Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Making the Conquest great  (Read 20302 times)

Zelnik

• Commander
    • View Profile
Making the Conquest great
« on: February 04, 2019, 09:09:05 AM »

Hey, so I love the conquest, what are your best setups that allow it to battle in a prolonged matter?

I have regular issues with things like the Onslaught and Conquest basically exploding from it's own flux generhaation. I would expect battlecruisers and battleships to have a large flux capacity instead of having the flux capacity of an ant.

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Making the Conquest great
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 09:56:44 AM »

If you want to attempt going toe to toe with capitals you need to put everything on the shield. So Hardened Shield, Stabilized, etc... And of course officer skills. Personally I think no matter how to try it, the Conquest is just not cutting it. You become OP starved despite the hullmod if you want to go full firepower. It has the flux dissipation for it, but not the OP.

I usually put Auxiliary Thrusters, max out flux capacitors and dissipation, and either I go two Mjolnirs on one side and full flak on the other (one of the default loadouts does this), or I use the Autocannon + HAG on both sides + flak in medium mounts. On small mounts usually it's Burst laser. You can fire forever without worrying about flux, if nothing's hitting you that is. Because with that 1.4 shield ratio, it's a joke.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 10:45:12 AM »

Mjolnirs on 1 side, Gauss or more Mjolnirs on the other. Dual flak + HAC/Heavy Needler/HVD per side. Pulse lasers in med energy, IR pulse in small energy.
Max vents, ITU, Hard Shields, RFC, IPDAI. Optional Accelerated shield/Advanced Gyros.

Gauss side is insurance that allows you to slowly snipe any Capital (need to vent between incoming TL bursts vs Paragon/Radiant), Mjolnirs for everything else (including straight brawling most Capitals).

Just don't forget to mini-vent at every single opportunity. Accumulating ton of flux is not how you want to fight, that's horribly inefficient.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 01:29:44 PM by TaLaR »

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 11:28:51 AM »

There's a few threads up with Conquest builds, but if you're aiming for battle stability, and less 'putting all guns on just one side for maximum flux usage and massive burst damage' builds, this is what i use: https://imgur.com/flj4K1q

Point is to vent as often as you can, even mid-combat since it's so fast (though watch out for Reapers). Oh, and you can use the Squalls 'default' on the front mounts instead of modifying the ship like i do via modding, but they end up being very fidgety actually hitting stuff, so i took that liberty. Alternatively you can just replace the maulers for more Needlers and switch the Squalls for normal Hammer Barrages on the front.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 12:53:31 PM »

For my pirate-hunter symmetrical Conquest...

Large ballistics have two Mark IX and two HAG, one of each on each side.
Large missiles are two Locusts.
All four medium ballistics are dual flak.
All eight small energies are burst PD.
Medium energy and missile mounts are empty.

Hullmods are Hardened Shields, Expanded Missile Racks, Integrated Targeting Unit, and Resistant Flux Conduits.  (Also had Efficiency Overhaul.)

Vents were 55.  No capacitors.

Reasonably flux efficient, and works nicely against pirates and pathers when they become the only relevant threat by endgame (since major factions are auto-resolved by colony defenses).

From a Faster Time

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 01:52:43 AM »

Making the Conquest great

Zelnik

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 05:23:55 AM »

point taken dadposter.

From a Faster Time

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 06:21:00 AM »

point taken dadposter.
Really the Conquest is one of the most "versatile" ships as it has a lot of possible loadouts that gear for different approaches(though not being the strongest in most of them)
Considering the natural strengths and weaknesses of the Conquest though, the Gauss cannons makes a natural fitting.
Spoiler
[close]

I have regular issues with things like the Onslaught and Conquest basically exploding from it's own flux generation.
As for this, you can't put the most flux intensive weapons on all the slots and use shields and hope you wont overload yourself. Either give up shield usages, strategically of course, or utilize more flux efficient weaponry. Generally speaking more slots means you can use less powerful more flux efficient options.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 06:33:56 AM by From a Faster Time »

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 08:43:30 AM »

The bottom line is this: Whatever you want to do with the Conquest, the Onslaught will do better. Its only drawback is the pathetic flux dissipation, but you can vent under fire thanks to the armour, so it essentially has no drawback. Burn Drive allows you to get anywhere you want very easily.

Until it gets a buff, there's no reason to use it at all. And this is even worse if you use mods, since there are plenty of very useful ships, but balanced, that can fill that role if you want to play that way.

