Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: General Feedback / Thoughts  (Read 13427 times)

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
Re: General Feedback / Thoughts
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2019, 03:34:20 AM »

Even better?

Use the GraphicsLib mod, it also disables the whiteout while replacing the effects with something *far* better looking and less blinding. Also other visual upgrades :)

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2019, 04:10:04 AM »

My thanks to you both! ;)

Vayra

• Admiral
  • jangala delenda est
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2019, 03:12:02 AM »

misc. suggestions about hullmods:

1) It would be awesome if Shielded Cargo Holds set some sort of tag and the current checks for it specifically checked for that tag instead. I just had a hullmod idea that would include Shielded Holds' effect but it looks like there's no way to do that -- I could just add Shielded Holds to the ship as well, of course, but that would be a bit cluttered and redundant.

2) I don't know exactly how hullmods are applied, but would it be possible for them to check existing hullmods on the ship's isApplicableToShip's when the player attempts to apply them? Right now, if you want to make a hullmod mutually exclusive with a vanilla hullmod, your only option is adding a check that removes one of them manually. :)
Kadur Remnant: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=6649
Vayra's Sector: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16058
Vayra's Ship Pack: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16059

im gonna push jangala into the sun i swear to god im gonna do it

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2019, 10:44:40 AM »

1) It would be awesome if Shielded Cargo Holds set some sort of tag and the current checks for it specifically checked for that tag instead. I just had a hullmod idea that would include Shielded Holds' effect but it looks like there's no way to do that -- I could just add Shielded Holds to the ship as well, of course, but that would be a bit cluttered and redundant.

Made a note!

2) I don't know exactly how hullmods are applied, but would it be possible for them to check existing hullmods on the ship's isApplicableToShip's when the player attempts to apply them? Right now, if you want to make a hullmod mutually exclusive with a vanilla hullmod, your only option is adding a check that removes one of them manually. :)

I'm not sure what you're asking, exactly. I mean, I sort of get it, but the game already does this (i.e. if you remove a "makeshift shield generator", it'll remove shield-related hullmods, if their isApplicableToShip() returns false when shields are no longer present).

So I think what you're asking for a more generic way to mark mods as mutually exclusive that doesn't require code in every hullmod's isApplicableToShip() method - basically some way to tell vanilla mods to say they're not applicable if <some other hullmod is installed>, without having to change vanilla code - but that's not what you're asking, so I feel like I'm making a lot of assumptions to get here from there.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2019, 03:58:07 AM »

Some more thoughts:

- I'd love a small quality of life thing for bordering-OCD people like me who constantly want to have their inventory sorted:
Supplies and fuel could be stack-able past 1000, so my inventory isn't a constant mess as supplies/fuel are in a continuous cycle of being used up and being looted. (Perhaps have two inventory slots that are fixed to only hold supplies and fuel?)
Or have some sort of auto-sort active, so that everything gets sorted automatically when you open your inventory.

- In my experience, plasma cannons often like to fire at ships that are already destroyed, possibly because they take a moment to fire and they might have started firing a fraction of a second before the target blows up. This wastes a lot of flux.

- Targeting an enemy ship can be quite the feat when there are many fighters hovering above it. Maybe make your own fighters non-select-able? You can't command them directly anyway, so there's nothing missed. Or otherwise prioritize selecting enemies over friendlies.

- An option to clean up intel messages?

- Sphinx and Orthrus, orbiting Typhon in the Samarra system, 'clip' each other when they're close to each other. I'm not sure if it's intended or if it even matters (since the planets could pretty well be up and below one another, the benefit of 2D), but just tossing it in here.
I do wonder what the earth quakes on those two moons are like. :P

SapphireSage

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2019, 04:55:01 AM »

- I'd love a small quality of life thing for bordering-OCD people like me who constantly want to have their inventory sorted:
Supplies and fuel could be stack-able past 1000, so my inventory isn't a constant mess as supplies/fuel are in a continuous cycle of being used up and being looted. (Perhaps have two inventory slots that are fixed to only hold supplies and fuel?)
Or have some sort of auto-sort active, so that everything gets sorted automatically when you open your inventory.

