Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 62

Author Topic: Starsector 0.9.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 351474 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.9.1a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #750 on: June 07, 2019, 03:49:38 PM »

Hmm, yeah, that's a good point.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: June 08, 2019, 01:55:46 AM »

I've also noticed the targeting preference for the spars on the midline stations. Although I don't nescessarily have a problem with that, it would be nice if the main module became the preference when it gets high on flux or otherwise vulnerable.

One thing I kinda miss from the previous release is purely cosmetic.
When a player colony has 'commerce' active, it gets two markets. One for commodities and one for ships.
I thought it was neat that the ship market would have in it ships that your faction had made, and had your faction prefix (if any).
It doesn't do this anymore though, all the ships are ISS due to being an independant market.
Not a priority at all, but it would be nice if commerce markets had some amount of 'locally built' ships in them.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: June 08, 2019, 06:11:08 AM »

One thing I kinda miss from the previous release is purely cosmetic.
When a player colony has 'commerce' active, it gets two markets. One for commodities and one for ships.
I thought it was neat that the ship market would have in it ships that your faction had made, and had your faction prefix (if any).
It doesn't do this anymore though, all the ships are ISS due to being an independant market.
Not a priority at all, but it would be nice if commerce markets had some amount of 'locally built' ships in them.
They still do, at least for selling ships you know!  I found Paragon (which I prioritized) in my size 7 Commerce colony, and Independents do not have Paragon in their known blueprint set.  Only Tri-Tachyon knows Paragon in 0.9.1a, at least until I raid its blueprints from Culann (or find one from salvage).

I cannot say for prefix since I always use ISS myself.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 06:13:47 AM by Megas »

Zhentar

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: June 08, 2019, 04:36:54 PM »

On a different note, I see that the reputation penalties for dealing with punitive expeditions have drastically reduced and the frequency is still low, but still it should be remembered that getting reputation is painfully slow and grindy in this game. Basically everything costs reputation, and the only way to get it back is to take on easy-peasy missions that take so long that it only feels worthwhile if you can get at least three going to the same place. I don't have an objection to how reputation loss works currently (except that perfect stealth takedowns are impossible), but reputation gain is a total pain.
I really want to play as Space Mafia, but dull missions are the only option for gaining a lot of reputation to keep up with various losses. Can't I use my drug money to fund some government programme, or make some corrupt authorities not investigate too deep into a few unimportant fleets going missing?

- You can use bribes to prevent expeditions from starting without any reputation penalty
- Reputation gain is quite easy once you're strong enough to beat up remnant fleets (by turning in AI cores to factions)

Hmm - it's probably not that but rather targeting stuff behind those

It can get a bit annoying how often the AI will do this with low tech stations. Particularly when you watch them unload 5 reapers into an indestructible spar.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: June 08, 2019, 06:48:22 PM »

Other random AI stuff of minor importance: I think the "dangerousness" of the Guardian is set too high. I have a pair of Omens that, with aggressive fleet doctrine, full assault, eliminate, and direct orders will not engage its unshielded engines.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: June 08, 2019, 07:07:05 PM »

Other random AI stuff of minor importance: I think the "dangerousness" of the Guardian is set too high. I have a pair of Omens that, with aggressive fleet doctrine, full assault, eliminate, and direct orders will not engage its unshielded engines.

Oh, hmm - that turned out to be an isolated case where recklessness/eliminate was not being respected. Fixed it up!

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: June 08, 2019, 08:16:29 PM »

Cool! :)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: June 09, 2019, 02:06:18 PM »

Is Increased Maintenance biased to spawn more frequently than others on almost every ship you can recover? It's really, really bad, so much that I've completely given up on salvaging ships in this version if I don't go for Recovery Operations.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: June 09, 2019, 02:55:06 PM »

And if it is not Increased Maintenance, it is Erratic Fuel Injector.  Both "Yuck!" on the biggest ships you can use at the time.  Doubly so if the ship has both.

I scuttle ships or reload games more now.  Recovering ships in 0.8.x or early 0.9a was a laid-back experience.  Now, I think it took a step back (toward punishing losses of pre-0.8 ) and losing ships is more punishing.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: June 09, 2019, 04:35:27 PM »

Is there any difference between taking ships and then scuttling them, or just leaving them?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: June 09, 2019, 05:19:38 PM »

Is Increased Maintenance biased to spawn more frequently than others on almost every ship you can recover? It's really, really bad, so much that I've completely given up on salvaging ships in this version if I don't go for Recovery Operations.

It's not.

Is there any difference between taking ships and then scuttling them, or just leaving them?

Should be the same. IIRC the only exception is if you have the skill that gives recovered ships some CR, in which case recovering + scuttling  may yield a bit more. Not 100% sure, actually - I remember tweaking something about this fairly recently.

Shoat

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: June 10, 2019, 07:36:13 AM »

True randomness can (and WILL) create chains of the same result and often seem biased to observers with very tiny sample sizes.
That's why music playlist shuffles nowadays no longer use real random shuffling, but a system that artificially lowers the weight of songs that have recently played.

Zhentar

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: June 11, 2019, 07:16:53 AM »

The pool of d-mods is small enough that you will encounter any given d-mod very frequently (e.g. a combat ship without hangars with 2 dmods has a 57% chance of having increased maintenance and/or erratic fuel injector). Increased Maintenance just sticks out because it's the only d-mod that renders ships unusable if you don't have two specific level 3 skills.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: June 11, 2019, 10:39:24 AM »

Increased Maintenance just sticks out because it's the only d-mod that renders ships unusable if you don't have two specific level 3 skills.

I feel like the impact of IM is way overestimated. It's 100% more supplies per month, so based on the *worst* parameter, it costs as much as having another ship of that type. However, this is offset by:

1) A 20% reduced deployment cost with no combat penalty; this alone can go a long way towards mitigating the supply use, depending on how much you use the ship
2) No increase in fuel consumption, compared to having a second ship
3) A 50% increase in crew required, vs 100% for a second ship

The downside is, of course, not having the 2nd ship. I mean, it's not a net benefit, but then again it is a d-mod. IMO it's nowhere near being unusable.

The pool of d-mods is small enough that you will encounter any given d-mod very frequently (e.g. a combat ship without hangars with 2 dmods has a 57% chance of having increased maintenance and/or erratic fuel injector).

For a non-phase non-carrier combat ships, there are 9 d-mods to pick from. The first time we pick, there's a 2 in 9 chance of getting IM or EFI. Assuming we didn't get either, the next time we pick, it's a 2 in 8 chance. Thus, the probability of not getting either of those for 2 d-mods is 7/9 * 6/8, or around 58%. The chance of getting one or both of IM/EFI, then, is 42%. Unless I've miscounted the number of applicable d-mods? Or messed up something else?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 10:47:29 AM by Alex »

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: June 11, 2019, 11:07:35 AM »

Perhaps that it's just how d-mods work. My issue with High Maintenance is that if I recover a ship, I intend to keep it. I salvage ships, but I don't use throwaways.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 62