Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 62

Author Topic: Starsector 0.9.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 351510 times)

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.9.1a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #510 on: May 17, 2019, 12:11:41 PM »

I've been finding that with a colony, I park what I don't need.  If I'm doing exploration, I can get away with a small, cheap fleet.  If I'm doing bounty missions or need to defend the colony from a raid, I pull out the expensive heavy hitters.  That mitigates a lot of my running costs I find.

I've been playing a lot of spacer/iron man and after a number of runs I think I'm getting a feel for how to do that start successfully.  Although Iron man does tend to mean I restart quite often. :)

Spacer introduces the complication that your levels actually have an in game credit cost (i.e. 1,000 credits per level per month), which means initially you want to stay low level while building up an initial bank account.  I will point out this is somewhat unintuitive game play (generally one might assume being higher level is better) and I'm not sure if this the gameplay Alex was going for with the spacer start, although given he's hidden it in a settings file I'm guessing he also doesn't think its ready for prime time.

Even exploring will provide XP, just not nearly as much as combat, and so for skills, I grab Navigation 3, and then Fleet logistics 2, in that order.  The strategic options provided by Navigation 3 on an Iron man run are invaluable (both in terms of keeping at 20 speed sustained burn and simply escaping a system at any point).

Anyways I tend to accept a bunch of exploration missions over 15-30 days while hanging around the core sector doing a delivery mission or two, or perhaps some drug or weapons smuggling, and then do a grand tour of the sector to complete the exploration missions.  I can generally do 3-6 exploration missions in ~120 days (150k-300k) plus a delivery for another 10-20k.  This tends to be low experience gain, especially if you just run the sensor package and don't actually salvage the target (or especially fight the defenses). 

This typically will let me build up credits at a steady rate over time with a fairly small fleet.  Each cycle is basically enough credits to buy a cruiser.  Given I'm not fighting, the playtime goes relatively quickly, although still quite exciting when you realize you accepted a mission for a yellow or red warning system.  To be honest, I find myself actually using the stealth mechanics and have started seriously considering grabbing the sensors skill.

My objective during this time is to get enough credits to start a colony, build a profitable industry, get a starbase, and enough destroyer and cruiser class firepower to handle the first pirate fleet that comes for the colony and enough firepower to take out a tier 1 pirate base.  At that point you can start to relax, as your trickle of income is enough to at least offset the crew costs plus monthly debt.  When I do explore missions after that, I'll leave the combat ships at home and still use my low cost exploration fleet, which minimizes my running costs.

Depending on what ships you happen to come across exploring/salvaging, you can get started on 0.5 to 1.0 million credits I think.  500,000 towards the colony and first few buildings, and 500,000 towards a cheaply bought destroyer/cruiser fleet (500,000 should be enough for 3 cruisers).  If you found some salvageable cruisers (or capitals) during your exploration phase, you can probably get away with less.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: May 17, 2019, 01:11:31 PM »

Hotfix is up! Well, very much a warmfix, but in any case - see OP for details.

Also, just realized that I never uploaded the new javadoc for 0.9.1a, so will be doing that shortly.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: May 17, 2019, 01:53:00 PM »

... and the new javadoc is up.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #513 on: May 17, 2019, 02:11:15 PM »

Nice going, bug squisher. :)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: May 17, 2019, 02:13:56 PM »

Nice! Just started a new run today before you updated it.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: May 17, 2019, 03:49:27 PM »

I guess it is time for me to restart.  My seed was kind of crappy due to lack of good colony systems.

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: May 17, 2019, 05:47:22 PM »

I'm loving the additional hyperspace lanes!

My two colonies are separated by quite a distance, but there is a somewhat indirect route that has you avoid all of the hyperspace cloud.  I find myself wanting to give names to the "landmarks" on that hyperspace route since I traverse it often.

Kind of feels more like I'm really navigating through hyperspace, and I now find myself checking out the hyperspace map to find new routes when I want to get somewhere.

(I have to admit, I could of just gotten lucky with the random seed, but I don't remember finding clear routes between stars that I did in my current game).

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #517 on: May 17, 2019, 11:44:45 PM »

I had one escape scenario where my fleet started more than halfway up the map (screenshot). Is this intended, a mod bug, or something else?

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: May 18, 2019, 03:35:26 AM »

Should these old pirate base intel listings expire on their own, or is there a way I can force this? I've waited I think a month in-game.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #519 on: May 18, 2019, 03:44:29 AM »

In the config, there's this line: "adminMaxHireable":20,
In-game however, the max administrators you can hire and have is 3. Is adminMaxHireable meant for something else entirely? Or is this a bug?
If it's not a bug, is there another way the number of admins can be increased?

Oblivion

• Ensign
  • Breaking careful game balance since 1999.
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: May 18, 2019, 05:19:43 AM »

In the config, there's this line: "adminMaxHireable":20,
In-game however, the max administrators you can hire and have is 3. Is adminMaxHireable meant for something else entirely? Or is this a bug?
If it's not a bug, is there another way the number of admins can be increased?

The total amount of admins increases when you reach a certain combined faction market level. I think there’s also a skill which increases the max number.
<Nada>

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #521 on: May 18, 2019, 05:44:29 AM »

The total amount of admins increases when you reach a certain combined faction market level.
Of all factions? Or just the player's faction?
If all factions, uhh... I guess that means that bombing the crap out of various factions' military bases to decivilise them in order to stop their attacks was a bad idea then. ???

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #522 on: May 18, 2019, 05:47:06 AM »

Own faction only, and it's only in Nexerelin (not a vanilla feature).

The settings.json value you want is baseMaxAdmins (note Nexerelin also modifies it, so you may want to change its file as well).

adminMaxHireable controls how many admins are available to hire from comm boards throughout the sector at any one time.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #523 on: May 18, 2019, 05:53:02 AM »

Thanks! I thought that option made it possible to have two or more admins on one planet, so I didn't touch it. Derp.
Some of them are a bit too cryptic for me. ;)

Awe

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: May 18, 2019, 08:47:42 AM »

New patch, new game. Some smuggling at start, as usual. Then first survey expedition find recoverable paragon at the third visited system. Badly d-modded, but who cares - its a free paragon at Oct 206.  ;D
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 62