes no attempt to assign carrier officers specifically to carriers (nor, presumably, officers with Missile Specialization to ships with missiles — but at this point I'll take what I can get)
- Assignment prioritizes ships with the highest fleet point value — even civilian ships, so e.g. a Prometheus is picked before any player-accessible combat destroyer except Harbinger.

Could this be fixed?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Fix officer auto assign
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 11:01:21 AM »

- Assignment prioritizes ships with the highest fleet point value — even civilian ships, so e.g. a Prometheus is picked before any player-accessible combat destroyer except Harbinger.

This one's already fixed for .1!

- It apparently makes no attempt to assign carrier officers specifically to carriers (nor, presumably, officers with Missile Specialization to ships with missiles — but at this point I'll take what I can get)

Hmm - it already looks at carrier vs not (yeah, not so much re: missiles, that's going a bit deep - fundamentally I think auto-assign is for when you don't really care all that much) but it just looks at the ships in order of "importance" and then pulls in a carrier or non-carrier officer. Which means if you have like 4 good combat ships and a Condor, a carrier-skill-only officer will likely get assigned to one of the "more important" combat ships and not the Condor.

Let me code up something a bit more flexible - basically computing how much a ship is a carrier, vs the suitability of a given officer for a carrier or a non-carrier, and picking based on the best pairings. Still almost guaranteed to produce a bad result here and there (I think that's just the breaks with this sort of thing) but should be considerably better in any case.

(For missiles, also, I think it's unclear what the "right" decision is - i.e. say you've got a level 10 and a level 20 officer, the latter with missile spec. Should the 10 go to an Onslaught and the 20 to the Gryphon, or vice-versa? It seems like a personal preference and also likely dependent on the specifics of the other skills the officers have, and maybe even the ship loadouts. Even if both are level 20, you might want the missile officer on the Onslaught. It just seems really muddy.)

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 06:31:22 PM »

For missiles, also, I think it's unclear what the "right" decision is...
Yeah, there's only one clear situation where missile spec is right or wrong - and that's when choosing between ships that do or don't have missiles at all.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 07:16:39 PM »

Hmm - only assuming all the other skills are identical, I think? I could see an officer with a "wasted" missile spec slot being better for a non-missile ship than an officer with more (but different) skills which aren't as powerful on the ship in question...

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 05:07:37 AM »

Ah, thanks Alex!

For missiles, also, I think it's unclear what the "right" decision is...
Yeah, there's only one clear situation where missile spec is right or wrong - and that's when choosing between ships that do or don't have missiles at all.
Yeah, that's what I had in mind. It could possibly give suboptimal results sometimes, but even those should be "good enough" that the player would need to think about it before making any changes.
(Although not checking it probably isn't too bad either)