I believe the 1000 item limit is removed in 0.9.1 so everything will be stacked in the same square. In the meantime, a workaround I've been using for awhile is:
1. go to a store, or storage that will take you over 1000 of an item
2. put all of the item in question into the store/storage then click (not ctrl or shift + click) and bring back the item while it has more than 1000.

This will allow that square of commodities to carry more than 1000 and avoid supplies/fuel, for example, to take up more then one square. That item will keep that property even through save/loads and going under/over the 1000 limit as long as you do not lose the commodity(By running out or accidentally clicking it to sell/eject). It'll also work for crew and marines too.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2019, 08:02:11 AM »

Thanks for the heads-up, SapphireSage. :)

Vayra

• Admiral
  • jangala delenda est
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2019, 05:28:47 PM »

So I think what you're asking for a more generic way to mark mods as mutually exclusive that doesn't require code in every hullmod's isApplicableToShip() method - basically some way to tell vanilla mods to say they're not applicable if <some other hullmod is installed>, without having to change vanilla code - but that's not what you're asking, so I feel like I'm making a lot of assumptions to get here from there.

This is exactly what I was trying to ask for, I'm just illiterate didn't think all the way through how it would work. :-X
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 05:33:44 PM by Vayra »
Kadur Remnant: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=6649
Vayra's Sector: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16058
Vayra's Ship Pack: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16059

im gonna push jangala into the sun i swear to god im gonna do it

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2019, 06:07:16 PM »

I posted something on mod-to-mod hullmod blocking a while back. Something seems questionable about it to me now, but here it is:

I think the best way to do it would be a cascading blacklist for each hullmod. By which I mean a list that blocks all the hullmods you put on it AND blocks all the hullmods that block those hullmods.

An optional whitelist would allow you to stop specific hullmods from being auto-blocked. (Even one you wrote on the blacklist if for some odd reason you needed it both ways.)

You wouldn't have to know all the possible conflicts with a cascading blacklist like I suggested. If both hullmods blacklisted the same vanilla hullmod then they would automatically blacklist each other at runtime.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2019, 01:34:41 PM »

Has anyone else noticed that Plasma Cannons fire at phased ships, even though none of the other weapons (that I've seen) do?
It's quite a waste of flux.
I've looked inside weapon_data.csv, but I have no idea what would be causing this. Not sure if bug.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2019, 01:43:07 PM »

I don't know of a single non-missile weapons that doesn't fire at phase ships. And to be fair, the AI will happily try to shoot down talons with large weapons whenever there is the opportunity to do so.

Which I am personally not a fan of.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2019, 01:53:14 PM »

Shooting fighters with plasma cannon would be a 100% correct move (specifically targeting them while fighters are bunched up during approach). But AI doesn't actually do it.

As for firing at phased ships - AI will use any weapons available, just won't go significantly flux negative for it. Which is correct behavior, more or less.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2019, 08:25:51 AM »

To be clear: I mean they fire at ships when they're actually phased (e.g. you can't hit them).
Other weapons just hold their fire until the target unphases. Plasma cannons just keep firing regardless.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2019, 01:17:46 PM »

To be clear: I mean they fire at ships when they're actually phased (e.g. you can't hit them).
Other weapons just hold their fire until the target unphases. Plasma cannons just keep firing regardless.

Other weapons also take pot shots. Does plasma fire continuously?

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2019, 03:38:45 PM »

Other weapons also take pot shots. Does plasma fire continuously?
Yeah, you're right. I paid more attention to it today and I saw other guns firing at phased ships as well.
But as a few examples, a Tachyon Lance and Autopulse Laser did not. They just waited for the target to unphase.
So I'm confused why one weapon keeps on firing and another plays it smart.
In my experience so far, the Plasma Cannon keeps firing continuously, yes. Since it's such a flux guzzler, I wish it wouldn't do that.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5