Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Discord Games  (Read 4678 times)

Blightor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Discord Games
« on: February 11, 2019, 02:25:04 AM »

I wonder if Alex would consider a more "limited" release on the Discord Games section before anything like steam or whatever.

I mean, its not the *** of up/down votes and reviews, dev pressure and such.  Just a simple distribution platform with best in the business rates for dev profit sharing (90/10).

Plus, my friends would FINALLY see that I was playing Starsector on discord....

Actually, Alex can you implement that it shows in Discord that I'm playing it regardless, or is it possible for a Mod to do that?  Word of mouth ya know (or whatever we should call 'stream status' advertising these days).

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Discord Games
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 02:54:16 AM »

Alex will not release games on more platforms until he feels until Starsector is ready. Development cycle is long enough already, he doesn't need a label of yet another abandoned early access game. I personally hope for an eventual GoG release, though.

Blightor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 03:48:49 AM »

Still...  wouldn't mind discord integration.

You don't have to sell your game on discord for that.

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 03:59:44 AM »

It's not up to a dev whether their game appears on Discord, but up to Discord. If you want the game to be detected you should be asking them.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 09:19:48 AM »

With all the bad rap Discord is getting right now, I would avoid selling on there. Plus IIRC, the games are only yours until your nitro runs out. Then they are not.
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

SapphireSage

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 10:15:24 AM »

Also with Alex not wanting to release StarSector until its good and ready, a practice I agree with where possible, he also retweeted this post (which references off of this) on his twitter account which feels like leaning towards a dislike or at least wariness of subscription based models for games.

For having StarSector show up on Discord when playing though, I know there are options in discord's settings to link the StarSector.exe or any program to discord's game display to allow it to display when you run it but I forgot where it was.

Rambling about subscriptions/discord here:
Spoiler

Personally I would feel the same way, I prefer to own my games and generally try to get products off GOG where possible thanks to the fact that they come with minimal DRM and allow me to use the product as I wish. In fact recently, although I paid for the Obra Dinn on the humble bundle to support the author again I was able to use the GOG version I played to also give the recipient of the gift a working copy without a launcher/platform as well.

As far as I understand it, while a subscription and pay based model like Nitro means that developers can get the 90/10 split, that split isn't guaranteed by the model's existence and can be changed, but it is guaranteed that you're forced to pay a monthly fee to continue to be able to use the games that you had paid for, not to mention if anything happened to discord itself where you would still lose it all.

Really I dislike discord a lot, especially for its lack of professionalism. Its decent for a games forum, but its no wonder that the platform is abused in the way it is due to their design decisions lacking care about how its easily doable and potentially encouraged by the demographics it targets.
[close]

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 11:25:07 AM »

Discord uses "oh so funny" jokes / memes in their patchnotes, what do you expect? It's as if it's run by a bunch of teenagers. Complete lack of professionalism. Also it's a CPU hog. But just like when Skype was dominating, it's easier to use than TS, so the majority uses it. TS still remains superior in most aspects but what can you do? I hope Steam catches up and offers a worthwhile alternative.

Zelnik

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 03:04:04 PM »

the epic game store isn't a bad place, but I still prefer steam. I would play it smart and release on all three platforms, GOG steam and Epic

Beobachter

• Ensign
  • Balancing? What is that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 08:29:09 AM »

As others have mentioned already, Alex (thankfully) will not release the game on a wider platform until he feels the game is ready.

If you want to show that you are playing the game on Discord, you should be able to do so via the desktop client settings while the game is running.

As for the distribution platforms, we will probably see a Steam distribution due to the large user base giving the game the best launch visibility. I don't see Epic or Discord coming about with the recent negative publicity of both systems.

In the meanwhile, word of mouth will be the best method of giving the game more visibility.
Putting together a mod sometime in the distant future.

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 10:46:24 AM »

Every time someone asks about a game similar to SPAZ I direct them to this game.