Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 0.51a RC3 Thumper: Medium+Assault designed to kill missiles?!?!?  (Read 3035 times)

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile

"Shreds enemy missiles and fighters...." is the flavour text.

A medium mount assault weapon is never going to be able to even target missiles, nevermind shred them!

Either the flavour text needs revising, or this weapon should be set as PD.

rada660

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: 0.51a RC3 Thumper: Medium+Assault designed to kill missiles?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 07:22:34 PM »

tried the thumper, and they do really shred missile, and i found they lack potential vs ship that is bigger than a destroyer, an assault chaingun was found more effective than the thumper vs ships, so yea i got deceived by the overall DPS D:

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 08:30:19 PM »

This is probably as intended? It IS a frag weapon. Making it assault was probably an attempt to balance it a little.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 08:37:39 PM »

Its a frag weapon; they do 100% hull damage, and 25% each to armor* and shields. Missiles don't get an armor rating, so it does full damage all the time to them, and fighters often have very thin armor which can be punched through in a few shots. While their firepower sucks against any shielded ship or ship with decent armor, the thumper will bore right through the target's hull once it is exposed.

*for armor, due to the way it is calculated, that's a maximum

Cryten

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 05:38:12 AM »

I guess the question is this (since I dont use the thumper), being a assualt weapon does it even target missiles at all? Normally they dont but they can sometimes incidentally kill missiles while firing on other targets. Of course this is about autofire since you can overcome any targetting rules with manual fire.

I agree that it could be misleading since its medium as well so you cant use the hull mod to make small ballistic target missiles.

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 08:41:50 AM »

it must be manually targeted. It doesn't auto-target like a proper PD. Maybe it should?