Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cruisers in particular do not want to engage  (Read 1047 times)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Cruisers in particular do not want to engage
« on: February 10, 2019, 01:22:41 PM »

I have been noticing very strange things in tournament testing regarding cruisers: unless set to Reckless or in a clearly numerically superior situation, they will refuse to enter weapons range a significant portion of the time. This is even true against lone frigates and destroyers: the cruiser will not attempt to close the distance but will instead attempt to kite and harass the smaller enemy.

At first I thought this was a function of speed, but the same holds even with SO variants that clearly out-speed their opponents.

This is in very large contrast to destroyers, who when set to aggressive behave, well, aggressively. I think somehow the cruisers think they are smaller and weaker than destroyers.

I am having trouble reproducing this behavior in 1v1 no mods testing, but I'll try and come up with a demonstrative scenario.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Cruisers in particular do not want to engage
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 01:44:08 PM »

One thing to keep in mind is that ships not ordered to S&D (or full assault) will try to disengage from smaller enemies - to avoid getting distracted by non-worthwhile targets - and try to stay grouped up with other friendly ships. This behavior wouldn't change depending on personality, though, and wouldn't be specific to cruisers.

I can't actually think of anything specific to cruisers here, either, but without an example it's impossible to say. If you have a timestamp from the tournament, I'd love to take a look - it's not nearly the same as a reproducible example, but it could still be very helpful.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Cruisers in particular do not want to engage
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 07:22:26 PM »

Thats really interesting and good to know! I'll try to find a concrete example.