Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Allow carrier/phase preference to go to 0  (Read 1567 times)

Blothorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
Allow carrier/phase preference to go to 0
« on: February 11, 2019, 03:46:38 PM »

Presently, even at the minimum doctrine setting for carriers/phase ships they show up pretty frequently (at least one in almost every heavy patrol, in my experience), preventing a thematic player or mod faction from avoiding them entirely (at least as far as I know). I would like one of the following:
- Make the lowest setting truly 0--ships in the category will never spawn.
- Override the lowest setting so that it will not spawn ships from the category if none are prioritized.
- Make them custom tags (IIUC they presently refer to the PHASE shield type and CARRIER tag, which obviously have other effects) so that mod factions can put other ship types in them.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Allow carrier/phase preference to go to 0
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 05:09:44 PM »

I would love to put Phase Ships to zero if I do not have Doom available.  Gremlin is practically the civilian phase ship, and anything else that is not Doom is just a glorified bomber usable only by the player, who has better things to pilot.  Of course, that only matters if player joins a fight with one of his patrols.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 07:42:49 PM »

Gremlin is practically the civilian phase ship, and anything else that is not Doom is just a glorified bomber usable only by the player, who has better things to pilot.  Of course, that only matters if player joins a fight with one of his patrols.
Can you even transfer command to allies not from your personal fleet? I always assumed it was impossible, so I never tried...

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 12:10:54 AM »

TBH the bottom rung of carrier/phase preference should just be made to be zero. All-phase fleets are a thing of the past in the sector, phase-less fleets are not.
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 08:31:46 AM »

@ TaLaR:  What I meant is something like enemy expedition attacks one of your patrols in your system (with colonies), and you want to join the fight-in-progress.  It is like expanded battles except your ally is one of your patrols, not Hegemony's, Tri-Tachyon, Independent, or other faction.  If I want to use my patrol as disposable heroes (by letting them do as much dirty work as possible on their own) I do not want phase ships that flit about and do nothing before their CR completely burns out much faster than other ships.  And I would not want sub-par hulls that are clearly at a disadvantage in a fight if the player is involved.  I want simple bruisers that efficiently smash whatever is in their way.

Normally, I would not care what my patrols use since they auto-resolve fights, much like player can do in pursuit.  Player can use utility ships in pursuit and they easily destroy ships they would have trouble doing without dying in a manual fight.  However, there is the current fringe case where player joins a fight-in-progress.  In 0.9a, player can completely ignore manual fights, and should due to rep penalties.  Maybe it will be more common in 0.9.1 due to various changes.

EDIT:  Occasionally, I have looted what is left of my own patrols (who died defending my colonies from expeditions) for cheap ships and free weapons.  Controlling that loot via priority is handy.

As for phase fleets, I think HELMUT said having a pure phase fleet was not fun.  I had not tried it, but I can see why.  I do not bring phase ships unless it is Doom or something I will pilot often.  It is painful watching AI pilot any phase ship that is not Doom.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 08:34:26 AM by Megas »