Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: problem help about crash when saving  (Read 1892 times)

voltaxic_rift

• Ensign
    • View Profile
problem help about crash when saving
« on: February 02, 2019, 09:37:25 AM »

There would show a save progress bar when you choose to save, like this. and I might  crash before the save progress bar show.

I have just knowed to check log data and find nothing.Now I remembered that there are other data(hs_err_pidxxxx) to write other problem, then I get this.

It seems like that key of problem is nvoglv64.DLL+0xc857f4, and it's the data of NVIDA's driver
my graphics  card is GTX750_1GB and driver version is 416.34, it's weak now but I think it could have carried Starsector.  so it's really correct that graphics  card's driver cause the crash?

And do someone   have the same problem or  have similar graphics  card with no problem?  the extra new problem is"what version's  driver should I choose?newest or older?"
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 10:25:38 AM by voltaxic_rift »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: problem help about crash when saving
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 09:54:48 AM »

Could you try setting "processMessagesWhileSavingOrLoading" in data/config/settings.json to false? That may help.

It does look like a crash in the graphics driver, yes,. but whether it would go away with a different version of the driver is not guaranteed. How often does the crash happen, btw?

voltaxic_rift

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 10:18:08 AM »

Could you try setting "processMessagesWhileSavingOrLoading" in data/config/settings.json to false? That may help.

It does look like a crash in the graphics driver, yes,. but whether it would go away with a different version of the driver is not guaranteed. How often does the crash happen, btw?

it's subtle.
it almost still crash in somewhere and hardly to crash in somewhere.  maybe something cause the crash?
If I save in A then go to B to save again to crash,  the solution is load to A and move to a other place  C to save , then go to B to save. this way is not always stable  but could sucess finally

BTW, could you answer it about what is going on when  Starsector start to save before the progress bar show?

and this is the  log data, maybe you could find something from it.
https://mega.nz/#!OnoTBYgb!xMKn_4PqyJNZSaU-h07MunDN6n0-qwVI47TJmx6csxo
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 10:26:32 AM by voltaxic_rift »

voltaxic_rift

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 08:26:42 PM »

I think I might have solved this problem.

I reinstall driver to 372.90 and never cause crash,   although there have less chance to cause a new problem------------------ the screen would stop  when save before progress bar show and sound is still going on.I restart game and find this save is successful.

BTW, I try to disable sound to reduce cost to avoid crash but nothing changed . So I think it's more possible that the main problem is on the graphics card's version

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 11:05:22 AM »

Did you try the changing the processMessagesWhileSavingOrLoading setting?

voltaxic_rift

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 11:46:09 PM »

Did you try the changing the processMessagesWhileSavingOrLoading setting?

I changed it and feel it reduce chance to crash.
But only reinstall  driver is the  way to stop crash again

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2019, 09:23:05 AM »

Alright, thank you for the info! Glad you've got it at least sort of working.