Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A couple of Skill Suggestions  (Read 3829 times)

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: A couple of Skill Suggestions
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2019, 02:24:59 PM »

Helm 3 is a bit of a tricky one in my book.

On the one hand, the current state (1% 0-flux boost) is practically nothing in terms of what you can actually do with it. On the other, the 0-flux boost is absolutely vital for capitals (doubles speed in more cases than not) but only so-so for already fast/small ships. +25 speed is only going to make the pain of losing the bonus that much harder for capitals. In fact, it almost makes it vital for them to have such a huge boost in speed. Meanwhile, on something like a Tempest, an additional 25 isn't that big of a deal.

So, you have this weird scaling relationship with the 0-flux boost as you get into the bigger/slower ships. Same could be said for the 10% boost in top speed at level 2: it favors the already fast and does practically nothing for the slow behemoths.

My suggestion: Helm 2 gives a 10% boost to top speed and a +25 boost to 0-flux bonus. Seems a bit powerful but Helm 3 is what would need tweaking.

Helm 3 is changed to have a 1/2/3/5% threshold on the 0-flux boost depending on ship size. This gives the capitals a bit of leeway where they can shoot/take a hit or two on shields but the faster ships lose the boost earlier. Where it gets into trouble is carriers and kiting. I think the Engage command should simply generate enough flux to hit the threshold (as it is now) and engagement command scales to for the bigger ships.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 02:26:53 PM by FooF »

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2019, 02:33:22 PM »

I think that the usefulness of 0 flux speed is only used in combat to engage or retreat and that advantage is just as valuable the same irrespective of the starting speed. Of course for the usefulness of actually moving between combat the +50 speed is more vital for slower ships.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2019, 04:08:17 AM »

It would be nice if Salvaging 2 give something a little extra on top of more rare loot like 1 (survey ability) and 3 (+10% common loot).

Re: Helmsmanship 3 / zero-flux
At 1%, the only thing Helmsmanship 3 does is let player move between fights with shield up.  So lame for a skill point.  I can travel between fights without shields because nothing is shooting at my ship!  When combat starts, shields are raised, then flux gets put on the shield very shortly after, from firing weapons/launching fighters or taking hits on shield, removing the speed bonus.  In effect, Helmsmanship 3 does nothing.

I might have read elsewhere that 1% was too low and did not work for some ships with bad flux stats, and 5% allowed Conquests with some loadouts to fight at full power without losing speed.
Pages: 1 [2]