Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 62

Author Topic: Starsector 0.9.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 351541 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.9.1a (In-Dev) Patch Notes
« Reply #120 on: February 10, 2019, 08:44:10 AM »

If officers and admins can be renamed, I like to rename my character too.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 10, 2019, 08:52:26 AM »

If officers and admins can be renamed, I like to rename my character too.

Way ahead of you :)

Ali

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 10, 2019, 11:13:08 AM »

Is there any chance for a "metal sink" in the future if there isn't already? Being able to look at other markets to see where there's a demand is great but my metal stockpiles build up faster than i can fidn places to sell at a profit?

Are there any plans for more;

- planatary conditions ( more positive one's ) there's a lot of negative one's but few positive's?
- special items ( synchotron & nanoforge are great / cool ) will we see more we can use with our colonies?
- industries / structures - will we see more of these? & upgrades for each!  ;D
- any plans to add more skills to fill out the skill tree's?  any chance some sort of bonus will return for putting a point in the core stats instead of it just being a gateway to putting points into the next tier  :-\  is bit underwealming to gain a level than not get anything from it if your using your point to access the next tier  :-[

many thanks for keeping the updates / content coming!!  ;D

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 10, 2019, 11:32:19 AM »

Is there any chance for a "metal sink" in the future if there isn't already? Being able to look at other markets to see where there's a demand is great but my metal stockpiles build up faster than i can fidn places to sell at a profit?

Maybe; not specifically looking to add something to do with metals, but if something were to come up that would neatly fit in here, I'm not opposed to doing that, either.

Are there any plans for more;

- planatary conditions ( more positive one's ) there's a lot of negative one's but few positive's?
- special items ( synchotron & nanoforge are great / cool ) will we see more we can use with our colonies?
- industries / structures - will we see more of these? & upgrades for each!  ;D
- any plans to add more skills to fill out the skill tree's?  any chance some sort of bonus will return for putting a point in the core stats instead of it just being a gateway to putting points into the next tier  :-\  is bit underwealming to gain a level than not get anything from it if your using your point to access the next tier  :-[

Nothing I would call "plans", no. As far as skills specifically, I've got some ideas about some adjustments to make, but not quite ready to talk about it, or 100% decided on it!

many thanks for keeping the updates / content coming!!  ;D

Thanks for your support :)

cjy4312

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 11, 2019, 09:05:07 AM »

Changes as of January 31, 2019
  • Fixed issue where torpedoes and other AoE projectiles hitting a station's shield could damage other modules technically behind the shield.

How about the same issue with EMP system?

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 11, 2019, 09:19:27 AM »

Speaking of officers, can you make an option where they die when their ship explode? I hate it when they're the only survivor of the entire crew. Captains should go down with their ship, not flee in an escape pod.
There's at least one mod that added that behavior.  It was terrible.  Ship AI is pretty good these days, but it still occasionally derps and gets itself killed for no good reason; that's only really tolerable when you can restore the ship after the fact.  Good, high-level officers are not easy to acquire; losing one would be a reload-the-game situation for me.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 11, 2019, 09:56:25 AM »

Same here as Wyvern.  I would reload the game if an officer is lost.  I place Reinforced Bulkheads on all ships without officers so I do not reload the game as soon as I lose a ship.  (The few ships that cannot spare OP for Reinforced Bulkheads either get an officer or do not get used at all.)

Nexerelin features (or featured) officer death, and I reloaded a save the instant that happened.  (I think I might have turned them off after I saw officer death.)

I would only tolerate losing officers if losing my character or fleet resulted in "GAME OVER" instead of wipe-and-respawn.  In other words, I chose to play game with permadeath option, which Starsector does not have.  (Iron Man is not it.)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 09:58:26 AM by Megas »

SapphireSage

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 11, 2019, 10:27:06 AM »

Agree with above, if it is implemented I would like it as an option defaulted to off.

Nexerelin does have it as a (requested tbf) feature and I generally always turn it off. There was one point in a pre-0.9 patch where I had updated Nexerelin and forgot to adjust the rules back to disallow officer death and lost a level 20 cruiser because it derped into an enemy ball for a fleet that otherwise would've been an easy mop up after a couple hours of play. If it was just the cruiser I could've easily replaced the cruiser, but grinding good level 20 officers are a major pain.

Cyan Leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 11, 2019, 08:32:03 PM »

I agree with Wyvern but I wouldn't mind the option for those that want it. Maybe a toggle in the settings file?

xor0

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 14, 2019, 07:11:59 PM »

An intermediate option could be for officers to lose some skills upon losing their ship.

Zelnik

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 16, 2019, 02:32:48 PM »

how long are we going to wait for this hotfix?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 16, 2019, 03:29:41 PM »

It's not a hotfix, and "until it's ready(tm)" :) (I do get that it's been a bit; I'd like to get it out asap, but it's just a lot of stuff.)

Aethelric

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 16, 2019, 03:38:50 PM »

Officer death would be more tolerable if you weren't always pretty limited on officer count (even with skills). If you could have, say, six or seven officers at base level, occasionally having one top-tier character die due to a stupid decision would be more tolerable because you'd probably have some at-or-near level 20 officers to move into their place and could pick up a new one to train up on smaller vessels. Granted, I'd be fine with officer death with the current system. As it stands, the power curve in this game for competent players gets to "basically unbeatable except by high-level [REDACTED]" within a cycle or two at most. Officer death way to keep the player's effectiveness down without the more blunt tools of economics would be welcome imo.

As for everyone's "I'd just save scum"—that's a personal choice you're making that makes the game less challenging and interesting. If Alex were to balance around things that frustrated certain players enough to make them save scum, the whole game would suffer.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 16, 2019, 04:16:53 PM »

As for everyone's "I'd just save scum"—that's a personal choice you're making that makes the game less challenging and interesting. If Alex were to balance around things that frustrated certain players enough to make them save scum, the whole game would suffer.
I disagree with less challenging and interesting.  I call it "saving time" and "anti-frustration".  If it is faster for me to reload the game and try again than it is to recover from the loss, I reload.  Same reasoning why players in roguelikes commit suicide and rebuild than try to recover a crippled character by grinding for rare items that can restore lost stats.

Leveling up an officer to max takes significant time, probably more time than grinding for most ships and weapons.  If it is a choice of spending hours to get a replacement versus a few minutes to reload and try again, I take the faster option.  This is why I love the combination of Reinforced Bulkheads with guaranteed loadout recovery.  Before, I reloaded the game anytime I lost rare stuff, which was everything that could not be found in Open Market.  Now, as long as the fleet does not wipe, I usually continue play.

Aethelric

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 16, 2019, 06:29:15 PM »

The game is objectively less challenging if every loss or mistake is wiped away by a reload. I certainly save-scum myself sometimes when something really wonky or buggy happens, to be sure, but the effect on the difficulty and power curve is obvious. Your roguelike analogy actually reinforces my point, in my opinion: it'd be one thing to reset a crippled, unwinnable game, but simply save-scumming in that same scenario would obviously defeat the whole purpose of a roguelike! Ditto for Starsector and "the way it's meant to be played".

Reloading every time you encounter any setback of any note is basically just playing with cheat codes on. Asking Alex then not to develop new features for players who want the intended experience because you'll save-scum is, therefore, a bit silly imo.

But, like everyone has said: officer death could easily be just a part of the "iron man" mode or just simply a tickable option, leaving players who don't want that additional level of difficulty out of the equation.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 62