Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 62

Author Topic: Starsector 0.9.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 351584 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.9.1a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #495 on: May 16, 2019, 01:43:48 PM »

I am not comfortable with HAG on Legion.  It costs more OP and flux to use.  I like HAG on Onslaught or Conquest, but Legion is a bit flux starved to sustain two HAG and other smaller guns.  I guess Mark IX and HAG combo can work.

Normally, I prefer Hellbore and Heavy AC on standard Legion for the extra range.  But, I wanted to see what could work if I ported as much as I could from the Legion (XIV), especially the 700 range on the smaller guns.  I tried Railguns, Heavy Mortars, and Devastators, but it was a bit flux intensive (not too much, but a bit more than comfortable).  The PD was great, but the flux use, not so much.

eidolad

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: May 16, 2019, 03:33:16 PM »

Thumper is a general go-to...watch how nicely a pair of Thumpers does on an Enforcer...those dual stream of hits puts stress on shields.  So the third fwd facing medium can be an armor buster.

Totally subjective comment by finance-challenged player:  is it me, or is a commission more necessary to support the early game finances than in the previous game version? 

I don't do the "focused gameplay to get a million credits"...rather I play a general fleet mix that gets bigger, doing stuff, and just so happens to want to build enough to start a colony.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: May 16, 2019, 06:12:31 PM »

I did not need commission, although getting colonies skills early is not a good idea.  While raids and expeditions seem toned down compared to before, early colonies do not make much money.  If anything, player probably needs to focus skills on combat stuff early to keep up with named bounties before they become too strong.

While bounties transition smoothly, getting better ships is harder (they cost more) and player cannot rely on huge colony income like last release, player needs to be about endgame strong by about the start of 208 to defeat named bounties without suffering too many casualties.  The time scaling is a bit better, but still a bit tight for comfort.

Colonies still seem like a lategame or endgame thing because you need money to buy the ships you need to kill bounties, and colonies are too expensive to set up early.  (That 100k for a waystation buys a cruiser, and the 450k you need to build a critical industry can get you a capital you need to attack named bounties.)

That said, until you build a colony that is worth something, it is a good idea to get commission until you get a colony going.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: May 16, 2019, 06:15:27 PM »

My favorite legion is still the dual gauss cannon, bombers, and either 4 of 5 medium missiles. It has absolutely fantastic long ranged pressure and kill power and is used very well by the AI. I know, not your kind of ship though as the medium missiles are quite ammo limited. :)

For the XIV I just slapped on 5 HVD's and 2 squalls... lazy of me, but I was short on other weapons at the time (strangely, but I was exploring) and it worked out ok for an AI captain so I never bothered to change it. I'm currently flying an SO Dominator and am still cackling with mad glee, so haven't brawled the XIV this version myself.

Re: Commission. I've found myself wanting one more for the ship/weapon availability, but of course comes with the price of more victims faction enemies, which can be a threat. The extra money certainly wouldn't hurt however. I haven't done a very money focused playthrough this time around either, mainly enough bounty hunting to support wandering around exploring, and money was pretty tight early-mid game (did not have a commission).

Re: needing colonies to kill bounties: not my experience so far to be honest - for me its the exact opposite. I kill a bounty or two to get the 500k for the next structure (but then again I just got my heavy industry online, so maybe this will change).

Awe

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: May 16, 2019, 11:23:05 PM »

Totally subjective comment by finance-challenged player:  is it me, or is a commission more necessary to support the early game finances than in the previous game version? 

I don't do the "focused gameplay to get a million credits"...rather I play a general fleet mix that gets bigger, doing stuff, and just so happens to want to build enough to start a colony.

After this ship price changes, imho, early smuggling is better way to get funds for colony start. Now its a bit harder to build up fleet for decent bounties, but even now commission is not necessary - just rush field repairs(3) and enjoy your mighty flying trash bins fleet. =)

Awe

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: May 16, 2019, 11:45:18 PM »

Colonies still seem like a lategame or endgame thing because you need money to buy the ships you need to kill bounties, and colonies are too expensive to set up early.  (That 100k for a waystation buys a cruiser, and the 450k you need to build a critical industry can get you a capital you need to attack named bounties.)

That said, until you build a colony that is worth something, it is a good idea to get commission until you get a colony going.

Early colony is cheap and profitable. Just dont build everything available. All you really need is mining or farming for like 25k monthly profit. Initial investment is ~50k for some troops transports(2 nebulas), ~100k for mats and another 100k for first industry. Not a big deal.

PS Jul 207. First colony at Penelope Star. ^.^ Exploration fleet is ready. Wayfarer+shepperd start, tutorial skipped.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 12:14:32 AM by Awe »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: May 17, 2019, 04:58:29 AM »

250K to build a colony for only 25k a month?  That is not good enough with a tight time scaling schedule where I need those two cruisers or a capital now to kill those named bounties that still scale a bit too fast for comfort.  I can get that 250k back right now if I can take one more named bounty (that I could not kill without those extra ships).  25k a month is a bit too slow if I happen to just fall behind and cannot catch up to the scaling.

@ Alex:  The new Atlas II and Prometheus II capitals are categorized as "Low Tech" when viewing blueprints or production, shouldn't they be under "Pirate" or "Luddic Path" (for filter purposes) like the other similarly hacked hulls?

Awe

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: May 17, 2019, 06:10:31 AM »

250K to build a colony for only 25k a month?  That is not good enough with a tight time scaling schedule where I need those two cruisers or a capital now to kill those named bounties that still scale a bit too fast for comfort.  I can get that 250k back right now if I can take one more named bounty (that I could not kill without those extra ships).  25k a month is a bit too slow if I happen to just fall behind and cannot catch up to the scaling.

