Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 62

Author Topic: Starsector 0.9.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 351484 times)

MajorTheRed

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.9.1a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #675 on: May 26, 2019, 06:07:36 PM »

From my current play, I have the feeling that enemy fleets fight to the bitter end and fall back in a last resort. At the ship scale, same problem in regard to CR, ships don't try to flee if they have a low rating (<25%). Was it changed from 0.90 to 0.91?

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: May 27, 2019, 03:18:54 AM »

I rather find too many than not enough.  People should not explore the entire sector before finding one.  It is probably endgame by the time player can fully explore half of the entire sector, if he has not wasted too much time babysitting colonies.
This comes from from opposed playstyles and expectations.
eg:
People should not explore the entire sector before finding one.
I would have no problem whatsoever if the RNG decided there were zero of some forge item to be found this time round.

I would vastly prefer the 'default' condition for all player colonies to be no forges etc. at all. And finding one is a geuninely rare event that not only prompts the player to make a potentially difficult decision, but actually makes them feel like they've found something good.
Until then - make do with what you have.

Imo, the entire point of having RNG anything is that it is never the same from game to game. And with forge items currently, you can expect to find multiples of each of the three (current) items with minimal effort, and often before the player even has a colony to utilise them.
It's the same almost every game.
In several starts I have played I did not even have to leave the core to aquire several forge items from the untouched ruins therein.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: May 27, 2019, 05:41:02 AM »

Imo, the entire point of having RNG anything is that it is never the same from game to game. And with forge items currently, you can expect to find multiples of each of the three (current) items with minimal effort, and often before the player even has a colony to utilise them.
It's the same almost every game.
In several starts I have played I did not even have to leave the core to aquire several forge items from the untouched ruins therein.
Now that Industrial Planning 1 no longer reduces demand, I think all of the special items are mandatory.  No other good way to meet demand of the essential commodities (like fuel and supplies).  Cores do not count due to major aggro with Pathers and/or Hegemony.

Randomness is not fun when it leads to frustration.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: May 27, 2019, 08:11:08 AM »

I can agree with that, in principal.
It's just that I don't consider not having an item that makes something super good to be frustrating. It's just 'normal'.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: May 27, 2019, 08:44:56 AM »

I can agree with that, in principal.
It's just that I don't consider not having an item that makes something super good to be frustrating. It's just 'normal'.
It would be nice to have old Industrial Planning 1 back as a fallback.  Falling that, if I cannot find the item, then there is raiding for that item, which kind of stinks.  I remember raiding for nanoforge in two out of four of my games in 0.9a because I could not find the item (I picked the wrong half of the sector to fully explore first).

Today, it seems the drop rate has been tweaked.  So far, I found a single synchrotron and pristine nanoforge in both of my 0.9.1a games.  Much fewer corrupted nanoforges too.

With the way things are designed now, special item is the 'normal', not item-less, because all factions have one and you (eventually) need an item to meet demand that needs commodities from heavy industry and fuel production.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: May 27, 2019, 10:42:59 AM »

I agree with Serenitis: I would prefer the base balance be set for not receiving the items, and then have the items be rare rewards for exploration - or raiding, or finding the Mothership, or story rewards! Items for colonies have great potential to be motivating elements for active gameplay.

I would also like their to be installables for other industries and structures, so that even if a player doesn't find a synchrotron core they can still find something that gives direction for a particular playthrough. (Again a Serenitis post from a few days back).

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: May 27, 2019, 10:53:11 AM »

I agree with Serenitis: I would prefer the base balance be set for not receiving the items, and then have the items be rare rewards for exploration - or raiding, or finding the Mothership, or story rewards! Items for colonies have great potential to be motivating elements for active gameplay.

I would also like their to be installables for other industries and structures, so that even if a player doesn't find a synchrotron core they can still find something that gives direction for a particular playthrough. (Again a Serenitis post from a few days back).

Yeah, all this sounds good to me in general (and I took a few notes after reading Serentis' post :D - as well as a few others in a similar vein elsewhere on the forum, I think?). I don't think Synchrotron/Pristine Nano are really necessary even now - you can certainly have profitable colonies without 'em.

(Edit: in particular, I really like the idea of having more items specific to certain industries to shape playthroughs a bit more, but I forget who brought it up. I've also been kicking about the the idea of having more infrastructure to find that factors into industries, so that's along similar lines... well, will have to see how it pans out! Currently keeping a list of ideas, which isn't the same as it being a todo list, if that makes sense.)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 10:58:33 AM by Alex »

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: May 27, 2019, 11:28:12 AM »

Because there's no definite end point to the game, the player will almost certainly find every special item if they play long enough. As a consequence, I believe players currently expect to find them.

Personally, I don't expect any backlash when you break that assumption, but it's something to keep in mind.

Shoat

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: May 27, 2019, 12:10:36 PM »

I don't think Synchrotron/Pristine Nano are really necessary even now - you can certainly have profitable colonies without 'em.

