Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Blueprint sharing from several mods - a (small) community project  (Read 2847 times)

MajorTheRed

• Captain
    • View Profile

Hello everyone,

With the V0.9, mods are able to add new blueprints including their ships. However, each new mod added to a play add new blueprints which are "diluted" in the overall mass of place where you can find them (derelict stations and caches notably), whose number is mostly a function of the size of your map. Several mods are adding blueprints packages which share a common theme, for example, prospecting stuff. This is especially true for mod vanilla-oriented like Disassemble Reassemble (for example, as it is one of the most popular mod of this kind).

So I wanted to propose some kind of agreement to combine similar blueprints package by using a standardized format. If I'm correct, it involves 2 thing:
-having the same exact line for the blueprint package in "special_items.csv"
-having the same icon available in graphics/.../icons
So that when playing with several mods, ships will be added to a single blueprint package shared by several mod, thus reducing the overall number of blueprint packages.

At a first glance, blueprints package that could be combine are the non-faction oriented:
-Prospecting/scavenging
-Jurry-rigged/overclocked/ill-advised

Mods that could benefit from it (based on my play-style) are Disassemble Reassemble, Kadur Remnant, Stop Gap Measure, Hazard Mining Incorporated and Metelson Industries (if both the later are updated by their owner to V0.9). But I guess that many faction-oriented mod that introduce this kind of ships can also add things to these package.

Vayra

• Admiral
  • jangala delenda est
    • View Profile
Re: Blueprint sharing from several mods - a (small) community project
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 07:33:50 PM »

Hmm, mine is meant to be more of a rare package (Domain-era LosTech mining equipment) as it contains one particular slightly overtuned weapon, but I suppose I could move that to rare_bp and add the Badger and Plasma Cutters to a communal mining/scavenging pack if others are interested.  :)
Kadur Remnant: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=6649
Vayra's Sector: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16058
Vayra's Ship Pack: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16059

im gonna push jangala into the sun i swear to god im gonna do it

Blothorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 10:49:05 AM »

I am actually decidedly against putting all ships with similar functions in BP packs--putting all the eggs in one basket means that the player needs that specific package before getting access to anything in that role, and that once they have the package only the "best" ships get used. Spreading ships in a role across packages both helps fill gaps earlier and encourages diversity across playthroughs, as the player may use ships they otherwise wouldn't if they get access to them before preferred alternatives.

MajorTheRed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 05:49:08 PM »

I am actually decidedly against putting all ships with similar functions in BP packs--putting all the eggs in one basket means that the player needs that specific package before getting access to anything in that role, and that once they have the package only the "best" ships get used. Spreading ships in a role across packages both helps fill gaps earlier and encourages diversity across playthroughs, as the player may use ships they otherwise wouldn't if they get access to them before preferred alternatives.

The thing is that once playing with several mods, you're actually diluting the chance of getting a specific design.
The two types of blueprints I was mentionning are less competitive and more for flavour, which mean it is unlikely designs will be competiting.

Hmm, mine is meant to be more of a rare package (Domain-era LosTech mining equipment) as it contains one particular slightly overtuned weapon, but I suppose I could move that to rare_bp and add the Badger and Plasma Cutters to a communal mining/scavenging pack if others are interested.  :)
Actually, I have also implemented a rare package encompassing a little over-the-top weapons, so I guess it can also fit in.

Blothorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 10:50:20 AM »

I am all for trying to limit the total number of BPs (e.g. minimizing rare BPs and sticking to just a couple of packages per mod), I just think consolidating by role is entirely the wrong way to approach it. If BPs are packaged by role (e.g. exploration or salvage), you have two possibilities: you have access to nothing in that role, or you have access to everything and probably just fall back to the same favorite. The first situation is frustrating, the second boring--it sidesteps the ability of the BP system to push you to try new things.

Overtuned things are equally problematic to group together--having one excessively powerful ship/weapon is exciting; having a bunch all at once can quickly mean the end of a campaign via boredom.