Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Starsector is now on the Nexus  (Read 55929 times)

zlelmefs

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector is now on the Nexus
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2019, 04:24:03 PM »

Nexus is a bad site that doesn't deserve support. Took over mod logistics ecosystem by acquisition, seeks to centralise control over as much of the mod scene as they can, and now holds mods hostage behind registration and upsells and other attempts to extract money from users while trying to remove all control or choice from the same. Their attitude makes their mod manager totally untrustworthy, too, however well it might work. It's designed to let them, not you, decide what you can download or install, or even let them ban you from using mods at all. Creepy creepy creepy. No way to justify it.

Vayra

• Admiral
  • jangala delenda est
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2019, 08:09:42 PM »

sorry
Kadur Remnant: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=6649
Vayra's Sector: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16058
Vayra's Ship Pack: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16059

im gonna push jangala into the sun i swear to god im gonna do it

DaddyO

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2019, 08:54:21 AM »

Vortex looks good but I would prefer not to have to pay to use their product.  Plenty other options and though this looks really nice I am not for handing over all my mod installs to a 3rd party app for money.  Thanks for the help though.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2019, 07:48:21 PM »

Vortex looks good but I would prefer not to have to pay to use their product.  Plenty other options and though this looks really nice I am not for handing over all my mod installs to a 3rd party app for money.  Thanks for the help though.
Ummmm, what? You don't need to pay a dime to sign up for Nexus nor use the Vortex launcher
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Wispborne

• Captain
  • Discord: wispborne
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2020, 10:10:03 AM »

I have done some work on the Vortex extension for Starsector that allows it to read from mod_info.json.
Mods that are installed manually (not from NexusMods) will now display their version and author in Vortex, with this extension update.

Only newly installed mods will have the additional info displayed.

It is available from within the Extensions section of Vortex, named "Starsector Support" version 1.1.
Or you can see it here, but it still needs to be installed via Vortex: https://www.nexusmods.com/site/mods/179

Includes support for mod version and author(s) for mods installed from file, rather than from NexusMods.

This extension will read mod_info.json, stripping out comments that use the '#' sign, and extract the mod version and mod author(s) from the file, allowing Vortex to display this useful information, which is normally limited only to mods that are downloaded from NexusMods.

The displayed mod name will be unchanged (if downloaded from NexusMods) or the name of the mod's archive (if installed manually).
This is due to some mod authors releasing multiple iterations of a mod with
the same version, with the only difference being in the filename.
For example, "ModName-3.0.0-beta-1.zip" and "ModName-3.0.0-beta-2.zip" often both have a version of 3.0.0. Since the beta number is important information, it should not be replaced by the name in the mod_info.json file, which may simply be "Mod Name".

Also:
When submitting this to NexusMods, they mentioned that they are iteratively removing baked-in, official Vortex support of less-popular games in favor of user-managed extensions.
What this means is that, most likely, Starsector will not be supported out of the box by Vortex (nothing changes on the NexusMods site), but support can be easily added by using the in-app extension browser to find and enable a (the) Starsector extension.

The purpose is for them to spend less dev time verifying support for less-popular games, which also means less turnaround time between updating an extension and the changes going live.

tldr; The Starsector support in Vortex is going to switch to an user mod for Vortex, rather than having the NexusMods team seal of quality.
Mod: Persean Chronicles | Mod Manager: SMOL | Tool: VRAM Estimator | Tool: Forum+Discord Mod Database | If I'm inactive for 3 months, anyone can use any of my work for anything (except selling it or its derivatives).

Lilly112

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2020, 11:44:24 AM »

So.....has something happened? Nexus has zero Starsector mods on it...

Wispborne

• Captain
  • Discord: wispborne
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2020, 02:10:26 PM »

I don't see any change. There's a good subset of the forums mods on there at https://www.nexusmods.com/starsector
Mod: Persean Chronicles | Mod Manager: SMOL | Tool: VRAM Estimator | Tool: Forum+Discord Mod Database | If I'm inactive for 3 months, anyone can use any of my work for anything (except selling it or its derivatives).

Lilly112

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2020, 09:10:34 AM »

Ahh, yea. Just a stupid layout design. I have found them now.

Lemuria

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2022, 02:40:54 AM »

Maybe Starsector would be better off with its own community-maintained **open-source** package manager for managing mods. That way, the Starsector modding community remains self-sufficient and we won't have to rely on a third party.
Lemuria#0685 on the Unofficial Starsector Discord

Shaggygoblin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2023, 06:38:20 AM »

Maybe Starsector would be better off with its own community-maintained **open-source** package manager for managing mods. That way, the Starsector modding community remains self-sufficient and we won't have to rely on a third party.

Something like CKAN for Kerbal Space Program.  +1

Toxo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2023, 09:40:03 AM »

This is the way.
Nexus is dodgy as f***. Whoever is interested in the controversy around their anti-user practices, a quick google search will bring it up.
Avoid that site, and association with them, at all costs.

Ragatokk

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2024, 04:12:04 AM »

I kind of agree with the guys that don't like nexus, the censorship and people not being able to take their mods off the platform is very scummy.
They just yoink the rights to the mods that they have not helped develop at all.

At the same time I think the convenience is pretty decent, am paying for their increased downloads since installing modpacks for skyrim is too much to do manually.

It's also nice to be able to search for things, but I honestly think that part is rather lacking, think even the steam workshop is better when it comes to that.

ceem0

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2024, 09:23:28 AM »

Awesome work.  I understand the sketch nature of Nexus, and I get that a Steam release is problematic from their side of the business cut and the tech cruft on top, but any place where there's a central repository helps out.
Pages: 1 [2]