I totally agree with you there. However, many players (in all games, not just this one) have the unhealthy attitude to look at the mathematically-best "optimal case" and decide that that is "the default" that should always be fulfilled - Anything that is "less than optimal" is in their mind automatically reduced to "not viable", and it's very difficult to convince them that that is not how the words "default" and "viable" work.

I am also on the side of Serenitis: I find way too many forges and synchotrons (and medium/high AI cores) to know what to do with, and I'd also like them to be a "sometimes, very rarely, not in every campaign you start" type of deal. It would also make the big empire capitals that have nanoforges become very valuable targets to fight over - currently I have very little motivation to try and conquer other factions' markets.

Having more other industry-boosters to apply to things other than heavy and fuel would be cool, too. Also, there are still some industries for which I find the alpha core tooltip to be a bit unclear and also couldn't see any difference when applying it (such as basic population or tech mining).

Zhentar

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: May 27, 2019, 01:09:48 PM »

The game does push players towards "must supply everything in faction" currently; you pay penalties for importing (hulls, specifically) and get bonuses for meeting demand yourself. Perhaps there should be benefits to importing cross faction as well, to make it more of a trade-off; perhaps you could get small opinion boosts with factions you are buying from, or they could be less inclined to send expeditions (or even intercede in other faction expeditions - the people selling you ore don't want your refineries disrupted!)

Dostya

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: May 27, 2019, 01:14:54 PM »

Given that previous lore indicated that without constant Domain supplies terraforming is a Big Thing to the point where the sector collapsed for lack of it, a terraforming item/module should be something that'll attract A: jealousy, B: offers for it (Chicomoztoc but habitable like Gilead? Hegemony want), and C: should be pretty amazingly resource intensive to deploy. Seriously amazingly expensive. Gratuitously expensive. Victory lap expensive. Otherwise, who wouldn't have been terraforming?

As far as rarity for forges and synchrotrons, it was really cool to find a corrupted nanoforge for the first time. And a synchrotron. However, corrupted nanoforges are all but worthless after the exploration phase and you don't really need more than one or two synchrotrons while you'll easily find seven or eight of the things. Pristine nanforges are still valuable-ish from both their rarity and boost to construction capacity, but by end game the player will be able to just spam out orbital yards with corrupt nanoforges everywhere, only need one pristine nanoforge for the quality boost, and that's good enough. You won't replace millions in a month such like if everything was pristine, but really who cares it's surplus to all but the most ludicrous of needs.

I'm honestly not sure what to do with AI cores. The alphas are without exception useful one way or another (Better administration without impacting cap? Better Access? Bigger fleets? More ground defense? Okay, sure, I've always got a use for that somewhere or other) and I'll drop them in somewhere, but it's rare that the beta and gamma cores are useful now. The beta core maintenence reduction is effectively useless with a comprehensive industry list, and that just makes them gamma cores. You might consider making beta cores change how industry responds from shortages from losing a trade fleet or something, I dunno. They need something more.

On a funnier note, while I was trundling around with frigates in my new game I noticed a small pirate raiding group fleeing from pursuing Hegemony forces that had the radar signature of an armada. Turns out it was an armada originally, but the minimap signature didn't update after it got blasted to pieces.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: May 27, 2019, 02:08:13 PM »

... I've also been kicking about the the idea of having more infrastructure to find that factors into industries, so that's along similar lines... well, will have to see how it pans out! Currently keeping a list of ideas, which isn't the same as it being a todo list, if that makes sense.)

Raiding Volturn so we can steal their lobsters and breed our own?!

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: May 27, 2019, 06:16:10 PM »

I certainly want Pristine Nanoforge to reliably crank out pristine ships.  I guess corrupted is enough if colony has orbital works, stability 10, and max quality doctrine.  Without any nanoforge, building pristine ships is a crapshoot, and might as well recover clunkers from enemies (or buy ships if I can afford it).

Quick question:  Assuming Pather interest does not change, when do sleeper cells become active?  I have ignored a particular pather base linked to every cell in the core worlds for several years (they do not bother me, why should I bother them?), and every last world that had sleeper cells (from 7 interest) have active cells just like those with 8 or more interest.

psi_reaver

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: May 27, 2019, 11:19:04 PM »

Don't know if it's a bug or something, but my colonies don't generate any battle fleets at all. I have 4 colonies size 5-7 and fleet size 250-300% in the same system, all of them have Patrol HQ, I've set doctrine for my fleets and all I got - some pathetic fast pickets containing 5-7 ships (mostly frigates) that can do nothing. Meanwhile, factions keep sending to my colonies bunch of fleets with 30 ships (half of them are capitals) in every fleet. I don't really understand how I should protect my colonies if my faction cannot produce any fleets.

UPD: I have two orbital works with nanoforges.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 11:22:47 PM by psi_reaver »

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: May 27, 2019, 11:27:39 PM »

Patrol HQs produce small picket fleets which are powerless vs small pirate fleets without pristine ships. You need military bases for bigger fleets.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 62