Snrasha

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 09:45:05 AM »

Spoiler
[close]
The conquest is probably my favorite ship. Same with many others mods. (And probably the best easy/strong capital)

He is fast, not very expensive, work well with many D-mods.

This layout is asymetrical for player-hands and AI-hands, the main thing here, this is the PD on a side and two HAG on the other side.
For the medium kinetic, you see for that. This template layout is the best i have found for the conquest, for all cases.
These 4 medium missiles  are probably best for what a conquest can do: Put a good pressure on the ennemi.

Do not forget, this is a Harass-ship, not a frontship like the onslaught, but he is better than a Onslaught on many points. This is the best capital for player. (Because speed is the best)

Else:
Conquest is a battleship, he is not good for beat capital, but for destroy a tons of cruiser, he beat every others ships. (Paragon is a bit too slow for pursuit cruiser.)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 09:47:24 AM by Snrasha »
I am pretty bad on english. So, sorry in advance.

Gladiator Society
Add battle options on Com Relay/ Framework for modders for add their own bounty.

Sanguinary Autonomist Defectors A fan-mod of Shadowyard.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2019, 10:12:31 AM »

I am a firm believer that the front medium energies should be heavy blasters. It gives the ship a lot more close range punch, and also makes it a credible threat to cruisers/destroyers from the front. It also lets you use flak in the medium ballistics but retain high firepower.

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 10:44:51 AM »

But you should never be close range with it. In fact you should never even have to deploy your shield to make the best possible use of it. Have an Onslaught in your fleet with a reckless or aggressive officer as well as the armour skills to do the tanking.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2019, 11:05:30 AM »

The only reason to be close with Conquest is to overload shields with the likes of Storm Needlers.  If I want something like Heavy Blaster, Mjolnirs are better.  Also, Conquest does not have lots of OP to spare.  Often, I need to leave mounts empty to get everything I want, especially with campaign mods.

I would like to squeeze in Ion Beam in medium mount, but unless I use less powerful heavy ballistics, the flux use is too much.  Even so, there are other competing options like Expanded Missile Racks to make Locusts last for the whole fight.

I guess getting close is a good idea if the heavies have Devastators.

From a Faster Time

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2019, 11:17:58 AM »

But you should never be close range with it. In fact you should never even have to deploy your shield to make the best possible use of it.
Indeed, it has bad shields, but good flux dissipation. Low armor, but good ability to disengage and maintain range. Everything about the ship suggests to use long range Gauss to gain an advantage and move in(if you want to/need to) only once you have gained an advantage at a range.
Here is my special snowflake loadout that I'm having fun with right now. Obviously this is not for AI to pilot.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2019, 11:44:05 AM »

The only reason to be close with Conquest is to overload shields with the likes of Storm Needlers.  If I want something like Heavy Blaster, Mjolnirs are better.  Also, Conquest does not have lots of OP to spare.  Often, I need to leave mounts empty to get everything I want, especially with campaign mods.

I would like to squeeze in Ion Beam in medium mount, but unless I use less powerful heavy ballistics, the flux use is too much.  Even so, there are other competing options like Expanded Missile Racks to make Locusts last for the whole fight.

I guess getting close is a good idea if the heavies have Devastators.

The Conquest should absolutely get close... to cruisers and destroyers. For capitals it wants to maintain range. Luckily, Heavy blasters are medium energy, leaving the broadside completely free to do whatever you wish! Dual Gauss + Heavy blasters is a great combo - bombard at range, and anyone who gets close eats a heavy blaster.

Heavy blasters removes the vulnerability of the front of the ship (and turns it into actually a decent amount of firepower - a Conquest can run 2 heavy blasters at full rate. Thats 1000dps energy damage). Pesky frigates no longer have a 'free' place to hide, and you can directly chase cruisers and destroyers without having to swing from side to side: better small ship hunting.

Heavy blasters gives each broadside 500 extra energy damage with good armor penetration, leaving the medium ballistics free for flak. This makes the conquest legitimately good against strike craft all of a sudden.

A 'broadside' consisting of 1 Mjolnir, 1 Gauss Cannon, and 1 Heavy Blaster gives a lot of options, for example (this is a very good AI ship):

Option: standoff: you can bombard from extreme range, closing from 1200*1.6 to 900*1.6 once the enemy is distracted or has high flux (dealing with caps)

Option: hey, you aren't a capital! Charge into 600*1.6 range and utterly crush the enemy.

So.. I agree with you: Mjolnirs are better than Heavy Blasters. However, the mount placement of the medium energy and the fact that they do not take up a precious large ballistic mount makes them a very very good pick for a Conquest.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4