Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: [0.9a RC10] Station modules can be left "floating" after repair  (Read 1197 times)

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
[0.9a RC10] Station modules can be left "floating" after repair
« on: February 09, 2019, 11:06:36 PM »

Jangala's midline Star Fortress lost some modules in an autoresolve battle, underwent repairs, and ended up having armor modules without the corresponding gun modules having been replaced.

Screenshot
(I had a save, but deleted it by mistake)

Can modules be nested? If not, perhaps each sub-module in the variant could have a "requires module ID" tag, and if that module isn't present, don't spawn this one either.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9a RC10] Station modules can be left "floating" after repair
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 09:53:31 AM »

Hmm - it's possible for this to happen, though autoresolve takes some steps to avoid it, iirc, without resorting to building a module hierarchy, which is... troublesome for various reasons - I looked at that at some point; don't quite remember the specifics other than the end result being me backing away slowly.

Just added another check that should help reduce the occurrence of this kind of thing - inactive modules (like the armor plates) require more repairs before becoming reattached. E.G. a destroyed gunnery module would have to be at 25% hull to reappear, while armor modules would need to be at 75% hull.

Btw - there *is* something that effectively is a limited module hierarchy, but it only applies in combat. The way it works is if an inactive module's collision bounds overlap with the bounds of an active module, the inactive module will automatically become detached if the active module becomes detached. This prevents an inner module being destroyed but its armor plates still remaining attached to the station, sometimes to thin air. This is why the armor plate modules tend to have a "spike" in their collision bounds, pointing towards the module they're covering.