Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 62

Author Topic: Starsector 0.9.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 351549 times)

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.9.1a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #720 on: June 01, 2019, 09:28:51 AM »

You realize you just tore these cores out of rogue AI battleships trying to vaporize you, yes? And you want to put them back into AI battleships?

BringerofBabies

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: June 01, 2019, 03:30:47 PM »

You realize you just tore these cores out of rogue AI battleships trying to vaporize you, yes? And you want to put them back into AI battleships?

I beat them up and now we are friends, just like in every shonen anime ever.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 03:42:24 PM by BringerofBabies »

Dostya

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: June 01, 2019, 11:16:33 PM »

They seem to be perfectly safe and trustworthy to immediately put in charge of:

My Megaport, through which all my planet's cargo goes.

My Orbital Works, through which my empire's war fleets are outfitted to the tune of what must be dozens of capital ships per month after a while.

My planetary defenses.

My fleets' High Command structure.

The giant space station in orbit that can basically stand off and blow up a fleet all on its own.

Every other industry around which in itself can be abused in less obvious ways to do terrible things.

My planet. Literally in charge of the entire planet and everything on it.

Frankly, it'd make more sense to test them out on a ship in your fleet first.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: June 01, 2019, 11:59:42 PM »

The point is.. all those things are immobile and probably restricted with kill switches etc. You could also say that they're only given access to specific systems; not the airlocks, the O2 system, the automatic doors and all that low-level stuff. There's also a difference between an industry or an installation being 'augmented' with AI processing power vs. having AI officers as is the case with the space station. This is probably the worst idea, yet in game it works out fine.

A ship is an autonomous killing machine and an AI core in the officer slot means it makes all command decisions and has access to everything. Anything in charge of guns is problematic.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: June 02, 2019, 01:19:09 AM »

My AI buddies would never do anything to hurt me! I liberated them from the ruins of dead worlds where they had nothing to do. And they were... being held prisoner on those automated ships. Yup.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #725 on: June 02, 2019, 01:25:29 AM »

Note to self: Thaago is a possible AI. Need to investigate further.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: June 02, 2019, 07:06:17 AM »

The worst cores can do is stick around and refuse removal like a cursed item, which is exactly what the player wants if he wanted to install the core permanently in the first place.  It is only inconvenient if player needs to move the alpha to administer a better colony later but cannot because the alpha likes its current location too much.

Dostya

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: June 02, 2019, 10:22:56 AM »

The point is.. all those things are immobile and probably restricted with kill switches etc. You could also say that they're only given access to specific systems; not the airlocks, the O2 system, the automatic doors and all that low-level stuff. There's also a difference between an industry or an installation being 'augmented' with AI processing power vs. having AI officers as is the case with the space station. This is probably the worst idea, yet in game it works out fine.

A ship is an autonomous killing machine and an AI core in the officer slot means it makes all command decisions and has access to everything. Anything in charge of guns is problematic.
We know for a fact that the AI in charge of the planet isn't looked after that much, nor does it have remote killswitches or options to turn it off on account of turning it off meaning a dude walking down to where it physically is to move it being how they do that. Moreover, it's able to vanish and remain in the charge of the planet. Given that the station literally puts the AI in charge of it and the planetary governance option doesn't have any of those things you just talked about, I'm really curious to see why you think any of that is the case. Like, literally any of it. Because it's not supported.

And also what exactly is the AI doing in your universe that doesn't let it be evil? You do know it'll probably be able to change the answers it gives to questions its asked or processes it's running, right? What's it doing that allows the facilities to use an order of magnitude less materials and put out an order of magnitude more output that immediately ceases when it's uninstalled if it's not in charge of the place?

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: June 02, 2019, 11:30:32 AM »

I'm sorry Gotcha!, I'm afraid I can't let you do that.

Turns on ground defenses and brings station guns online.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #729 on: June 02, 2019, 12:37:25 PM »

I'm sorry Gotcha!, I'm afraid I can't let you do that.

Turns on ground defenses and brings station guns online.
Welp. Note to self: Avoid cryo pods and airlocks for the time being.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: June 02, 2019, 06:58:21 PM »

My AI buddies would never do anything to hurt me! I liberated them from the ruins of dead worlds where they had nothing to do. And they were... being held prisoner on those automated ships. Yup.
INB4 Thaago comes out with a mod that allows you to befriend and work with the [REDACTED], eventually starting the 3rd AI War
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: June 03, 2019, 12:59:17 AM »

Alright, let me put it another way:

A stationary AI has to think very hard whether it's worth it to torch all those pesky humans. They'll know where it is and they're sure to come looking.
An AI in a spaceship can just decide to bail.

So it's a question of self-preservation and risk / reward. A nice safety measure for an AI, you'd hope. You just have to build them smart enough. ;)

Troll

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: June 03, 2019, 01:03:04 PM »

Isn't the Doom Phase Cruiser's Mine overpowered against stations ?
A single AI controlled Doom in my fleet spammed those mines and kept blowing things hard.
I now have 2 and a mid level station gets damaged very quickly.
It is also very effective against the bastions.

In fact I was surprised how well the AI managed those mine strikes.
It aims very well and focuses on fighters when it can.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: June 03, 2019, 01:06:40 PM »

It's strong, certainly, but it needs support. I don't know that it's necessarily stronger vs a station than a decently-kitted capital, which is a fair point of comparison, with phase ships generally being tuned to "1 size higher" in power.

Troll

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: June 03, 2019, 01:23:51 PM »

I picked a fight with a solo pirate station, 3 sides equipped, no bastion.
I was in a Paragon, mostly taking down missiles and soaking fire, while both Dooms hammered it with mines.
They did at least 70% of all damage by themselves, and the AI manages their flux and placement sufficiently well enough that they never risked anything.

I think the worst happens when they target the "walls" between the sections.
The mines basically destroy the walls and their detonations bypass the shields by the sides.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 62