Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Ship explosions should destroy/disable nearby missiles and torpedoes  (Read 1283 times)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile

For two reasons:
1) The white out explosions make it hard or impossible to see missiles near it, giving them a few seconds were they can sneak up on you undetected. I was hurt that way a few times now, and it felt a bit unfair.

2) I think it would make sense, look cool and sell the power of the blast better. A giant explosion should have an impact on its environment, and that missiles just pass trough it takes away from the wow-effect.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile

This remind me slightly of MoOII... where if you are up against an enemy using nasty missiles, often the best defense is to send forward a frigate and self destruct it on top of the pile of missiles.

But yes, this would be a nice little feature.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile

AI is unaffected (i.e., not blinded) by explosions.  It would be nice if player is not handicapped for the sake of special effects.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara

It's already very easy to destroy missiles; having ships blow up and remove my swarm of limited harpoons just like that, I don't like it.
I love firing loads of harpoons at a group of enemies, timing it, expecting that my main target blows up with several harpoons due to it (near)overloading and see the other harpoons target the nearest ship instead.

As for the white-out, I think that should disappear entirely. Constant screen flashes are simply annoying (and in my case it actually hurts my eyes when playing in the evening).
Thankfully someone pointed out to me that they can be disabled in the config.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile

As for the white-out, I think that should disappear entirely. Constant screen flashes are simply annoying (and in my case it actually hurts my eyes when playing in the evening).
Maybe limit white-out to battlestation explosions.  The white-out is a bit overdone with every ship explosion.

As for the white-out setting, it should be in-game like map size instead of a settings file buried deep under multiple folders (if that settings file is that json file).

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile

As for the white-out setting, it should be in-game like map size instead of a settings file buried deep under multiple folders (if that settings file is that json file).

Seriously, how is this not a thing yet? It's pretty much the most common question around here ''Hey guys I'm new to the game, how can i disable this god awful flash that happens every 15 seconds in combat?''. If it's so easy as an on/off feature, why not just put it in options... It's not like we have a full page of options to choose from and this would then create additional clutter, the options tab is pretty barren honestly.

Imagine if all games didn't have motion blur, depth of field and similar useless options available but instead you had to navigate the files and manually adjust everything. Bonkers man.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

(I don't feel like the explosions without whiteout are up to par for larger ships. They were never meant for that. Because of this, disabling whiteout is more in the "minor hack" than "properly supported feature" territory and doesn't belong in gameplay settings. Basically, things in the settings file signal to the player "do this at your own risk" rather than "expect this to work and look good", if that makes sense.)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 08:16:52 AM by Alex »