Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Command & Fleet Deployment Issues  (Read 4408 times)

sqrt(-1)

• Commander
    • View Profile
Command & Fleet Deployment Issues
« on: February 17, 2019, 09:31:59 PM »

Hello Alex.

You have created a fantastic game and delivered a great patch with 0.9.
As a former game dev, I am a bit jealous of your position.  ;)

Flagship & Deployment

I think it would be a great improvement to have the flagship selection moved into the deployment screen.
A huge issue I have noticed with new players on YouTube is that a fleet can be deployed without the flagship, leaving the player stranded with no clue what is going on.
Additionally, if no ships are selected accidentally, an extremely confusing situation is created, particularly to those who are not aware of the in-battle deployment button, which is overlooked easily.

Suggestion:

• Remove the option to transfer command from the battle engagement decision menu.
  • In the deployment menu: Add text line "Left click to toggle ship deployment. Right click to select flagship."
  • The flagship should always be deployed.

This also fixes the issue of an non-focused camera when no flagship is deployed, which has confused many new players.

Flagship Destruction Situation

I myself and many many new players on YouTube are not aware that you can transfer command onto another ship.
After the destruction of the flagship, I suggest to add a red blinking text (like the retreat notification) "Flagship destroyed! Rescue shuttle ready for command transfer."

It would be fantastic to have the rescue shuttle appear cloaked/phased after the destruction of the flagship, which would also be a vast improvement over the cumbersome video feed mechanic, because the cloaked/phased rescue shuttle could be piloted directly.

Thanks!

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Re: Command & Fleet Deployment Issues
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 10:25:32 PM »

Great suggestions!  Especially that last one; most new players probably aren't aware that they can transfer via the shuttle at any time... or that transferring to a ship that already has a Captain displaces them for the remainder of the battle.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

alphald

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 01:37:04 AM »

Good suggestion

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 03:02:25 AM »

I agree with the notion that the flagship selection should be moved to the deployment screen. Not only is "change for this deployment" cumbersome, but I also sometimes forget to do it which forces me to deploy a ship and then transfer to it when starting the battle. Not a big deal but an annoyance indeed.

I disagree. That would limit the ability of starting a battle with only the AI flying.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 03:04:09 AM by Cyan Leader »

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 04:47:20 AM »

To be honest the video feed mechanic is one of the weaker aspects of the game. I've lost count of the number of times when switching between screens I lost video feed of the ship I was on before.

Mr. Nobody

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 05:45:04 AM »

Flagship Destruction Situation

I myself and many many new players on YouTube are not aware that you can transfer command onto another ship.
After the destruction of the flagship, I suggest to add a red blinking text (like the retreat notification) "Flagship destroyed! Rescue shuttle ready for command transfer."
Thanks!

Only if you make it a giant, full screen, siren blaring alert. Otherwise it will go unnoticed. This way it will go unnoticed only most of the time
On the left half of the Bell curve

sqrt(-1)

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 08:13:29 AM »

I disagree. That would limit the ability of starting a battle with only the AI flying.

The autopilot can still simply be activated, so no problem. Does more than 1% play without piloting the ship?

Only if you make it a giant, full screen, siren blaring alert. Otherwise it will go unnoticed. This way it will go unnoticed only most of the time

If you could pilot the rescue shuttle, it would be absolutely clear. But even some message only is better than nothing, as it is now, which is evidently greatly confusing new players.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 08:17:31 AM by sqrt(-1) »

Recklessimpulse

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 01:08:25 PM »

I think the issue is that it would have to be pretty in your face, since streamers have to divide their attention quite a bit and thus miss even obvious things, so I don't know it's not a bad idea but make it to garish and it might detract from everyone else's enjoyment of the game.

Mr. Nobody

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 02:10:29 PM »

I think the issue is that it would have to be pretty in your face, since streamers have to divide their attention quite a bit and thus miss even obvious things, so I don't know it's not a bad idea but make it to garish and it might detract from everyone else's enjoyment of the game.
Streamers, youtubers, average gamers of today, reviewers... You're better off playing the game yourself than relying on anyone else, you'll have more fun and play more competently than they ever will. Unless you manage to have sub-60 IQ but at that point i'd start to wonder how did a turkey manage to get hold of a computer in the first place.
On the left half of the Bell curve

Recklessimpulse

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 09:39:20 PM »

I do, But the OP did mention them as a point of demonstration of how new players act towards the game and I pointed out how that their experience is non standard. 

sqrt(-1)

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2019, 06:44:57 PM »

The command situation after the destruction of the flagship is simply lacks any visual feedback. Players only learn about the  possibility to transfer commands by chance. How YouTubers might play differently, is completely irrelevant.

The suggested solution to spawn the cloaked/phased command shuttle after the destruction would solve several problem, as explained.

The poor current implementation of the flagship selection/deployment is a hassle even for experienced players.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2019, 06:57:37 PM »

Just wanted to say that I like the idea of right-click to pick your flagship during deployment. Took a quick look and it's a bit involved to do - that is, there's a good chance I'd introduce a bug if I just did it quickly, so I don't think it'd be a good idea to add in right now - but I'll definitely keep this suggestion in mind.

Players only learn about the  possibility to transfer commands by chance.

(It's in the fleet command tutorial, btw. Which, yeah, you can't expect players to do tutorials etc etc. But, just saying :))

Welcome to the forum, btw!

The2nd

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2019, 01:29:17 AM »

Since I don't want to make an extra thread and this topic is related I'm asking here:

I don't think I have ever seen this information ingame and since it's a rare situation I never really bothered to look it up. What about combat skills in an in battle transfer command situation? Do I retain my personal combat skills? Do they override officer skills if the piloted ship has an officer onboard? 

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2019, 01:48:15 AM »

Yes and yes.
The idea of changing the flagship during deployment screen is going to be neat, mainly because sometimes, changing flagship before battle (either in normal engagement or in pursuit, I don't remember) makes you stay in the chosen flagship and I typically only notice it at the start of a next battle, when I notice my flagship isn't my flagship and I have to transfer to it.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2019, 02:10:34 AM »

While changing player ship right in deployment would be nice, that's ultimately a small thing. Transferring command right after deployment does not add much overhead except for phase frigates or Hyperion (these are fast enough for even small delay to matter).

What really irks me is that we can't reassign officers (in combat/between combat rounds). So even if you have enough ships for 2 full deployments, you can't transfer officers to 2nd one and thus extra ships are useful only as player-piloting spares.
Pages: [1] 2