Just look at screens. I build this little colony and still have 600k and fleet capable to do up to 150k bounties. Game still generate bounties from 50 to 300. And main thing about having profitable colony - i can always skip unbeatable bounties and even dont do anything because colony already cover my fleet expenses. And colony will generate more money with time. (just because of growth)

Also, i dont remember when its added, but now you can just take delivery missions from a bar and they are pretty profitable - 50-200k for a fast trip(if you have some cargo ships). So, getting some cash for another colony, or another 2 cruisers isnt problem at all. Falling behind bounty scaling is just a fantastic story in current game build.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: May 17, 2019, 08:10:20 AM »

I see the screens.

I could handle 150k bounties with some difficulty.  The problem is that only lasts for about six to twelve months before most bounties spike yet again to 250k+ by about cycle 208 (even if I am not totally aggressive at killing them and raising bounty level the old-fashioned way via combat) and if I my fleet is not endgame strong by then, then income slows to a trickle, and I have expeditions to deal with if I have a colony that has anything other than farming or tech-mining.  Any tweaks that eased the problems of bounty scaling last release has been partially offset by slower progression forced on the player by more expensive ships and slower colony building.  If player should spend more time in the early-game or mid-game phase, then time scaling for bounties should be slowed a bit more too.  If bounties are still time scaling like before (except for deserters appearing later), then player still has some pressure to get to the endgame level as soon as possible (despite attempts to slow progression) to survive the inevitable opposition.

40k-120k from exploration missions, bar missions, and smuggling as primary income is not quite enough late when I need lots of money to buy big ships (to fight enemy cruisers and capitals), lots of supplies and fuel, and/or most colony stuff late in the game.  That is good earlier in the game, but not so much later, and the game kind of forces endgame strong enemies by 208, whether it is bounties or colony defense.  More precisely, the time taken to profit from non-combat kind of pales to high combat bounties.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 09:05:22 AM by Megas »

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #504 on: May 17, 2019, 09:10:49 AM »

Am I correct in assuming Tech-Mining is utterly useless after the ruins have been combed clean?

Also kinda wish they'd still generate a few supplies.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: May 17, 2019, 09:26:17 AM »

Am I correct in assuming Tech-Mining is utterly useless after the ruins have been combed clean?

Also kinda wish they'd still generate a few supplies.
I remove tech-mines after the message reads "comprehensively combed multiple times".  Until then, there is a chance for a rare item.

That said, with New Maxios being an easy place to rob many blueprints from, I rely tech-mining less for blueprints.

Speaking of New Maxios, the administrator probably should get Planetary Operations 3 to force the player to get a few more marines to rob blueprints from.  EDIT:  ...Or maybe not, since stability bonus from PO3 means I can raid New Maxios twice in a row due to higher stability.  Stability is the biggest limiter of raiding.  It is generally not a good idea to decivilize planets you want to rob from by excessive raiding.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 09:33:51 AM by Megas »

Awe

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: May 17, 2019, 10:17:06 AM »

I have expeditions to deal with if I have a colony that has anything other than farming or tech-mining.

And do you really need something special early on? ;)
Mining? In current game doesnt triggered anything for 1.5 years. Just easy 40k/month(at 4 size). Must have asap.
Farming? Dont have any currently. And dont remember raids from previous game. Was like 60k/month at 7 size colony. Definitely must have.
Light industry? Trigger raids from time to time. Even because of organic production. Not sure about Pathers. Didnt test it alone. Probably can be build asap too.
Heavy industry? Trigger raids, attract Pathers. In current game barely profitable at 200% solo colony. 25k exports, 20k upkeep. Dont build it until you want to start some own production.
Fuel production? Trigger raids from Syndrian from time to time. Most profitable industry. (at least with special thingy) Like heavy industry can be delayed until you feel ready to defend it. Or just build it and ignore downtimes - must be profitable anyway.
Freeport? Very good thing to speed up colony growth and boost export profit, but trigger regular raids from Haegemony and this raids is most dangerous - they disable colony spaceport and its mean big money loss - no export, only upkeep bills. Trigger only if you ready to repel(or bribe) raids or can afford to ignore it(multiple colonies mitigate consequences).

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: May 17, 2019, 11:07:55 AM »

I had Mining trigger Tri-Tachyon raids on high ore worlds before.  I do not know if high volatiles or organics can trigger raids as well.  Guess low yield worlds (and no Industrial Planning on admin) are safe enough.

Refinery can attract expeditions.

Light Industry does not attract Pathers at all.  It may be safe enough from expeditions, at least at low sizes.

I do not use Free Port for now because 1) stability malus and 2) spaceport raids.  Unlike last release, it does not double profits as soon as I click it, so the only reasons I really want it is to accelerate colony growth and maybe boost accessibility on a fringe world too far from core.  Maybe to keep miners happy too if that colony is a mining one.

I guess a problem is when do safe worlds become not safe anymore because colony grew too big?  What may be safe at size 3 may not be at size 5 or more.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: May 17, 2019, 11:13:19 AM »

@ Alex:  The new Atlas II and Prometheus II capitals are categorized as "Low Tech" when viewing blueprints or production, shouldn't they be under "Pirate" or "Luddic Path" (for filter purposes) like the other similarly hacked hulls?

Good catch, thank you.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: May 17, 2019, 11:57:42 AM »

Bounty scaling is always going to be tough to balance, because the difficulty of bounties depends so much on fleet composition, skill selection, and just player skill. Current scaling seems to be on the fast side for some players and slow side for others, so its probably in a good place.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 62