Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 62

Author Topic: Starsector 0.9.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 351515 times)

Rokiyo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.9.1a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #795 on: June 28, 2019, 06:43:51 PM »

Now THAT I have definitely experienced! I often see enemy cruisers using my dominators as cover against my onslaught.

It's the good kind of frustrating, the kind that teaches me to be a better player - Firstly because I'm learning how to play by watching them, and secondly because it's forcing me to think about how to design my fleets to counter that.

Dostya

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: July 01, 2019, 07:59:13 PM »

Hmm - it's actually based on the current fleet size! So that's a bit odd, my best guess is maybe the fight happened right before you saw the remnant from it?

Thank you, I'd appreciate it!

I've been keeping my eyes sharp for fleets mismatched with size over the last few days of play. It's as you say and only happens when the fleet has recently been in combat. The radar blip does change after I move out of contact and back into it. The phenomenon was most apparent during large scale NPC fleet to fleet combat, most easily findable during system raids on player colonies.

So known behavior/false alarm. My apologies.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #797 on: July 09, 2019, 05:16:36 AM »

Minor oversight: Apogee's FP wasn't changed when its value was recalculated, so it still has 16 FP (more than Eagle and Dominator, and only one point less than Aurora, all of which have considerably higher deployment costs).

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: July 09, 2019, 08:25:41 AM »

Minor oversight: Apogee's FP wasn't changed when its value was recalculated, so it still has 16 FP (more than Eagle and Dominator, and only one point less than Aurora, all of which have considerably higher deployment costs).

Thank you! Made a note.

MindsEye

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: July 14, 2019, 02:54:07 PM »

I cant remember if alex added a faction dependent economy? like each faction can only rebuild ships and invasion fleets if they have the money? Or does everything just spawn?

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: July 16, 2019, 08:34:26 AM »

Everything "just" spawns, depending on what Blueprints the Faction has, whether it has Nanoforges, and a bunch of other factors.  But no, the Factions don't worry about money right now.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: July 16, 2019, 08:42:04 AM »

The fleets that spawn factor in the economic state of the colony from which they spawn, as far as supply and demand being met. For example, if there's a shortage in the "Ship Hulls & Weapons" commodity, the fleets will be smaller. If a colony is less stable (say, due to a lack of supplies or food), the fleets will also be smaller. So, yes, there is an economy there, and it can be affected by the player.

MindsEye

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: July 16, 2019, 02:03:11 PM »

Thats really good. Imo thats a must for a game like this. So frustrating to wipe out a fleet and come back 5 min later to the same fleet.

XazoTak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: July 22, 2019, 03:07:32 AM »

My impression has been that regular fighters don't have much of a place in the player's arsenal.
Enemies seem to have less carriers now so just swarmer/PD is enough to keep all but the largest swarms at bay, and if you've got one or two officers maxed in carrier skills, 3-slot carriers using only bombers (one longbow, two cobra seems to work best) are ridiculously lethal against anything but high-tech ships. If it's fat enough, it dies.
In fact, in general, sabot missiles just seem to be extremely powerful if you've got a huge supply of them, either the medium launcher with expanded racks or a longbow wing.
The medium sabot launcher, and longbow wings are both fairly rare at least, but there just seems to be no enemy defence against either with fighters being so rare. PD fighters are really needed to deal with those missiles or bombers, since sabot needs very long range PD to survive. And at the very least, fighters are going to make it harder to bully an overloaded ship.

Three good ways I can think of to bring more regular fighters into the game to stop uncontested sabot/longbow dominance is:
* Have more warships with hangars, ships decent at direct combat with less hangars than an equivalent carrier would have. Only such ships I can think of are Gemini and Prometheus Mk. II, and both are almost never seen in combat.
* Buff converted hangar; it just has way too many downsides for something that already costs a lot of OP, and is pointless on anything but destroyers because the cost scales with the size of the ship even though the benefit doesn't.
* Buff mining laser: Plenty of ships already have mining drones screening for them, mining laser is so weak though that it's pretty much pointless.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: July 26, 2019, 01:38:24 PM »

The thing about sabots is that take a place of some other missile that could potentially one-shot the ship you just overloaded.
Yeah, there's little point in just wasting time like that, since it's usually at a premium anyway, and you could be doing profitable things with it even if there isn't any time pressure.
The thing is, "what I want to do" and "earning money" aren't always the same, especially when I don't care about the money. Let's hope skill rework doesn't split the content update in two, I'd like to see some endgame challenge as soon as possible.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: July 26, 2019, 01:57:03 PM »

The thing about sabots is that take a place of some other missile that could potentially one-shot the ship you just overloaded.
Missiles are usually not that powerful to one-shot ships that get overloaded.  Also, sabot is still a good hull smasher, or even armor smasher if target is flimsy enough.  Sabot is nearly a reliable general-purpose missile like Locusts, at least when player uses it.  (Although sabots needs to be spammed quickly, while Locusts are just simply good almost anytime.)  I much rather see a large Sabot than underwhelming Squalls.

As for update, I would not mind a quick update just to test drive the new skill system alone.  Of course, I bet story points are highly embedded with skills much like CR is for everything, and Alex probably needs more content to embed story points with.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: July 26, 2019, 10:47:22 PM »

I much rather see a large Sabot than underwhelming Squalls.

That would be beyond OP... The smaller ones are bad enough, some things just aren't meant to be scaled up.

And the Squall is fine, it fills a different role though its AI could use some work. I should make a suggestion post about this sometime.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: July 27, 2019, 05:21:08 AM »

That would be beyond OP... The smaller ones are bad enough, some things just aren't meant to be scaled up.
Sabots are fine.  They are strong, but have low ammo, and only the player can use them to full effect.  Sabots are one of the better missiles a playership can use.  I do not think a large one would be OP at all unless it dumped several per salvo.  Even then, if the enemy is a capital, it probably armor tank it.  Small ships may die, but Locusts already do that.

Squall is not fine.  It is easily dodged and it runs out of ammo too quickly.  I tried it in its likely role of suppression and it fails miserably.  I guess Squall's best role is stalling (like we need more delay-of-game mechanics), but it does not have enough ammo to do that.  Besides, I want large missiles to be heavyweights.  Suppression is what I would expect lighter mounts to do while big guns do big gun things like making things disappear quickly.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: July 27, 2019, 09:37:52 AM »

The EMP on sabots is actually rather significant. I do not know if the combat skills further boost its disabling power (the +damage to engines and weapons adds up to +100%, but again not sure how much counts), but a pair of them will disable most of the guns on the impacted area.

As an example, in my current game I have a mildly D mod Dominator that I use the 2x Annihilator 1x Sabot pod (and guns) to happily kill Onslaughts. The 'happily' is only because 2 Sabots will either knock the flux up, or disable the entire front of the ship and let me shoot without getting shot back.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: July 27, 2019, 04:18:39 PM »

The biggest issue with Squalls is their AI not correcting inwards for angled launches, which renders them nearly useless on a few ships (most notably the Apogee and Conquest, both of which need to fire them sharply off-bore to a target for any benefit) and makes timing your few Squall salvoes extremely difficult. If the two-stage AI properly aimed the rockets, I think you'd find they're actually terrifying, especially en masse.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 62